Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Dunk sending off

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Halford looked as though he might have picked up a calf injury near the end (?) ..so might see Hughes and Greer Wednesday

He was struggling after his burst down the wing and cross (happened in a very simialr area on the pitch to where CMS picked up his injury)

Ince also looked in a little difficulty towards the end but i guess that could just be tiredness after running himself into the ground through his efforts all game.

D

Deleted member 2719

I saw where it looked like Dunk tried to head the ball whilst on the ground as the Brentford player kicked the ball away after the free kick was awarded (looked like Dunk wasn't aware a free kick had been given and was trying to prevent the player from getting the ball and a free run on goal by trying to knock the ball away by heading it) - but no i didn't see any rugby tackle attempt by Dunk, either at the time (happened bery near to me) and on any of the replays i saw at the ground after the match

I may have had my Guinness googles on but it looked as thou he grabbed at the guys ankles I will confess I have only seen it once live so maybe he didn't make contact.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
Not sure the 2nd yellow was fair to be honest. A slight push, but....only to get ball back. Player made a right meal of it and got Dunky sent off. Shocking!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As a referee, I guess I'm best placed to comment.

They were pretty poor today, bizarre decisions all round. That said, the 2 yellows for Dunk were probably the only correct decisions given. First 20 minutes werent that bad for the ref, but it just went downhill.

A qualified referee and you use the word 'probably'. Much faith has been restored in the profession.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
No debate the right decision unfortunately. I sit in ESU he clearly used 2 hands to shove the bloke in the chest - he was on a yellow already therefore he was sent off . Idiot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's something wrong with football when a player can walk off with the ball and get a yellow yet obtain a match-winning advantage. Common sense dictates the ref has a word with Dunk and Greer.

There's no "us and them" in rugby union refereeing and having a word and applying common sense benefits the game. Football needs to have a complete rethink about officiating, the game was littered with inconsistency and misuse of the quick free kick and advantage rules.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's something wrong with football when a player can walk off with the ball and get a yellow yet obtain a match-winning advantage. Common sense dictates the ref has a word with Dunk and Greer.

There's no "us and them" in rugby union refereeing and having a word and applying common sense benefits the game. Football needs to have a complete rethink about officiating, the game was littered with inconsistency and misuse of the quick free kick and advantage rules.

You're spot on. The referee's decision was right by the letter of the law, but way off by the spirit of the game. In this link: https://you-are-the-ref.com/game-management-and-how-not-to-do-it/ Keith Hackett makes a point about game management in his blog from November criticising today's referee for failing to do it in a Division One game.

The officiating was terrible today. The lino on the SW side made frequent mistakes and guessed at decisions when he was not up with the play. The ref was booed off at half time before he made the call on the sending off. It felt from very early on like he was likely to do something to ruin the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the Spurs - Sunderland match today Vertonghen had a goal disallowed for offside when he was 5 yards inside his own half when the ball was played and the ref was 5 yards away from him at that point.

Shocking officiating, a total lack of common sense, and it's happening week in, week out at every ground. Referees are in denial.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It was harsh but Dunk was silly. Had he stayed on? Well we'd have obviously had a much better chance. Hope he had a professional enough attitude to apologise to the team after.

Feb 14, 2010
Bottom line is Dunk and the rest of the players played in front of 27000 when near bottom of championship. He and the rest of them have failed this season. As for today, Dunk failed us but why, not good enough or why?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Got Dunked!

I don't blame Lewis Dunk for that! Proved he is human and upped his ante in my eyes. A bit of Souness about him!

Not a sneaky elbow. Not cheating.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I don't blame Lewis Dunk for that! Proved he is human and upped his ante in my eyes. A bit of Souness about him!

Not a sneaky elbow. Not cheating.
not particularly clever either given the closeness of the game when it's 11 v 11

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I wouldn't have thought it was a booking if it was the Brentford player instead of Dunk as i didn't interpret as anything more than trying to get the ball back quickly by trying to move the other player out of the way to get to be able to get to the balef got l and take the free kick to carry on with the game whilst the Brentford player was blocking him from getting it by kicking it whilst walking away (time wasting).

I thought the keepers booking for time wasting was very harsh too.

Let me help clear up the keepers yellow card as it happened directly in front of me, after the ball went out of play Button received the ball and then indulged in a display of keepie uppie facing the home fans, obviously attempting to wind up the fans and waste time.
Ref got that call spot on.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Very poor officiating yesterday but Dunk's sending off was correct. The standard of refereeing is truly abysmal at the moment, that decision in the Spurs game made me laugh out loud it was so ridiculous.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As I didn't have a great view, if as many seem to think the second yellow was correct, surely Dunk gets fined. Sheer stupidity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here