Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "enthusiastic but misguided" fans under the police box...

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The answer would be to let anyone who has a season ticket for the North Stand sit where they like
If you want to sing the go in the singing section if you don't then sit the opposite end as long as you designate where the singing section is

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Moving under the police box has been a massive failure. The atmosphere in N1D is now completely diluted because there aren't enough people to get things started and not as many people are joining in. Being stuck in between songs that come from behind the goal and songs from the corner it's difficult to know which one to join in with.

Instead of one big loud section we now have two quiet ones, I'm not sure how this can be rectified :facepalm:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I watched it on the tv and thought the atmosphere was actually quite good - not sure about the "Barmy Army" chant though, it wasn't a test match was it?

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
What an utter load of crap.........

Ok so the Tony Bloom Army chant is annoying as hell... but they do SING! If it wasn't for the North West corner the atmosphere would resemble that of a library at times.

With response to the barmy army chant yesterday, everyone around me was asking 'what are they singing?!'... People wanted to get involved in the first 'continuous' song from the North East in months!!!

So rather than giving it large, how about you start a few chants and demonstrate what your version of a vocal fan is.

:tosser:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hmm, surely if the other 20 odd thousand home fans were making noise to encourage that equaliser you wouldn't hear 150 people singing go left go right
Don't flatter them with talk of 150... the number of people involved in what I am talking about is more like 15. These are the 15 who stand immediately under the box and are the "sing for 90 minutes" chant starters and chief continuers.

In the minutes before half-time they deliberately avoided getting involved in the general stadium noise and encouraging the sort of chants that the rest of the North, West, East and South tend to join in with (we all know which ones those are). They waited for a quieter moment and then launched "Go Left, Go Left"...

People can say it doesn't matter or "why don't you start chants yourself?" but that isn't the point. These people have a key influence on the overall atmosphere and at the moment they miss a massive opportunity by failing to be the glue that unites the rest of the North and the West (and thus spreads to East and South). They could do this by repeatedly starting the favourite chants and also by joining in with whatever is got going by the singers to their left in the North rather than ignoring it - but they choose not to.

Why they do that is hard to understand.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So they're key influencers and yet only ("don't flatter them") 15 of them...hmmm.

I understand why these mates of mine left NSC a while ago. Why waste your life with all the bitchiness on here by those of whom a great deal appear to have contributed to this thread? Bet they've cleared off to Holmesdale for a warmer welcome! Honestly, some people ought to start tomorrow by looking in the mirror and asking what's really worth doing today ie take a break from NSC if you're that unhappy with strangers in a crowd singing!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So they're key influencers and yet only ("don't flatter them") 15 of them...hmmm.

I understand why these mates of mine left NSC a while ago. Why waste your life with all the bitchiness on here by those of whom a great deal appear to have contributed to this thread? Bet they've cleared off to Holmesdale for a warmer welcome! Honestly, some people ought to start tomorrow by looking in the mirror and asking what's really worth doing today ie take a break from NSC if you're that unhappy with strangers in a crowd singing!

The same point I clumsily tried to make in #9.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I sat in 1901 south stand last night after usually sitting in WSU block C and the South (below) were more vocal and passionate than the whole of West Stand.

I love to sing, always have done (J block of Withdean even when it degenerated in to endless steward baiting) and kept thinking to myself ..."I need to move over there" when listening to the NW.

We have a different set of fans now and we need to get a 'Do you want to sing or sit politely"? Question when applying for season tickets.

I know I should start the chanting myself if I'm that bothered but it is 1) Embarassing when no one joins in and 2)Soul destroying.

Come on club....get the singing sections back!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What an utter load of crap.........

Ok so the Tony Bloom Army chant is annoying as hell... but they do SING! If it wasn't for the North West corner the atmosphere would resemble that of a library at times.

With response to the barmy army chant yesterday, everyone around me was asking 'what are they singing?!'... People wanted to get involved in the first 'continuous' song from the North East in months!!!

So rather than giving it large, how about you start a few chants and demonstrate what your version of a vocal fan is.

:tosser:

And another one misses the point completely.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Anyone thinking/admitting it's difficult to get the whole north singing from the same hymn sheet needs to remember that when they try to knock the west stand. I'm at the back of WSU (north half) and can't see/hear WSL at all from my seat, nor can I really tell what's happening in the south half of WSU. If 2500 in the north can't always get it right, don't point a finger at a stand almost 5x larger as it's almost 5x more difficult. Last night was very quiet from every stand so not a great example anyway but given the size of the west, the majority take a lead from the north as even ona good day its difficult to get a song to spread beyond a block or two. A united north = a united stadium, imho.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
... surpassed themselves last night I thought.

Just before half-time with Albion pressing hard for an equaliser, the crowd trying to get behind the players, and what do we get treated to from our singing section...? Yep, a self-regarding chorus of "Go Left, Go Left". Brilliant.

And then later on it just became farcical when these "non-stop singers" refused to join in with the rest of the North Stand's very good "Barmy Army" type chant (not sure of words - was it just "Barmy Army" or something else?)... preferring to wait until it died out so they could start something else.

I sit towards the North end of WSU so unfortunately these goons are pretty much under our noses and hard to ignore.
Barmy Army is a cricket chant and nothing to do with the Albion. Where as Tony Blooms blue and white army clearly does.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

If your mates all left NSC because a few people disagreed with them on something then they probably weren't suited to life on the internet.

Nobody is being bitchy. Nobody is moaning about people trying to create an atmosphere. An atmosphere is what we want. What people are saying is that we have a decent group of people (and there are more than 15, I'd say it's around 40-50) who make a lot of noise and are brilliant at starting songs, but for some reason they seem to prefer to have their own little exclusive atmosphere bubble, rather than join in with the rest of the crowd or lead the rest of the crowd. Does nobody else find this odd? And on numerous times this season I've seen them harassing other people in front of them about not singing, yet when the left side pipes up they stay quiet and wait for it to die down so they can start their own song.

I refuse to believe that none of them post on here, I know the Judge does, for a start, and I'm honestly interested to hear whether it is an acoustics problem (which I'm pretty sure it isn't as I only sit about 8 seats away) or whether they genuinely want their own exclusive little singing club.

It would be so much better if they were in the middle of the North. That lot together with the singers from the left side would be a great group to start the singing behind the goal, and it would spread around the rest of the North. It's only a small stand, it shouldn't be anywhere near as disjointed as it is. It really could be great.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
O come on commander your comments are seething with a current of contempt and pure vitriol, an unpleasant, almost foul, odour of bitterness wafts from your lonely keyboard, a sprinkling of righteousness added to season your sourness towards these fellow fans. You're so wrapped up in pontificating that you've become blind to the very essence of your words.

Ps see my signature. And then PM the judge if your know he posts on here. Ie stop fishing, just go to the mongers instead. There's a good chap. Now I'm done on this subject. Nothing left to add and got better things going on in my life even if others haven't.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barmy Army is a cricket chant and nothing to do with the Albion. Where as Tony Blooms blue and white army clearly does.

Listen out for "Tony Bloom's Blue And White Army" on the radio if you're not going to Donny on Saturday and listening to the match commentary :clap:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
O come on commander your comments are seething with a current of contempt and pure vitriol, an unpleasant, almost foul, odour of bitterness wafts from your lonely keyboard, a sprinkling of righteousness added to season your sourness towards these fellow fans. You're so wrapped up in pontificating that you've become blind to the very essence of your words.

Ps see my signature. And then PM the judge if your know he posts on here. Ie stop fishing, just go to the mongers instead. There's a good chap. Now I'm done on this subject. Nothing left to add and got better things going on in my life even if others haven't.

What does your signature say?

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title

Well said !

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well said !
In my humble opinion, the people standing up for the police box crew could not be more "wrong" if they tried.

I'm sure the individuals involved are all very nice, and obviously are very loyal and vocal Brighton fans, but what they are currently "achieving" is the steady decline of the previously excellent Amex atmosphere...

Some people won't be bothered about that but I love to sing at games and hate the fact the North Stand has become so disjointed. I would accept it as "bad luck", "down to acoustics" and "no-one to blame" if it wasn't for all the evidence to the contrary. On Monday I'm pretty sure I heard them chorus "Can you hear the West Stand sing?" - which just about sums up their internecine approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here