Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa/US can you please assist us at this time and briefly explain the likelihood of a/an SSW event occurring in the next couple of weeks and the therefore likelihood of any sustained blocking that may lead to potentially snowy conditions for us in Feb?

The data I saw yesterday didn't show any significant SSW event in the offing. However, there are indications that the polar Vortex is going to fragment anyway into mid January, so the chances of colder weather will increase the deeper into January we go.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Papa/US can you please assist us at this time and briefly explain the likelihood of a/an SSW event occurring in the next couple of weeks and the therefore likelihood of any sustained blocking that may lead to potentially snowy conditions for us in Feb?

The el nino has finally buggered off south so there is now half a chance. Papa can be more technical

D

Deleted member 22389

The el nino has finally buggered off south so there is now half a chance. Papa can be more technical

This period of heavy rain, wind is very reminiscent to a few years back before we got that period of snow, lets see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This period of heavy rain, wind is very reminiscent to a few years back before we got that period of snow, lets see.

That's the kind of vague expert opinion I am looking for from this thread. Optimistic without any basis at all. That's where we should all be at.

I'll add that as I look out of my window now, I see the number 7 bus, much like when it snowed really hard in 2010.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's the kind of vague expert opinion I am looking for from this thread. Optimistic without any basis at all. That's where we should all be at.

I'll add that as I look out of my window now, I see the number 7 bus, much like when it snowed really hard in 2010.

Did you have to insult me?

D

Deleted member 22389

I wasn't insulting you, genuinely liked the comment, we need more of that, rather than the graphs that no one understands.

Really? because I took it the other way. If that is the case I apologise.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still a signal for a change to potentially colder conditions, with a northerly plunge and then possibly an Easterly in about 10 day's time. I'd say it's 60/40 against at the moment, but the signal is there in the ensemble.

See the top line for temp forecast...

graphe_ens4_vcr8.gif

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
BBC 4-week forecast (published this morning) maintains that any colder spells and snow will be short-lived, and confined to the north.

Main trend is for more wet and windy weather, but with greater chance of drier spells in between, and not quite as mild as recently, but certainly not cold either.

In short, boring :annoyed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sorry I can't provide graphs, but then my name is not Van Der - remember him?

Van Der Graaf Generator :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BBC 4-week forecast (published this morning) maintains that any colder spells and snow will be short-lived, and confined to the north.

Main trend is for more wet and windy weather, but with greater chance of drier spells in between, and not quite as mild as recently, but certainly not cold either.

In short, boring :annoyed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

the Met Office & BBC outlooks tend to always err towards the 'average / default' for the UK, until there is a compelling signal to deviate. IF (big IF) the models start to agree on a colder outlook, they will reflect this. Remember, they will be seeing all the data we can see, plus a considerable amount more (Met Office data is mainly not shared). The degree of uncertainty at the moment (60/40 warm outlook) supports their current outlook.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
the Met Office & BBC outlooks tend to always err towards the 'average / default' for the UK, until there is a compelling signal to deviate. IF (big IF) the models start to agree on a colder outlook, they will reflect this. Remember, they will be seeing all the data we can see, plus a considerable amount more (Met Office data is mainly not shared). The degree of uncertainty at the moment (60/40 warm outlook) supports their current outlook.

You said you were going to send me a link for the charts and explain them.

You've forgotten all about me haven't you? :down:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here