Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "enthusiastic but misguided" fans under the police box...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
O come on commander your comments are seething with a current of contempt and pure vitriol, an unpleasant, almost foul, odour of bitterness wafts from your lonely keyboard, a sprinkling of righteousness added to season your sourness towards these fellow fans. You're so wrapped up in pontificating that you've become blind to the very essence of your words.

Ps see my signature. And then PM the judge if your know he posts on here. Ie stop fishing, just go to the mongers instead. There's a good chap. Now I'm done on this subject. Nothing left to add and got better things going on in my life even if others haven't.

Nonsense, my posts (on this thread) have been nothing of the kind. The only line of defence for these people I've heard so far is "stop moaning about people trying to create an atmosphere", which has been blown out of the water several times for completely missing the point that is being repeatedly made.

I can't see your signature on tapatalk, what does it say?

On Monday I'm pretty sure I heard them chorus "Can you hear the West Stand sing?" - which just about sums up their internecine approach.

Yep, you certainly did. Is this "trying to create an atmosphere"?

paul pring

Aug 11, 2011
tonbridge
the amex ain't like the goldstone,a midweek night match with the fog comeing in under the floodlights was special and standing in the north was great and all sang together:albion2:

paul pring

Aug 11, 2011
tonbridge
don't wear that mask again,it scared everyone
What an utter load of crap.........

Ok so the Tony Bloom Army chant is annoying as hell... but they do SING! If it wasn't for the North West corner the atmosphere would resemble that of a library at times.

With response to the barmy army chant yesterday, everyone around me was asking 'what are they singing?!'... People wanted to get involved in the first 'continuous' song from the North East in months!!!

So rather than giving it large, how about you start a few chants and demonstrate what your version of a vocal fan is.

:tosser:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Christ on a bike, what the hell is everyone on about?

Whether the police box crew are influential or not is beside the point. They are entitled to sing what they want. Could you hear the West Stand sing? Honestly, could you? No, neither could I, and I was in the West Stand Upper.

The solution is simple. Bloody sing yourself.

Only Albion fans could bloody whine about something like this.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This isn't about trying to do something with the atmosphere, it's about a set of fans who seem to be refusing to join in with others in singing and then taking their turn when it quietens down. If we can resolve this issue, I am sure the issue regarding an atmosphere will be solved.

Exactly. The North Stand being the singing stand is fairly small compared with a lot of other clubs, so it needs to be united and sing/support together.
As a poster stated earlier, the West upper north end used to join in and be very lively and loud......what happened.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
the amex ain't like the goldstone,a midweek night match with the fog comeing in under the floodlights was special and standing in the north was great and all sang together:albion2:

Surely that's the point - if everyone in the North mostly (but not always) sang together like it was (mostly but not always) at the Goldstone we would not be having this debate. No one is suggesting that we shouldn't have a range of songs, although one or two are dirge like rather than stirring - the main issue is the singing being fragmented and diluting the vocal impact of our support, especially at vital moments in a game when the place should be rocking, instead it can seem like a library.

The scary thing for me was a) being able to hear those normally timid Watford fans of all people singing and b) when they broke into 'shall we sing a song for you'................ that sums it up and is shameful when we supposedly have 20k fans inside The Amex.

However I am not suggesting we should have a drum or brass band to generate an atmosphere........God forbid.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Barmy Army is a cricket chant and nothing to do with the Albion. Where as Tony Blooms blue and white army clearly does.

When it also says "Blue and White" (albeit a bit quiet) - im pretty sure it does have something to do with the Albion.

Agree with the location - the middle of the North would be MUCH better - but credit to them for actually putting effort into attempting to create an atmosphere unlike a lot of people in the ground.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Barmy Army is a cricket chant and nothing to do with the Albion. Where as Tony Blooms blue and white army clearly does.

Perfect example. 90% of the North got one song going, but rather than join in, this lot didn't like it so sung something completely different over and over again, despite having been singing it all game with nobody outside their group joining in. Why?

If that is what this lot want (are they the NSK?), their own exclusive little singing club who sing their own songs and don't join in with anyone else's, then they should move to the South Stand next season. That would be great, atmosphere behind both goals and without the current disjointedness. It would work.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Blue and white barmy army has been sung at Albion games for years, spesh during the Withdean era. JCL central on here or what? :facepalm:

As for that lot under the police box, they do create a good amount of noise - among themselves - but from where they are located its hard for the rest of the NS to work out whats being sung and join in with it

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
So there's one of this clan on here, Portlock Seagull, and he quite blatantly either misses the point or is so stupidly obsessed with the drivel that this lot come up with and can't handle what (in the main) is actually very constructive feedback - i.e. Yes, please sing, but join in with others too, and if your new song doesn't work then give it up rather than keep trotting it out week after week as this actually can harm the atmosphere.

Sadly they don't want to listen, because they don't care what anyone other than themselves think.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
My guess is neither can hear one another. When you're in the NW your own voice is amplified by the box, but the sound can barely be heard in the middle of the North.

Don't care who sings what but it's a shame people are arranged in a way that doesn't maximise the amount of noise generated. I think that's all Commander is trying to say. IMO it's probably because the club are selling family tickets to the gap between N and NW, so the songs never spread from one zone to the other.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's goalscorers, no songs for certain players, subs.....
The loudest support is normally reserved for goalscorers. "Who's that man"...injured, CMS song...injured....El Abd...on the bench.
Crofts has been getting a few goals, he has no song, Buckley has a song but rarely scores.
So, Leo and CMS will be back, El Abd should warm up for 2minutes every 15mins.....and Crofts should stop scoring and Buckley start scoring.
Perhaps another game with 9 men and the challenging lyrically, Der and Brighton could ring out loudly, all around the ground.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Exactly. The North Stand being the singing stand is fairly small compared with a lot of other clubs, so it needs to be united and sing/support together.
As a poster stated earlier, the West upper north end used to join in and be very lively and loud......what happened.

You are correct Soulman the WSU north end, where I sit did used to join in, but the North Stand were louder the past 2 seasons.
Fair play to the fans under the police box for singing, but at the start of last nights match there was 2 different songs coming from the North Stand, I would like to hear them singing 'WE ARE BRIGHTON' as 'Go left, right left' is not working as from where I sit it sounds like only 20 people singing.
I think if the fans in the North next to the fans under the box all joined in, others would .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My guess is neither can hear one another. When you're in the NW your own voice is amplified by the box, but the sound can barely be heard in the middle of the North.

Don't care who sings what but it's a shame people are arranged in a way that doesn't maximise the amount of noise generated. I think that's all Commander is trying to say. IMO it's probably because the club are selling family tickets to the gap between N and NW, so the songs never spread from one zone to the other.

Nail on head.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's goalscorers, no songs for certain players, subs.....
The loudest support is normally reserved for goalscorers. "Who's that man"...injured, CMS song...injured....El Abd...on the bench.
Crofts has been getting a few goals, he has no song, Buckley has a song but rarely scores.
So, Leo and CMS will be back, El Abd should warm up for 2minutes every 15mins.....and Crofts should stop scoring and Buckley start scoring.
Perhaps another game with 9 men and the challenging lyrically, Der and Brighton could ring out loudly, all around the ground.

Growing up in the Goldstone North Stand all the crowd favourites had their own songs when the teams came on and warmed up. They only got sung again if that player did something good. Crofts wouldn't have got one on last season's performance at the Goldstone either but he's been SONG WORTHY this season. Needs a ditty, just so long as it doesn't mention Flintstone's characters. I bet Watford didn't think it was the same Andrew Crofts!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm really not sure it is an acoustics issue. I am just on the edge of the box and am only a few seats away and I can clearly hear the songs coming from the left (which are promptly drowned out by something else from under the police box that nobody else joins in with).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here