Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Assault on Jenni Hermoso

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Let's be clear - Jenni Hermoso was assaulted by Luis Rubiales - and in my view it was a conscious act.

Over decades Spanish women's team have been treated with abuse by the RFEF and the head coaches. Ignacio Quereda, the guy before Vilda, was a recist, sexist, homophobic abuser of women who felt it was his right to walk into the players bedrooms unannounced. A strike by the squad forced Quereda's removal. Quereda was replaced by Jorge Vilda, whose father is a top bureaucrat in the RFEF. Vilda has little or no coaching experience, apart from with the women's underage teams and carried on the same authoritarian approach as Quereda, including, allegedly, the right to walk into bedrooms stuff.

Vilda's methods and lack of coaching ability have been constantly criticised since his appointment, including his inability to understand the nature and treatment of injuries - but more importantly, the Spanish players have criticised the RFEF for its treatment of the women's team and its impact on the physical and mental health - including the refusal of the RFEF to allow players with young children have contact with their children during tournaments, games and training camps.

In 2022 the 3 squad captains approached Vilda to discuss the concerns of the squad - these included two players who were involved in the strike that removed Quereda as coach in 2015 - Irene Paredes and Jenni Hermoso. When they made no headway with Vilda they went to Rubiales - who fully backed Vilda, leading to 15 of the players saying they did not want to be considered for selection until their issues were addressed. It is worth noting that Hermoso and Paredes along with veteran player and team captain Alexia Putellas (who was out with a long term injury) did not sign the email (Putellas did tweet support for the 15). This was to keep lines of communications open with the RFEF. The RFEF responded by calling Las15 'brats', 'extortioners' and 'capricious'. Over the following months the captains continued negotiate and secure a number of concessions, including the right of close family to be part of the camp. Ultimately 8 of Las 15 offered to return - the other 7 refused to play for Vilda - but only 3 - along with Hermoso, Paredes, and Putellas were selected.

Roll on to the presentation of the trophy - why did Rubiales pick Hermoso to assault instead of any of the other players. The RFEF bureaucracy has a legacy that goes back to the era of Franco's fascist dictatorship and has regularly been criticised for failing to act against racism, misogyny and homophobia. Hermoso, Paredes and Putellas are the only players in the squad who played a prominent role in all the disputes between the RFEF and the women's team over the past 10 years. However, while Paredes is Basque, and Putellas is from Catalunya, Hermoso is from Madrid (and her father played for Franco's team Atletico Madrid). From the perspective of 'the man in love with his balls' (title of an article by Ana Requena Aguilar in el Diario), Hermoso should have known her place - she was not from one of the regions but Castilian, from the heart of Spanish nationalism and a descendent of one of Franco's players. In my opinion Rubiales decided that Hermoso needed to be taught a lesson and a message needed to be sent to the rest of the squad. He thought he would get away with it in the euphoria of the WC victory.

It has now spectacularly blown up in his face - despite pressure from the RFEF on Hermoso and her family to comply with RFEF demands to support Rubiales, Hermoso has come out to say that the RFEF statement that the 'kiss' was consensual was a lie. The entire world cup squad have now gone on strike demanding the dismissal of Rubiales and Vilda. 89 current and former international players have publicly declared their support for Hermoso. The RFEF is now threatening to sue Hermoso for defamation and is threatening to sue the entire WC squad using a sports law that has its origins in the Franco dictatorship that it is illegal to refuse to represent Spain in international competition. Vilda - and the men's HC de la Fuente - clapped in support of Rubiales when he said that he wouldn't resign at the press conference on Friday (indeed all practically all them men present clapped as Rubiales attacked Hermoso). Both Vilda and de la Fuente have now come out and said that Rubiales behaviour was 'inappropriate'.

But the reaction is Spain has been swift - Xavi condemned Rubiales and gave 'unconditional support' to Hermoso - several male players have said they will not play for the Spainish team until Rubiales is sacked. Alexia Putellas tweet #SeAcabo (It's Over) has gone viral. At the Sevilla V Girona game the Sevilla players wore t-shirts with #SeAcabo - and the entire 30,000 attendance chanted in support of Hermoso. Before the game between Cadiz and Almeria the Cadiz players unfurled a banner stating 'Todas Somos Jenni' - we are all Jenni - to cheers from the 20,000 in attendance. Thousands of fans have turned up to games in Spain with home-made placards in support of Hermoso. Fans of Rayo Vallecano, the traditional left-wing club in Madrid, are planning a major protest in support of Jenni Hermoso in Madrid ahead of their game against Atletico Madrid tomorrow night.

Rubiales actions demonstrated the ingrained misogyny, racism and homophobia in the Spanish political and cultural establishment. The potential is that the opposition to Rubiales and the RFEF could grow like the 2018 protests against the failure to convict five men for the gang rape of a 14 year old girl (they were convicted of sexual abuse). Eventually Rubiales (and probably Vilda) will be forced out - but it is important that the momentum to force change at the top of the RFEF should not be lost and it should be carried over internationally to send a message that misogyny and assault will not be tolerated.

afp_en_ac2cdded52171d017a12d72d10cdbf979c562d9e.jpg

082723_esp-jenni-hermoso_epa-(2).jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yep, I was reading earlier that the Spanish football authorities have today activated their sexual violence protocol. This is one day after threatening to launch legal proceedings against the victim. This has exposed a culture in Spanish football. Let’s not kid ourselves we don’t have similar problems with macho culture here though, and not just in football. It also exists on NSC with embarrassing threads by Crodo. The only way to control it is to create serious consequence and in this case it is happening.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Did she assault him by lifting him off his feet?
Looks like she enjoyed it at the time although I'm sure now there's been such social media condemnation she might have said otherwise.
Didn't he kiss a few of the other women too?
On the cheek but I guess that's acceptable?

What a f***ing sorry drippy mess this pathetic social media driven world has become.
I'm getting on a bit now and I hate to think what utter bollox my grandkids are going to have to put up with. Luckily I don't have too much of it left to endure. Yeah I know, but you just cant get away from this shite, it feels like it pervades absolutely every facet of life.

I don't watch TOWIE because I don't have to.
I don't watch Love Island because I don't have to.
But this is shit you just can't get away from. It's everywhere.

Down with this sort of thing.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Looks like she enjoyed it at the time although I'm sure now there's been such social media condemnation she might have said otherwise.

What a f***ing sorry drippy mess this pathetic social media driven world has become.
I'm getting on a bit now and I hate to think what utter bollox my grandkids are going to have to put up with. Luckily I don't have too much of it left to endure. Yeah I know, but you just cant get away from this shite, it feels like it pervades absolutely every facet of life.

I wonder how many solicitors defending men accused of rape have heard this or a similar line uttered over the years?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do yourself a favour and give your head a wobble

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Matron, matron. He’s not taken his medication again

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like she enjoyed it ....

I'm getting on a bit now and I hate to think what utter bollox my grandkids are going to have to put up with. Luckily I don't have too much of it left to endure. Yeah I know, but you just cant get away from this shite, it feels like it pervades absolutely every facet of life..

[/B]

Yup, totally agree.
I hope to God my Granddaughters don't have to put up with entitled men in positions of power assaulting them, and then dressing it up as 'she enjoyed it' and inventing a lift off his feet that didn't happen.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Yeah, I thought that was an appalling comment.
And viewing the actual evidence I consider it a valid comment.
I didn't see her trying to push him away and with all the cameras
there too.
I saw her lift him up off his feet.

And it's a huge step to go from an over exuberant celebratory kiss in the heat of the moment to rape.
An overtly sensationalist step.

Luckily I'm not one for the drama.

What about the women kissed on the cheek?
Why aren't their kisses under scrutiny?
I guess lips are sacrosanct.
Cheeks=ok, Lips=bad?
All media driven nonsense that band wagon jumping signallers love to latch on to.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
there too.

And it's a huge step to go from an over exuberant celebratory kiss in the heat of the moment to rape.

Cheeks=ok, Lips=bad?
All media driven nonsense that band wagon jumping signallers love to latch on to.
I’m not a ‘bandwagon jumping signaller,’ whatever that is. I didn’t notice it from social media. I commented on it when I saw it. I have seen this type of thing before when power in the workplace is used in this way. The ‘actual evidence’ is that the player has said the Head of the Spanish FA lied about consent, lied about her lifting him and then pressured her and her family to cover it up. He also grabbed his crotch when Spain scored. That’s the type of man he is. Fifteen players previously went on strike because of a culture of manipulative behaviour by those in charge. Now all the players and coaches have gone on strike. Despite all that evidence you are not believing her. You will probably never change I guess but I am pleased for my grandchild’s sake that a stand is being taken over this abuse of power.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
there too.

Cheeks=ok, Lips=bad?

This is a strange place to apply for a position at the Spanish FA.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
there too.

Cheeks=ok, Lips=bad?
If someone went up and did that to somebody in the workplace, you’d get sacked and you could get arrested.

I could kiss a couple of my close colleagues on the cheek. No way would I go in for a lip kiss. If you can’t see the difference, go into work on Monday and kiss a colleague full on the lips.
I imagine the guidelines will be pointed out to you pretty swiftly.

Thankfully, that’s the boundary here and not your fuzzy opinions on how she reacted to being assaulted.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

You’ve got grandchildren. Would you be ok with one of them having their head grabbed and kissed on the lips by their boss?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
there too.

Cheeks=ok, Lips=bad?
Nobody's mentioned rape but I suggest you go and speak to women that have been kissed unwillingly, or had their bum pinched, or their breasts fondled all against their will. I'm sure you'd be equally appalled if someone next to you, that isn't your partner, at the Amex kissed you on the lips when March scores his next goal.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
To exemplify how out of step @Algernon is with the world, Javier Tebas, La Liga president and vocal supporter of Vox, a political party that wants to strip back legislation protecting women's and LGBT rights, has condemned Rubiales' actions.

I think this is the first time Tebas has been accused of being a 'bandwagon-jumping Virtue Signaller".

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
You’ve got grandchildren. Would you be ok with one of them having their head grabbed and kissed on the lips by their boss?
If she'd just won the World Cup then I'd see it in the context of a joyous moment where emotions run high. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with it either although it would be up for her to decide.
I'm sure she'd say something about it immediately if she didn't appreciate it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If someone went up and did that to somebody in the workplace, you’d get sacked and you could get arrested.

I could kiss a couple of my close colleagues on the cheek. No way would I go in for a lip kiss. If you can’t see the difference, go into work on Monday and kiss a colleague full on the lips.
I imagine the guidelines will be pointed out to you pretty swiftly.

Thankfully, that’s the boundary here and not your fuzzy opinions on how she reacted to being assaulted.
Kissing on the lips is pretty taboo on building sites nowadays.

Well electricians still do it of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here