• Have an identified number one

Votes: 129 73.3%
  • Rotate away

Votes: 47 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Bart got lucky on Sunday. Let 1 in through his legs (luckily offside) & another was appealing with his hand in the air & the shot hit his leg & went wide (imagine the uproar if that had gone in while he appealed for something)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This.

Its the same with Trafford at Burnley as it was with Meslier at Leeds.

He is the future number 1 and you cant get experience on the bench.
I guess the argument with those two is that they were both thrown in the deep end and in the Premier League and their confidence took an absolute pummelling to the extent that they had to be dropped for the end of the season. I'd be shocked if we see Trafford make another Premier League appearance this season.

I think there is a plan for the rotation that will continue until the end of the season and whilst personally I'd like to see Bart start from now on, it has been a real positive that he has come through his first season with a glowing reputation. In that sense the rotation has worked, and given him a platform to secure a permanent spot in the starting XI with competition from Steele for next season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Who will RDZ go with tomorrow? Brian Owen in the Argus recently reported that De Zerbi has tended to play the same 'keeper against the same opposition, and it was Steele in goal against Brentford in early December. If Verbruggen is selected, maybe a sign that RDZ has started to prefer the Dutchman?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Who will RDZ go with tomorrow? Brian Owen in the Argus recently reported that De Zerbi has tended to play the same 'keeper against the same opposition, and it was Steele in goal against Brentford in early December. If Verbruggen is selected, maybe a sign that RDZ has started to prefer the Dutchman?
A very significant part of Brentford's threat is aerial / set pieces.

Playing Bart for that game is an absolute no-brainer IMO.

Bart got lucky on Sunday. Let 1 in through his legs (luckily offside) & another was appealing with his hand in the air & the shot hit his leg & went wide (imagine the uproar if that had gone in while he appealed for something)
Would have been multiple threads on Steele if he'd let that Diaz shot straight through him. I find the general sentiment around the keeper positions the strangest thing to understand about the Albion at the moment

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would have been multiple threads on Steele if he'd let that Diaz shot straight through him. I find the general sentiment around the keeper positions the strangest thing to understand about the Albion at the moment

We have two first team keepers, and people have differing opinions on their relative strengths, weaknesses and form.

Based on those opinions they'll have (in some cases strong) preferences over who is selected to play each match.

That is very, very, very simple to understand, isn't it?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
IMO little chance Steele makes the save near the end down to his right. I'm also not convinced that he would have been off his line quick enough in the first half when BV batted it away for a throw. There's every chance he might have done other things better than BV though, it's why its a weird situation.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We have two first team keepers, and people have differing opinions on their relative strengths, weaknesses and form.

Based on those opinions they'll have (in some cases strong) preferences over who is selected to play each match.

That is very, very, very simple to understand, isn't it?
That was the case. But is that still the case?

If Verbruggen plays tonight that's 4 games in a row. If that happens, i'm calling the rotation policy dead on the table.

Of course it could be Steele. It's going to be an intriguing selection in this and a number of positions tonight

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If Verbruggen plays tonight that's 4 games in a row. If that happens, i'm calling the rotation policy dead on the table.

Of course it could be Steele. It's going to be an intriguing selection in this and a number of positions tonight
We have two 'first team keepers' - ie. we have two senior keepers in the first team squad.

that has been the case all season, and will remain the case, even if he picks BV for EVERY game for the rest of the season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We have two 'first team keepers' - ie. we have two senior keepers in the first team squad.

that has been the case all season, and will remain the case, even if he picks BV for EVERY game for the rest of the season.
In that case every team in our league has "two first team keepers" which kind of makes the phrase a bit pointless

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Is 3 games in a row the most than either keeper has played, regardless of competition, all season? I can't think of any examples of longer; in fact this current run is the first time Bart has played more than 2 consecutively, isn't it?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In that case every team in our league has "two first team keepers" which kind of makes the phrase a bit pointless
...except they don't. For PL games they almost exclusively have a 'number one' (regardless of what number they have on their shirt), plus a benchwarmer who will also get a run out in the earlier rounds of cup fixtures.

However, the way de Zerbi has chosen to rotate the keeper role means we do genuinely have x2 first team keepers, rather than a 'starter' and a backup.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is 3 games in a row the most than either keeper has played, regardless of competition, all season? I can't think of any examples of longer; in fact this current run is the first time Bart has played more than 2 consecutively, isn't it?
I can never remember who played who, when.

But yes, I have a prediction which is that rotation is over and Verbruggen plays tonight and for the rest of the season. I'm fully prepared to look like an arse on this one in a few short hours time.

And for the sake of clarity I want to make clear that this isn't necessarily a wish. I'm a Steele fan and am happy to see him in the side, but get the logic of bringing Verbruggen through.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They do (or in some cases, three).

And in each case the managers choose between them. And then in each case, the respective club's fanbase debate that decision. My point was merely that the situation is straightforward and not at all difficult for the poster I was replying to, to 'understand'.

I'm certain that if I could be bothered to go and look, I'll could find Sheffield United fans arguing whether Wilder should play Foderingham or Grbic, Burnley fans debating Kompany's call to drop Trafford for Muric, ditto Forest / Nuno / Turner or Sels, Chelsea / Poch / Petrovic or Sanchez, Arsenal / Arteta / Ramsdale or Raya, etc, etc, etc.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
...except they don't. For PL games they almost exclusively have a 'number one' (regardless of what number they have on their shirt), plus a benchwarmer who will also get a run out in the earlier rounds of cup fixtures.

However, the way de Zerbi has chosen to rotate the keeper role means we do genuinely have x2 first team keepers, rather than a 'starter' and a backup.
Well yes. I was replying to another posters nonsensical definition

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here