[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Going to my first unrestricted gig to see Fontaines D.C. at Chalk this evening, very excited for things to get back to normal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Britain could be "over the edge" of the third wave of Covid-19, a health commentator formerly of the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said.

Jamie Jenkins, former head of health statistics at the Office for National Statistics, told LBC: "(Cases) in England and Wales have been coming down since July 19, the cases have been falling for a couple of weeks there, then you get that time-lag effect when cases start coming down you get, around five or six days later, you start seeing hospital admissions come down, and then you start seeing deaths come down.

"I think looking at the data, we normally see deaths peaking around 14 days after cases come down, I think we might start being over the hill now when it comes to deaths."

Mr Jenkins added: "We probably are over the edge of the wave at the moment but let's have a bit of caution as we go into the autumn period."

He said that hospital admissions were around 80% lower than what they would have been in the past and deaths were 90 per cent lower, adding: "The vaccine effect has kicked in as well - if you look at the same number of cases to what we had in the winter, it would have been 800 deaths rather than 65-70."

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Its an album release show for an album released more than a year ago :lolol: shows how long its been.

I know this is a good news thread but that second album was as they say a tricky second album ( it’s not very good imho ) but hopefully if the 3rd player is half as good as the 1st it will be great.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I know this is a good news thread but that second album was as they say a tricky second album ( it’s not very good imho ) but hopefully if the 3rd player is half as good as the 1st it will be great.

Slightly derailing it but yeah the second album I don't think is as good but a couple of the tracks are as good (A Hero's Death, Televised Mind and Lucid Dream) grew on me massively over the year.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
·
14m
England COVID admissions drop again. Sunday’s figure was 645 - 23% down on the previous week (836).

The seven-day average falls again to 717, down from 744 yesterday and 780 a week earlier (-8%).

5,116 beds occupied vs 5,309 yesterday.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New York City to become one of the first US cities to require proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, gyms, movie theatres etc.

Can't really argue with it - they have one of the lowest rates of infection and want to keep it that way. Similar mandates already issued in France and Italy

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/nyregion/nyc-vaccine-mandate.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210803&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=56564702&segment_id=65215&user_id=4180feebac29b9e10fe3e6db6d77bd2c

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
New York City to become one of the first US cities to require proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, gyms, movie theatres etc.

Can't really argue with it - they have one of the lowest rates of infection and want to keep it that way. Similar mandates already issued in France and Italy

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/nyregion/nyc-vaccine-mandate.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20210803&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=56564702&segment_id=65215&user_id=4180feebac29b9e10fe3e6db6d77bd2c
Shocked by this really. New Yorkers are some of the most loud and obnoxious people on the planet, surely they won't take this lying down.

.... Or maybe they'll just continue moving to Miami !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Maybe not a post for this thread though…try the Covid forum where it can be argued with

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New Yorkers are some of the most loud and obnoxious people on the planet

Nothing like reducing the inhabitants of an entire city to a few crude stereotypes

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Coronavirus infections three times lower in double vaccinated people

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/227713/coronavirus-infections-three-times-lower-double/

Incidentally, my mum and dad (aged 74 and 70) tested positive a couple of weeks ago, having been double-vaccinated. Their experience has basically been "feeling a bit tired" accompanied by a mild sniffle. This too, coming from my dad who is quite possibly the biggest fanny I know when it comes to getting ill - I've known him be bed ridden with little more than a runny nose in the past.

Covid ran through my wife's family in January during the last peak and it was a pretty horrible experience for all concerned (one ending up in intensive care) with the exception of her asymptomatic sister in her twenties. I dread to think what the outcome might have been without the vaccine, but what could have been a very serious and worrying time has been anything but thanks to the wonders of medical science, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, vaccines are amazing. Not just this one either, the fact I've never had to endure measles or smallpox is also quite welcome.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Incidentally, my mum and dad (aged 74 and 70) tested positive a couple of weeks ago, having been double-vaccinated. Their experience has basically been "feeling a bit tired" accompanied by a mild sniffle. This too, coming from my dad who is quite possibly the biggest fanny I know when it comes to getting ill - I've known him be bed ridden with little more than a runny nose in the past.

Covid ran through my wife's family in January during the last peak and it was a pretty horrible experience for all concerned (one ending up in intensive care) with the exception of her asymptomatic sister in her twenties. I dread to think what the outcome might have been without the vaccine, but what could have been a very serious and worrying time has been anything but thanks to the wonders of medical science, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, vaccines are amazing. Not just this one either, the fact I've never had to endure measles or smallpox is also quite welcome.

A very heartening post. Great to hear lived experience of the value of vaccines.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
·
20m
In better news, the number of patients in England hospitals has dropped below 5,000; the latest figure is 4,944, down from 5,116 yesterday.

686 patients were admitted on Monday, vs 830 the week before (17% down). The seven-day average falls to 697 from a peak of 792 on 26 July.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
·
20m
In better news, the number of patients in England hospitals has dropped below 5,000; the latest figure is 4,944, down from 5,116 yesterday.

686 patients were admitted on Monday, vs 830 the week before (17% down). The seven-day average falls to 697 from a peak of 792 on 26 July.

Expansion of the above in this thread :

[tweet]1422943122003271682[/tweet]

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid Fact Check UK
@fact_covid
The seven-day average of reported deaths has dropped today. It’s quite possible (but not certain) that we are past the peak of this latest wave.

In April 2020, the seven-day average peaked at 942 daily deaths. In January it was 1,248.

For this wave, it’s 90.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports