Oooh exciting.

So when is snow day next week?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Oooh exciting.

So when is snow day next week?

Hard to say. Nothing certain to suggest we will see ANY. Far too soon to think about that sort of detail. In a northerly we need something special to push snow down here. In an Easterly we still need some extra instability to push showers off the North Sea. Either way, the key is to get the conditions / synoptic setup in place and THEN look for the snow.

Flex Your Head

Met Office suggesting it will only be a brief cold snap. Still early days though...

UK Outlook for Sunday 10 Jan 2016 to Tuesday 19 Jan 2016:

... There is now an increased signal for a brief much colder spell around the middle of next week with widespread overnight frosts. There is likely to be a mixture of sunshine and showers, with the showers falling as sleet of snow to low levels in the north, and perhaps also in the south. Towards the end of next week unsettled and sometimes windy weather with mainly westerly winds may become re-established, although there is some uncertainty. Temperatures should return to near normal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Hard to say. Nothing certain to suggest we will see ANY. Far too soon to think about that sort of detail. In a northerly we need something special to push snow down here. In an Easterly we still need some extra instability to push showers off the North Sea. Either way, the key is to get the conditions / synoptic setup in place and THEN look for the snow.

Hmmm, can you please make it for Thursday next week. Tuesday/Weds next week not good for travelling up and back to Rotherham.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hmmm, can you please make it for Thursday next week. Tuesday/Weds next week not good for travelling up and back to Rotherham.

Hmm. If we're talking as far North as Rotherham it will get colder much earlier.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
Met Office suggesting it will only be a brief cold snap. Still early days though...

UK Outlook for Sunday 10 Jan 2016 to Tuesday 19 Jan 2016:

... There is now an increased signal for a brief much colder spell around the middle of next week with widespread overnight frosts. There is likely to be a mixture of sunshine and showers, with the showers falling as sleet of snow to low levels in the north, and perhaps also in the south. Towards the end of next week unsettled and sometimes windy weather with mainly westerly winds may become re-established, although there is some uncertainty. Temperatures should return to near normal.

I think that the met office is playing catch up, as with most of the models. The models throughout the day have been hardening up on both the severity and the longevity of the cold snap. Still all top play for but things are moving towards a longer period of cold.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think that the met office is playing catch up, as with most of the models. The models throughout the day have been hardening up on both the severity and the longevity of the cold snap. Still all top play for but things are moving towards a longer period of cold.

The latest GFS is rolling out now - will be telling (along with the 12Z ECM & UKMO)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed it will. the UKMO has been strangely fallible recentlyand the GFS always overplays the power of the Atlantic so the ECM is the one that i will be watching closely

Just imagine if this came off:

gfs-0-180.png

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
UKMO looks great. with a mid Atlantic ridge all the way to the pole.

UN144-21.GIF

GFS gives us the chart I posted earlier, and then 6 days later, we get a repeat

gfs-0-324.png

ECM needs to fall in line now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't really understand most of this, but if Papa is getting conservatively excited I am getting very excited.

Sorry to butt in on the serious talk.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
A channel low with associated cold air to our north to tap into is the stuff of dreams for those who love snow! The last one we had was March 13, before that I think it was the 80's so they are very rare as the sypnotics have to match up perfectly. If it's too far north then we have rain down here, if it's too far south then we got nowt!

Anyway not even thinking about that at the moment. let's just get the cold in first and then see what happens

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The latest Worthingish Ensemble shows the massive potential, and the risk as well.

graphe3_1000_295_174___.gif

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't really understand most of this, but if Papa is getting conservatively excited I am getting very excited.

Sorry to butt in on the serious talk.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

One person's butting in, is another person's contribution.

Feel free to to contribute.

Yes, I am getting conservatively excited.

On the excitement scale I'm at SnowCon 3 (of 5).

I won't get to 4 until we get full cross model agreement, and lose the remaining stragglers on the Ensemble that don't produce the cold snap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here