Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Dunk sending off

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The ref, Andy Davies, is a mostly League Two ref (this was his 11th Championship match in four years).

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2328/

I was talking to someone after the game who in turn was sitting next to the referee's assesssor during the game. He was, apparently, furiously making copious notes including watching some of the match with mouth agape, eyes-closed-shaking-head-slowly at some of the decisions and control. Notwithstanding the Dunk second yellow, there were times like advantage being played for an offside being given, a Brighton free-kick which he allowed to have happen while the ball was still bouncing, allowing the game to continue while the trainer was on the pitch to get to CMS. While he is supposed to be professional and discrete with his work, his mannerism gave away - she said - a whole host of concerns at the ref's officiating.

Of course, this is just her take on it, but I don't think anyone felt the ref had a good game yesterday.

It looked like this "ref" had stepped in because the proper ref could not make it. Perhaps the excitement of using the white spray had gone to his head.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Answer 1) when the opponent is clearly trying to stop the player getting the ball and jostling back. (not the case yesterday, Juta was actually in the process of tapping the ball back to where it was supposed to be when Dunk pushes him) 2) any time the push is deemed reckless, in line with the laws of the game.

That's not every time, but in circumstances such as yesterday, it is.

'Tapping' it back when it's not his place to touch the ball - a common somewhat clever annoying tactic that players use to try and fool people.... I think with a bit of common sense the ref didn't need to book anyone and just get on with the game. The red was bought by their blokes antics. But I agree you're always taking a risk to push anyone like that - especially when it gives the player the chance to play act...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The ref, Andy Davies, is a mostly League Two ref (this was his 11th Championship match in four years).

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2328/

I was talking to someone after the game who in turn was sitting next to the referee's assesssor during the game. He was, apparently, furiously making copious notes including watching some of the match with mouth agape, eyes-closed-shaking-head-slowly at some of the decisions and control. Notwithstanding the Dunk second yellow, there were times like advantage being played for an offside being given, a Brighton free-kick which he allowed to have happen while the ball was still bouncing, allowing the game to continue while the trainer was on the pitch to get to CMS. While he is supposed to be professional and discrete with his work, his mannerism gave away - she said - a whole host of concerns at the ref's officiating.

Of course, this is just her take on it, but I don't think anyone felt the ref had a good game yesterday.

Yesterdays ref was terrible. So many mistakes and inconsistencies all over the pitch. We seem to have had quite a few poor refs at home over the past few seasons.
As for the assessor's report, is there any reason why these along with the ref's report aren't actually published. It would clear up so many questions and annoyances and might actually make people more understanding of the referee's viewpoint.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
That ref was the worse I have seen this year, and although the Brentford made it worse, he was silly to do it and he in my view lost us the game, as Brentford were no great shakes and we were on top when that happened. Hope he learns from his stupidity. As for the ref he will carry on as normal after a poor game as what can they do. Also what really bugs me is the holding and pushing in the biz, their defender was doing it all the time, much worse that Dunks push and nothing. God that linesman was bad as well.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Dunk's an idiot but assuming he's eligible to play Wednesday and he scores he's no longer an idiot. If someone alleged the ref was anti Brighton, I could not possibly comment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
'Tapping' it back when it's not his place to touch the ball - a common somewhat clever annoying tactic that players use to try and fool people.... I think with a bit of common sense the ref didn't need to book anyone and just get on with the game. The red was bought by their blokes antics. But I agree you're always taking a risk to push anyone like that - especially when it gives the player the chance to play act...

No, tapping it back because after Dunk had gone to ground he had started to run off with the ball and had it at his feet when the play was stopped. Because the ball was at his feet he turned to tap the ball back in an honest way. He wasn't doing anything that constituted time wasting, he didn't have a chance before Dunk was pushing him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He was a bit stupid in the moment twice of course but there can be plenty of arguing angainst the second yellow.. how often do we see players shoving opponents away who are trying to time waste? And how often are they booked for it?

Answered are 1) all the time 2) rarely

Completely agree. It was a poor decision but having given that and booked their player, he made it worst by ignoring the hack by their player on Ince which was a clear second yellow card. I thought he was very poor.

Having said that, we've only ourselves to blame in some ways. We gave the ball away poorly for their goal (even if it was very lucky in the end) and for the first Dunk booking from a corner. If Dunk had not been forced to stop their player then, it would have been a silly yellow card and get on with play.

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
Anyway that aside their greasy cheating ******* went down like a sack of shit!
[/QUOTE]

You should be more pissed off with your div of a player acting like that when already on a yellow card and having wrongly got the decision anyway.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Anyway that aside their greasy cheating ******* went down like a sack of shit!

You should be more pissed off with your div of a player acting like that when already on a yellow card and having wrongly got the decision anyway.[/QUOTE]

If you say so, we may just focus more on your cheating player who was very lucky not to get a red card himself later for hacking at one of our players. Any half decent referee would have given him a second yellow for that.

As for wrong decision, it was a clear foul so you're talking rubbish.

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
You should be more pissed off with your div of a player acting like that when already on a yellow card and having wrongly got the decision anyway.

If you say so, we may just focus more on your cheating player who was very lucky not to get a red card himself later for hacking at one of our players. Any half decent referee would have given him a second yellow for that.

As for wrong decision, it was a clear foul so you're talking rubbish.[/QUOTE]

Hardly cheating was it. Got pushed, fell over. Pretty stupid and lets down the team to push someone after you've won a free kick and are on a yellow card.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hardly cheating was it. Got pushed, fell over. Pretty stupid and lets down the team to push someone after you've won a free kick and are on a yellow card.

It is when someone barely touches you (if they even did). I see you've ignored how lucky Jota was not to be sent off. The decisions and the luck (with the goal) went you're way yesterday. Why not just accept that when you've got the three points anyway?

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
It is when someone barely touches you (if they even did). I see you've ignored how lucky Jota was not to be sent off. The decisions and the luck (with the goal) went you're way yesterday. Why not just accept that when you've got the three points anyway?

I didn't see the incident where you say Jota was lucky not to be sent off so can't say whether he was or wasn't. I didn't think the decisions went particularly for us, can think of a few occasions where your players were getting away with things. As for luck, in my opinion we should have scored more and our finishing/trying to walk the ball in the net is going to cost us (and has already in some games), but I don't think we were lucky to win yesterday much as the last few minutes were a nervous watch.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I didn't see the incident where you say Jota was lucky not to be sent off so can't say whether he was or wasn't. I didn't think the decisions went particularly for us, can think of a few occasions where your players were getting away with things. As for luck, in my opinion we should have scored more and our finishing/trying to walk the ball in the net is going to cost us (and has already in some games), but I don't think we were lucky to win yesterday much as the last few minutes were a nervous watch.

You won 1-0 with a deflected goal, that is very lucky in my mind. The fact that you should have scored at other times is irrelevant. If you win by 1 goal and that is from a massive deflection, then it is lucky. On the balance of play you may have deserved it (although I'd say a draw would have been about right) but it doesn't mean the win wasn't lucky!

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
You won 1-0 with a deflected goal, that is very lucky in my mind. The fact that you should have scored at other times is irrelevant. If you win by 1 goal and that is from a massive deflection, then it is lucky. On the balance of play you may have deserved it (although I'd say a draw would have been about right) but it doesn't mean the win wasn't lucky!

I disagree but fair enough, I'd probably think the same if it was the other way round. Given it's our first season at this level in 21 years and we're 5th midway through January we definitely merit our position and I'll take a few lucky wins along the way after the kind of fortune we've had for years!

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Did you see the incident clearly? As I posted earlier sitting in ESU Dunk used both hands and shoved the player square in the chest. Right in front of ref - just stupid

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I disagree but fair enough, I'd probably think the same if it was the other way round. Given it's our first season at this level in 21 years and we're 5th midway through January we definitely merit our position and I'll take a few lucky wins along the way after the kind of fortune we've had for years!

I'm not saying you don't deserve to be fifth and, ignoring our problems this season, I'd far rather see teams come up from League 1 and do well like you and Bournemouth than teams like Forest. I know you kept a clean sheet yesterday but think your defence might have to improve a bit to stay in the top six. You also created a lot of chances in the two games against us recently and have only a deflected goal to show for it (but there's a lot of teams who lack a great finisher at this level including us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here