Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Have not posted for ages but this is a good news day.Had my first jab this morning here in Perth Oz.Second one booked for mid June.Went home mowed the lawn while the wife cooked a full English.It doesn’t get much better than that.Now a trip to the Amex again appears a lot closer.

That's more like it!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rescuing this from the bottom of page 2 to bounce with today's numbers :

Infections - 5,605, rolling 7 day down 3.3% (839k tests)
Deaths - 98, rolling 7 day down 34.6% (552)
Admissions - 360 (new low in this wave), rolling 7 day down 20.4%
Vaccs - 325k 1st and 169k 2nd (easily the highest no. of 2nd jabs so far) - cumulative 28.6m and 2.5m
People in hospital - 5,461 (not updated from yesterday)

What is interesting is infections seem now to be around the same for roughly 3 weeks however during that time admissions, people in hospital and deaths have been dramatically reduced.

The only conclusion is the vaccine works so for any doubters on the vaccine the evidence is conclusive, when your time comes, step forward and get the vaccine as not only does it help you it also helps your friends and family.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What is interesting is infections seem now to be around the same for roughly 3 weeks however during that time admissions, people in hospital and deaths have been dramatically reduced.

The only conclusion is the vaccine works so for any doubters on the vaccine the evidence if conclusive, when your time comes, step forward and get the vaccine as not only does it help you it also helps your friends and family.

Absolutely this. The vaccination roll out (in combination with the current lockdown) is working. There is a lot of encouragement to be taken from direction of travel in the current data.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The only conclusion is the vaccine works so for any doubters on the vaccine the evidence is conclusive, when your time comes, step forward and get the vaccine as not only does it help you it also helps your friends and family.

That's not the only conclusion. The other possibility is that the number of infections of school-aged kids has increased - in fact I think stats show that it has - and that the effect of the vaccine in preventing infections in >55s has mitigated this sufficiently such that overall infection rate is flat.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you read my last line you'll see that I confirm it's all heading in the right direction. Apologies if you failed to detect that!
It is an interesting question as to whether contested good news is actually real world good news.

It is probably best not to contest good news posts on this thread though.

I'm glad no one quotes that dodgy Imperial College fake professor anymore. I had to leave the thread for a long time as I couldn't bear to see his drivel uncontested.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It is an interesting question as to whether contested good news is actually real world good news.

It is probably best not to contest good news posts on this thread though.

I'm glad no one quotes that dodgy Imperial College fake professor anymore. I had to leave the thread for a long time as I couldn't bear to see his drivel uncontested.

You can view it as good news that even Ferguson is giving out positive vibes and believes we will be back to "normal" by mid summer, more evidence that all the positive data is conclusive in it direction of travel.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You can view it as good news that even Ferguson is giving out positive vibes and believes we will be back to "normal" by mid summer, more evidence that all the positive data is conclusive in it direction of travel.
I never had a problem with what Ferguson said. The dodgy professor is a guy called Karol Sikora who spouted oft-quoted nonsense !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
[TWEET]1374995928428515328[/TWEET]

Such a great graph, especially when you compare it with cases and deaths in Israel which are also absolutely plummeting to virtually inconsequential levels now (although as in the UK, cases did plateau for a while - perhaps until such a point second doses reached a sufficiently prevalent level).

Where this still leaves me scratching my head though (as someone who spent most of his science and maths lessons at school scratching his balls and not paying attention) is why we can't aspire to an end goal of zero-Covid. Take Israel, where the R value is already at 0.55 and dropping with most of the country open. With borders closed surely that has to at some point lead to a petering out of the virus? Even with borders opened (carefully - Brazil probably wouldn't make a good 'corridor' right now), how does that spread beyond any imported cases if the nation's reproduction rate is at a tiny, fractional value due to herd immunity?

Hands up, it's probably not the right thread to answer that question with cold, hard science - it's just that all the data coming out of Israel and to a lesser extent the UK, it seems to me as if (variants aside) the long-term prognosis should be a lot more rosy than we are being told.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I think it's the proof that whilst you might still get infected, the vaccine stops you getting seriously ill. It's fantastic - the absolute plummeting of death and hospital numbers (which started in the O80s - and is now filtering down in line with how the vacc programme has operated) supports this too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

That's not the only conclusion. The other possibility is that the number of infections of school-aged kids has increased - in fact I think stats show that it has - and that the effect of the vaccine in preventing infections in >55s has mitigated this sufficiently such that overall infection rate is flat.

I would say it's neither of these.

It's because the testing of school-aged kids has increased massively and therefore the detection within these has increased.
This can be seen in the sixth graph here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-vaccinations-today

I would say this is good news that is hardly being mentioned by the media. I think cases are still falling, slowly but surely, with the up-to-date Zoe cases being lower than the week-old tested cases, which is a very good sign (they have been consistently higher for a long time, I believe).

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I would say it's neither of these.

It's because the testing of school-aged kids has increased massively and therefore the detection within these has increased.
This can be seen in the sixth graph here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-vaccinations-today

Also add in that school kids are being supposed to be tested twice a week with lateral flow tests which are notorious for giving false positive results so the number of positives is skewed by that too.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Wow, that is absolutely staggering and possibly the most powerful visualisation of the effects of vaccination I've seen so far. From 30% above Italy to 85% below in two months is simply mind blowing.

You can understand the angst that is building over in the EU when you see data like this, not that isn't a mess of their own making.

Kind reminder that NSC is a broad church and many of us reside in the EU. Perhaps you could keep the EU negatives out of it when focussing good news? I'm all for criticising the EU vaccine programme, but not here please.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Kind reminder that NSC is a broad church and many of us reside in the EU. Perhaps you could keep the EU negatives out of it when focussing good news? I'm all for criticising the EU vaccine programme, but not here please.

Touché on the final comment which was unthinking rather than borne out of any particular agenda (which I don't have by the way). My main point was the rate in which vaccines have taken the UK from a very dark place to a considerably better one, with Italy (a nation currently lagging behind in that sense) used as a reference point.

The good news for anyone, irrespective of where you happen to reside, is that vaccines are incredibly effective against Covid-19. The EU, I'm sure, will catch-up over the coming weeks and months.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can't dress your post up as good news simply because you sandwich tiny snippets of hope amongst the negativity and political posturing. No-one should be trying to score political points at all on the GNT.

My last post then on this thread. I am not and never have participated in head in the clouds happy clappy church way of life so I'll leave you all to it.

The light at the end of this very dark tunnel is getting brighter and brighter and that's the only thing that matters.

cheerio.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Totally agree. Anyone else's struggles to get the vaccine delivered is bad for us as a nation and more importantly, bad for humanity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1375041577614200834[/TWEET]

Daily new cases had been creeping up for a week or so, so this is good news. Hopefully the returning to schools "bump" is calming down as cases are spotted and isolated, alongside daily vaccinations putting more and more pressure on R.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Touché on the final comment which was unthinking rather than borne out of any particular agenda (which I don't have by the way). My main point was the rate in which vaccines have taken the UK from a very dark place to a considerably better one, with Italy (a nation currently lagging behind in that sense) used as a reference point.

The good news for anyone, irrespective of where you happen to reside, is that vaccines are incredibly effective against Covid-19. The EU, I'm sure, will catch-up over the coming weeks and months.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. Just asking you to think of others with the way in which you present it. Your initial post, taken on face value, is not good news for me or many others on NSC. Political preference should be removed from this thread (which I have noticed creeping into posts on here recently, see [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION]).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here