Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Dunk sending off

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As someone who sits on the front row in the SWC, I can tell you most definitely that Dunk's push was sufficient to floor most people. The push was both sudden and with significant force to his chest (nowhere near and never going to be near his face) and Jota, although a low life, cheating tw*t was not play acting when he fell, he was genuinely surprised at Dunk's reaction.

Dunk was played like a fool and shouldn't have reacted the way he did. That yellow was 100% justified.

Dunk was a fool. Not arguing that point.

But Jota was looking at Dunk and intentionally kicking the ball away, he knew full well he was going to get pushed and what he was doing. Watch it back, I don't think there is any surprise from Jota at all.

My whole point on this, is that 'raising your hands' or a push being an automatic caution just isn't in the rules. We see pushes like this all the time when one player is stopping another from taking a throw or free kick and you rarely see the player in possession get penalised. How many goal keepers do you see get pushed after a striker is trying to get the ball back after scoring - again rarely ever booked.

Then the context. Jota commits a foul. After the whistle he has a kick at the ball right next to Dunk's head while he's lying on the floor. He then gets up and starts with the ball again, first standing on it, then as Dunk gets to him he kicks it away. It's not just Dunk who has been played like a fool, the ref has as well. That is all I'm saying. Week in week out most refs wouldn't have given a yellow for that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't know if I am too late to the party here but to me the raising hands thing isn't always the case. If you raise your hands out of anger reacting to a foul, you tend to get a yellow. But if a player runs off with the ball and gets pushed, the ref tends to keep the cards in his pocket. E.g. when a keeper tries to stop a goal scorer fishing the ball out of the net, it nearly always ends with the keeper getting a shove, yet rarely/never with a card. I thought Dunk's push falls more into the latter category, although the deal breaker was clearly the player going flying to the ground.

Exactly what I am trying to say. Couldn't agree more.

As others have said, Dunk gives the ref a decision to make, but that doesn't stop it being a bad decision.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
That doesnt put a player onside now, it used to but not any more.

Going back a bit with this one but it happened right in front of me. When the ball was played forward CMS was onside, then the ball was deflected by Brentford player and lino wrongly flagged.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Poor 'game management' as Mr Heuwton said but even worse was Dunk giving him the choice. On a yellow, don't push someone whatever has just happened.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The whole officiating team were awful. That lino should have waved for the foul on Dunk which resulted in him shoving the Brentford player.

Just dire today and it keeps happening. There has to be some sort of adjudication for match officials. They're awful, this season especially.

Just a minute are you really suggesting that if the ref misses a foul then you can push your opponent to the floor,have watched Dunk on the tv highlights which shows the referee had no other option than to red card him.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just a minute are you really suggesting that if the ref misses a foul then you can push your opponent to the floor,have watched Dunk on the tv highlights which shows the referee had no other option than to red card him.

No, I'm suggesting that had the lino flagged when Dunk was being pulled all over the shop it may have led to a different set of circumstances which didn't end with one of our best and brightest being sent off. And he didn't push him because the ref missed a foul, he pushed him because the guy was attempting to stop the restart.

I'm not denying that what Dunk did was rash and massively ill-advised but, for me, that whole situation was just the culmination of the ref and his line running idiots losing control of the game.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Dunk was a fool. Not arguing that point.

But Jota was looking at Dunk and intentionally kicking the ball away, he knew full well he was going to get pushed and what he was doing. Watch it back, I don't think there is any surprise from Jota at all.

My whole point on this, is that 'raising your hands' or a push being an automatic caution just isn't in the rules. We see pushes like this all the time when one player is stopping another from taking a throw or free kick and you rarely see the player in possession get penalised. How many goal keepers do you see get pushed after a striker is trying to get the ball back after scoring - again rarely ever booked.

Then the context. Jota commits a foul. After the whistle he has a kick at the ball right next to Dunk's head while he's lying on the floor. He then gets up and starts with the ball again, first standing on it, then as Dunk gets to him he kicks it away. It's not just Dunk who has been played like a fool, the ref has as well. That is all I'm saying. Week in week out most refs wouldn't have given a yellow for that.

Agree with all of that, I was just countering the "went down softly" accusations. Yes, Jota was in the wrong throughout the entire incident, but Dunk's push wasn't just a gentle shove, he deliberately pushed with enough force to floor most people.

Alfie87

Aug 20, 2010
I just really think that football needs to man up. It's so embarrassing at times. Honesty and integrity is what is needed from the players

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I just really think that football needs to man up. It's so embarrassing at times. Honesty and integrity is what is needed from the players
dodgy decision by the ref but on the other hand we don't really want all games to end up as a punch up, OK we do but it will get boring after a while.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly.

If the scenario was that Dunk put his hands up to the guys face and the player went falling to the ground holding his face then YES, I can see the debate. You can argue "he was stupid raising his hands" vs "but he went down trying to get him sent off".

However in this scenario there is no debate:
1 - He raised his hands (instantly sets alarm bells ringing for the ref)
2 - He DEFINITELY pushed the guy
3 - It was needless. Not following a bad tackle, or words where the ref can perhaps understand a little retaliation.

Gone and rightly so.

He WAS right to be sent off, However the ref and lino were WRONG not to blow/flag about 2 HOURS earlier for the foul, thus causing Dunk's reaction to their utter ineptitude.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Henderson pushes Fabregas straight over trying to take Liverpool's free kick just then, a bigger push than Dunk's, then Henderson squares up to a couple of Chelsea players - not even a talking to, the ref not even slightly interested in the push…game carries on. No one is worried. All part of the game. Right decision.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Henderson pushes Fabregas straight over trying to take Liverpool's free kick just then, a bigger push than Dunk's, then Henderson squares up to a couple of Chelsea players - not even a talking to, the ref not even slightly interested in the push…game carries on. No one is worried. All part of the game. Right decision.

just the wrong one on Sarurday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here