• Have an identified number one

Votes: 129 73.3%
  • Rotate away

Votes: 47 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If Bart starts against Stoke, does that confirm that Steele will be no. 1 for European & league games?

I thought last night was probably Steeles best performance (so far)
I don't think it does. I think we'll rotate for the rest of the season.

Agree that Steele did well when called upon. I loved his claim from a corner, first time I've seen him dominantly claim like that and I hope he takes confidence. A top save down to his left as well. Passing impeccable as ever.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I prefer the imposing figure of Bart, however Steele is still marginally better with his feet.

Im happy to rotate them. Horses for courses and all that.

Bart will claim the jersey on a regular basis soon enough i suspect
I'd say Steele is massively better with his feet (not that Bart isn't good).
Essential for the way we play right now & still improving as a keeper

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The really interesting decisions will come next season.

Will we bring one of our promising young keepers into the squad or give Steele and Bart another year to slug it out?

Might we even rotate 3 ways?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suspect we will segue to a 'number 1' only if one or other keeper starts sulking. Our strategy currently is cutting edge, like so many other things.

This one can be put in the box in the shed along with the 'what's our first eleven?' debate.

Incidentally the Sarmiento loan is being mentioned on R5 in every news and sport update today. On national radio. How weird is that?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suspect we will segue to a 'number 1' only if one or other keeper starts sulking. Our strategy currently is cutting edge, like so many other things.

This one can be put in the box in the shed along with the 'what's our first eleven?' debate.

Incidentally the Sarmiento loan is being mentioned on R5 in every news and sport update today. On national radio. How weird is that?
Maybe because until Gwion Edwards signed for Morecambe as a free agent, Sarmiento's loan was the only movement in the transfer window today?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Agree with this.

For a club with top 10 aspirations in the Premier League, neither option is good enough. However, continually rotating two sub-optimal keepers in and out of the starting 11 just seems to be exacerbating what is already a bad situation.

I’d prefer RDZ to just pick one and stick with him. For me, ideally, that would be Bart but even that simply feels like choosing the ‘least worst option’ which is hardly ideal.

Fully expecting Spurs to fill their boots on the 28th, regardless of which one of them wins the ‘goalkeeper lucky dip’ that particular day.
Hmmmmmmm

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd say Steele is massively better with his feet (not that Bart isn't good).
Essential for the way we play right now & still improving as a keeper
Massively better, except statistically, where he makes less passes and gives the ball away with a higher % of those passes.

But other than that, he’s massively better.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Having an identified number one regular keeper is SO 2023.

So old fashioned and out of date.

Got to keep up wiv da kidz.

1704309559151.png

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Massively better, except statistically, where he makes less passes and gives the ball away with a higher % of those passes.

But other than that, he’s massively better.
Hmmm, I'd suggest this is one case where we as fans have more credence, having seen with our eyes, over faceless stats.

More passes? what if BV's include more side to side? to Dunk, back to BV, to JPVH back to BV, to Gilmour back to BV. If steele makes one pass that breaks the lines, which is better? 5 sideways or one line breaking?

Giving it away to oppostion more with feet? Again what does that say exactly? BV made a shocker against Palace and without stats, I reckon hes made a few more wayward passes in the danger zone? If Steele clears his lines up the field and they get the ball, or it goes for an oppo throw in, does that count as giving ball away to oppo in those allaged stats?

You cant really paint any realistic picture with such simplistic stats alone. fwiw I feel more comfortable with Bart, as I think hes a better keeper and is the future, but Steele imho is better with passing and makes more line breaking good passes.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I like Bart a lot and think he'll be fantastic long term. For the very biggest games, and with the way that De Zerbi wants them to play, I prefer Steele's composure for now. Happy to see them rotate so Verbruggen continues to gain experience.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Steele deserves the number one spot right now, IMO.

Possibly. He is SO useful as a sweeper keeper.

I will never cease to be terrified whenever he has to face a shot though. The four goals conceded (two didn't count) against Spurs were a stark reminder of how, if he faces a lot of shots, he will cost us a lot of goals.

I think the key to Steele is - treat him like there is an outfield player in goal. Do NOT let the opposition shoot, but at the same time pass to him like you would a central midfielder - and expect to receive a pass like you would from a central midfielder.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Pascal Gross is 32 and how many seasons have we all thought he had peaked :wink:

Steele is only 33 and a Goalkeeper FFS ???

If you watched that Sunderland documentary, you will know why Steele has HUGE balls. Sanchez was called out and proven to have tiny marbles by comparison.

I think Bart will win out in the end, but maybe not just yet, Steele for me just now :albion2:

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't mind the rotation, mainly because neither keeper is really at the high standards you would expect for a top 10 premier league club. If we weren't rotating, whoever had the number one jersey would be getting pelters and we'd be clamoring to replace him. At least with two keepers rotating we can see both of their mistakes.

Whats got into Steeles kicking at the moment though? Shanking kick after kick out for throw ins. I'll give him his due for a couple of very good saves of late, although Spurs put the ball past him time after time. I feel like Bart should be the better keeper, but he's also not pulling off worldies. Feels perhaps like RDZ is waiting for him to have a motm performance before he gets the gloves full time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The really interesting decisions will come next season.

Will we bring one of our promising young keepers into the squad or give Steele and Bart another year to slug it out?

Might we even rotate 3 ways?
I don't think we'd rotate 3 ways but you're right, it's an absolutely fascinating situation. I'd assume he'd want to bring at least one young keeper into the fold somehow though. My guess is that Rushworth will be allowed to leave and that Beadle is the one they will want to keep close. If that's true, then I'd expect to Bart/Steele rotate for at least one more season as I suspect Beadle is still a way off being at the required standard.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Possibly. He is SO useful as a sweeper keeper.

I will never cease to be terrified whenever he has to face a shot though. The four goals conceded (two didn't count) against Spurs were a stark reminder of how, if he faces a lot of shots, he will cost us a lot of goals.

I think the key to Steele is - treat him like there is an outfield player in goal. Do NOT let the opposition shoot, but at the same time pass to him like you would a central midfielder - and expect to receive a pass like you would from a central midfielder.

What on earth are you on about :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not sure what that is about? Spurs had 3 'legitimate' shots on target from which they scored twice, plus they had two goals disallowed and they hit the post. In 45 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here