[News] The Assault on Jenni Hermoso

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If she'd just won the World Cup then I'd see it in the context of a joyous moment where emotions run high. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with it either although it would be up for her to decide.
I'm sure she'd say something about it immediately if she didn't appreciate it.
I’m just going to focus on this particular sentence of your post. You couldn’t be more wrong. Feelings from unwanted sexual touching can take years to deal with. People can be intimidated by a power imbalance and afraid to make a fuss, in part because they fear they will not be believed. Ironic really considering your disbelief of this player. I brought my kids up to speak up if they were ever made to feel uncomfortable. I hope everyone does the same. Minimising the act of unwanted touching is one way that this type of man seeks to get away with his behaviour. Being unaware of this does not give your loved ones much protection.

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If she'd just won the World Cup then I'd see it in the context of a joyous moment where emotions run high. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with it either although it would be up for her to decide.
I'm sure she'd say something about it immediately if she didn't appreciate it.
And I am sure you know how she was feeling - and the context of what happened within the culture that already existed within the RFEF towards those in the women's team - the 'brats' that they are.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If someone went up and did that to somebody in the workplace, you’d get sacked and you could get arrested.

I could kiss a couple of my close colleagues on the cheek. No way would I go in for a lip kiss. If you can’t see the difference, go into work on Monday and kiss a colleague full on the lips.
I imagine the guidelines will be pointed out to you pretty swiftly.

Thankfully, that’s the boundary here and not your fuzzy opinions on how she reacted to being assaulted.
If your close colleague had just won the World Cup I might consider it normal ish in a celebratory way.
I wouldn't expect you or them to slip the tongue in.
They might kiss you on the lips in an obviously emotionally charged situation though.
Would you then expect them fired? Would you consider it sexual violence and seek legal action?
You're suggesting the kiss on the cheek would be acceptable?
I think you'd find today's media obsessed/driven sheep would look to reputationally hang you for that also if they were told to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If your close colleague had just won the World Cup I might consider it normal ish in a celebratory way.
They might kiss you on the lips in an obviously emotionally charged situation though.
Would you then expect them fired? Would you consider it sexual violence and seek legal action?
I think you'd find today's media obsessed/driven sheep would look to reputationally hang you for that also if they were told to.
A rather barrel scraping post.

She has clearly stated that she did not consent to it, did not want him to do it, and did not like it.

In this case, that’s the only opinion that counts.

Not yours, not mine, not the newspapers’, and not Rubiales’.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I think you'd find today's media obsessed/driven sheep would look to reputationally hang you for that also if they were told
She has clearly stated that she did not consent to it, did not want him to do it, and did not like it.

In this case, that’s the only opinion that counts.

Not yours, not mine, not the newspapers’, and not Rubiales’.
Nicely put.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
3C5F6BD1-FB79-4589-8349-0CDB67246475.jpeg

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I’m just going to focus on this particular sentence of your post. You couldn’t be more wrong. Feelings from unwanted sexual touching can take years to deal with. People can be intimidated by a power imbalance and afraid to make a fuss, in part because they fear they will not be believed. Ironic really considering your disbelief of this player. I brought my kids up to speak up if they were ever made to feel uncomfortable. I hope everyone does the same. Belittling the act of unwanted touching is one way that this type of man seeks to get away with his behaviour. Being unaware of this does not give your loved ones much protection.
My daughters are adults and woe betide anyone who thinks they might ever take advantage of them.
They have their own minds and wouldn't need a tidal wave of social media fauxtrage to sort things out.
What's that you say, I'm lucky they are so strong. Well yes I am. If you ever met them you'd see that.
And I do appreciate all aren't.
But let's be honest here, this has been lovingly instigated by an inflammatory media who need bad guy stories.

And people can't see that and just lap it up each and every day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My daughters are adults and woe betide anyone who thinks they might ever take advantage of them.
They have their own minds and wouldn't need a tidal wave of social media fauxtrage to sort things out.
What's that you say, I'm lucky they are so strong. Well yes I am. If you ever met them you'd see that.
And I do appreciate all aren't.
But let's be honest here, this has been lovingly instigated by an inflammatory media who need bad guy stories.

And people can't see that and just lap it up each and every day.
What has “being strong” got to do with not wanting to be forcefully kissed by someone?

Additionally, strength of character does not rule someone out of being assaulted or abused.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Kissing on the cheek is a common greeting right across Europe.

Kissing on the lips is not. It is saved for people who are intimate with each other.

This line of your argument is entirely nonsensical.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
To exemplify how out of step @Algernon is with the world, Javier Tebas, La Liga president and vocal supporter of Vox, a political party that wants to strip back legislation protecting women's and LGBT rights, has condemned Rubiales' actions.

I think this is the first time Tebas has been accused of being a 'bandwagon-jumping Virtue Signalling".
Now here's the thing.
I expect there are many more like me who are fed up with this nonsense at every opportunity than there are like you.
However, my side (if you like) mainly keep quiet as we're exasperated so often with the utter tripe that comes from those supposedly in step with the world.
I knew when I first posted exactly what the few posters on here would come out and say but thought It would give me something to do for a few hours whilst sitting here at work.

You're in step with some on social media.
Not in step with the majority who just can't be arsed any more.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
About as much as you knew how she was feeling
Well - let's let Jenni Hermoso speak for herself -

"After achieving one of the most desired successes of my sporting career and after a few days of reflection, I want to give my heartfelt thanks to my teammates, fans, followers, media and all of you who have made this dream come true; your work and unconditional support have been a fundamental part of winning the World Cup.

In reference to what happened today. While it is true that I do not want to interfere with the multiple legal processes underway, I feel obliged to denounce that the words of Mr. Luis Rubiales explaining the unfortunate incident are categorically false and part of the manipulative culture that he has generated.

I clarify that at no time did the conversation to which Mr. Luis Rubiales referred take place and that, far from it, his kiss was consensual. In the same way, I would like to reiterate, as I did at the time, that this was not to my liking.

The situation caused me a shock due to the context of the celebration, and as time went by and after delving a little deeper into those first feelings, I felt the need to denounce this event, as I believe that no person, in any work, sporting or social environment, should be a victim of this type of non-consensual behaviour. I felt vulnerable and a victim of aggression, an impulsive, sexist act, out of place and without any type of consent on my part.

I was asked to make a joint statement to reduce the pressure on the president, but at that moment in my mind I only had the idea of enjoying the historic milestone achieved together with my teammates. That's why, at all times, I told the RFEF and its various interlocutors, as well as the media and people I trusted, that I would not make any kind of individual or joint statement on this matter, as I understood that, if I did, it would take even more attention away from such a special moment for my teammates and for me.

Despite my decision, I have to say that I have been under continuous pressure to come up with a statement that could justify the act of Mr. Luis Rubiales. Not only that, but in different ways and through different people, the RFEF has pressured my entourage (family, friends, colleagues, etc.) to give a testimony that had little or nothing to do with my feelings.

It is not for me to evaluate communication and integrity practices but I am sure that as a World Champion National Team we do not deserve a manipulative, hostile and controlling culture. This type of incident joins a long list of situations that we players have been denouncing in recent years, so this incident, in which I have been involved, is just the last straw and what everyone has been able to see, but attitudes like this have been part of the daily life of our national team for years.

For all these reasons, I want to reinforce the position I took from the beginning, considering that I do not have to support the person who has committed this action against my will, without respecting me, at a historic moment for me and for women's sport in this country.

In no case can it be my responsibility to assume the consequences of transmitting something I do not believe in, which is why I have refused the pressure I have been put under.

ZERO TOLERANCE with such behaviour.

I want to close by making it very clear that although I am the one expressing these words, it is all the players in Spain and the world who have given me the strength to come out with this statement. Faced with such a show of disrespect and inability to recognise my own mistakes and assume the consequences, I have taken the decision not to return to play for the national team as long as the current leadership continues."

AND THROUGH THE PLAYERS UNION FUTPRO -

"My union FUTPRO, in coordination with my agency TMJ are taking care of defending my interests and being the interlocutors on this matter. From FUTPRO we express our firm and resounding condemnation of conduct that violates the dignity of women".

"From our association we ask the Royal Spanish Football Federation to implement the necessary protocols, ensure the rights of our players and adopt exemplary measures. It is essential that our national team, current world champion, is always represented by figures that project values of equality and respect in all areas. It is necessary to continue to advance in the fight for equality, a fight that our female players have led with determination, bringing us to the position we are in today. We also call on the Consejo Superior de Deportes to support and actively promote prevention and intervention against sexual harassment or abuse, machismo and sexism, within its competences".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow - stretching it a bit there. Post #5 was likening a comment YOU made to being the same as that being made by rape defendants. Hermoso hasn't once mentioned rape. She's absolutely in the right here. I know from experience it's a shocking experienced for someone to force themselves on you and it can take time to actually compute what has happened. Carry on suggesting it's a throw away action though - most of us see it as what it really is, sexual assault.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Now here's the thing.
I expect there are many more like me who are fed up with this nonsense at every opportunity than there are like you.
However, my side (if you like) mainly keep quiet as we're exasperated so often with the utter tripe that comes from those supposedly in step with the world.
I knew when I first posted exactly what the few posters on here would come out and say but thought It would give me something to do for a few hours whilst sitting here at work.

You're in step with some on social media.
Not in step with the majority who just can't be arsed any more.
She’s said she didn’t want it to happen, she didn’t consent, and didn’t like it.

What here is confusing you? Where is the sticking point?

If one of your strong minded daughters said her boss had kissed her and she did not want him to and was arguing with her about it and telling her and everyone else he’d done nothing wrong. Would you tell her to stop being a sheep.

I simply don’t get your argument on this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well - let's let Jenni Hermoso speak for herself -

"After achieving one of the most desired successes of my sporting career and after a few days of reflection, I want to give my heartfelt thanks to my teammates, fans, followers, media and all of you who have made this dream come true; your work and unconditional support have been a fundamental part of winning the World Cup.

In reference to what happened today. While it is true that I do not want to interfere with the multiple legal processes underway, I feel obliged to denounce that the words of Mr. Luis Rubiales explaining the unfortunate incident are categorically false and part of the manipulative culture that he has generated.

I clarify that at no time did the conversation to which Mr. Luis Rubiales referred take place and that, far from it, his kiss was consensual. In the same way, I would like to reiterate, as I did at the time, that this was not to my liking.

The situation caused me a shock due to the context of the celebration, and as time went by and after delving a little deeper into those first feelings, I felt the need to denounce this event, as I believe that no person, in any work, sporting or social environment, should be a victim of this type of non-consensual behaviour. I felt vulnerable and a victim of aggression, an impulsive, sexist act, out of place and without any type of consent on my part.

I was asked to make a joint statement to reduce the pressure on the president, but at that moment in my mind I only had the idea of enjoying the historic milestone achieved together with my teammates. That's why, at all times, I told the RFEF and its various interlocutors, as well as the media and people I trusted, that I would not make any kind of individual or joint statement on this matter, as I understood that, if I did, it would take even more attention away from such a special moment for my teammates and for me.

Despite my decision, I have to say that I have been under continuous pressure to come up with a statement that could justify the act of Mr. Luis Rubiales. Not only that, but in different ways and through different people, the RFEF has pressured my entourage (family, friends, colleagues, etc.) to give a testimony that had little or nothing to do with my feelings.

It is not for me to evaluate communication and integrity practices but I am sure that as a World Champion National Team we do not deserve a manipulative, hostile and controlling culture. This type of incident joins a long list of situations that we players have been denouncing in recent years, so this incident, in which I have been involved, is just the last straw and what everyone has been able to see, but attitudes like this have been part of the daily life of our national team for years.

For all these reasons, I want to reinforce the position I took from the beginning, considering that I do not have to support the person who has committed this action against my will, without respecting me, at a historic moment for me and for women's sport in this country.

In no case can it be my responsibility to assume the consequences of transmitting something I do not believe in, which is why I have refused the pressure I have been put under.

ZERO TOLERANCE with such behaviour.

I want to close by making it very clear that although I am the one expressing these words, it is all the players in Spain and the world who have given me the strength to come out with this statement. Faced with such a show of disrespect and inability to recognise my own mistakes and assume the consequences, I have taken the decision not to return to play for the national team as long as the current leadership continues."

AND THROUGH THE PLAYERS UNION FUTPRO -

"My union FUTPRO, in coordination with my agency TMJ are taking care of defending my interests and being the interlocutors on this matter. From FUTPRO we express our firm and resounding condemnation of conduct that violates the dignity of women".

"From our association we ask the Royal Spanish Football Federation to implement the necessary protocols, ensure the rights of our players and adopt exemplary measures. It is essential that our national team, current world champion, is always represented by figures that project values of equality and respect in all areas. It is necessary to continue to advance in the fight for equality, a fight that our female players have led with determination, bringing us to the position we are in today. We also call on the Consejo Superior de Deportes to support and actively promote prevention and intervention against sexual harassment or abuse, machismo and sexism, within its competences".

And there we go.
Thanks for posting.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
A rather barrel scraping post.

No it wasn't. But if you don't want to answer then I understand.

ESPN:
Hermoso downplayed Rubiales' behaviour earlier on Monday, saying the kiss was "no big deal" and blaming "the emotion of the moment."

"It was a mutual, totally spontaneous gesture because of the huge joy of winning a World Cup," she said in a statement to news agency EFE. "The 'presi' and I have a great relationship. ... It was a natural gesture of affection and gratitude."

She's obviously changed her mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports