Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Put this on the vaccine thread but as good news, it’s a pretty incredible representation of the effectiveness of vaccines in keeping people out of hospital. Also reason to be optimistic that if we get the third wave of infections, negative impact of that third wave is going to be miles away from what we’ve witnessed so far.

E87B2ACB-E140-42CA-95AA-7C90401DEAE5.jpeg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thanks Dazza. When I scrolled down I thought the legend was going to say “Newcastle United”, not “United Kingdom”!!

Seriously, Fantastic for UK. Need others to catch up.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Put this on the vaccine thread but as good news, it’s a pretty incredible representation of the effectiveness of vaccines in keeping people out of hospital. Also reason to be optimistic that if we get the third wave of infections, negative impact of that third wave is going to be miles away from what we’ve witnessed so far.

View attachment 135166

Wow, that is absolutely staggering and possibly the most powerful visualisation of the effects of vaccination I've seen so far. From 30% above Italy to 85% below in two months is simply mind blowing.

You can understand the angst that is building over in the EU when you see data like this, not that isn't a mess of their own making.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sorry to be a slight realist here but the so-called "EU third wave" is just the wave we had after Christmas, so they are "catching up" by the Kent variant now getting into the EU which it had failed to do up until very recently. It's good we're coming out the other side, however it doesn't really tell us anything other than they did a pretty decent job of keeping out a more transmissible variant for so long.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry to be a slight realist here but the so-called "EU third wave" is just the wave we had after Christmas, so they are "catching up" by the Kent variant now getting into the EU which it had failed to do up until very recently. It's good we're coming out the other side, however it doesn't really tell us anything other than they did a pretty decent job of keeping out a more transmissible variant for so long.

I agree with you...but it has potential for a wider debate on that other forum :)

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I think the point being made is that if the vaccination role out in the EU had been carried out at the same pace as the UK, then the number of people in hospital within the EU countries would be far lower during the 3rd wave.

saulth

May 28, 2020

Agree. That's why I don't think the comparative graphs belong here... I would only post good news, whether it's about UK or other countries.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst it is good that we are coming out of this wave, just bear in mind that the 126k is only those that have died within 28 days. The numbers in critical care have come down mainly because of deaths, not recoveries and a lot of those have been on the ward for more than 28 days so don't appear in the figures.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not recording excess deaths any more. That's got to be good news

England and Wales no longer recording excess deaths for first time in more than six months, ONS says
For the first time in more than six months, England and Wales are no longer recording excess deaths, the Office for National Statistics reports.

It says in the week ending Friday 12 March the number of deaths registered in England and Wales was 4.4% below the five-year average for this time of year. This was the first time this had happened since the week ending 4 September.

Of the 10,987 deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 12 March, 1,501 (13.7%) involved coronavirus being mentioned on the death certificate. The previous week it was coronavirus was a factor in 18.2% of deaths.

Excess death rates in England and Wales since January 2020

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

View attachment 135166

Just amazing, thanks for posting this, it really cheers me up unlike a few posters today who can’t help themselves.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst it is good that we are coming out of this wave, just bear in mind that the 126k is only those that have died within 28 days. The numbers in critical care have come down mainly because of deaths, not recoveries and a lot of those have been on the ward for more than 28 days so don't appear in the figures.

A) not for this thread
B) simply not true

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apparently we had a minutes silence at midday for the victims of Covid. That's the first I heard about it - anybody else know it was happening?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
First jab booked for Friday and the second for mid-June, which will be just in time to fly back to England for the summer. It will have a been 2 years since I last visited our green and pleasant land. Hopefully, I'll get to make use of my tickets for the Euro final at Wembley too :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Infections - 5,379, rolling 7 day down 3.4% (1.19m tests)
Deaths - 112, rolling 7 day down 33.4% (595 in 7 days)
Admissions - 373
Vaccinations - 329k and 82k (cumulative 28.3m and 2.36m)
People in hospital - 5,461

Note numbers in hospital are still plummeting, with very many more leaving than being admitted on a daily basis (typically the daily drop is eerily similar to admissions, so double the number are leaving as going in). With the number of deaths also falling very sharply, it's reasonable to conclude that very many people are recovering and being discharged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here