Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Anderson just doesn’t look himself does he, he looks like he’s lost a yard and I just don’t see that passion burning in him anymore, he looks frustrated.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Wind howling, overcast conditions, Australia a bowler down… We’ve had the much better of the conditions and we are still well behind in this match.

Be interesting to see how many the Aussies will want to be in the lead before a declaration, if at all, without a front line spinner will they be more conservative? I guess it doesn’t really matter what they set, England will have a biff and a hoik

Apparently just bowl short and make us inexplicably play every ball and they'll be fine.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This was the Aussie field earlier with all those bumpers, must say I rate the tactics from Cummins though, he played on the england players bone idle must score 6 an over at all times mentality. They’ve thoroughly shown that brains outsmarts brainless brawn.
IMG_3585.jpeg

When you see that field it makes it all the more hilarious that our batmsan continued to hook it in the air :lolol:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This was the Aussie field earlier with all those bumpers, must say I rate the tactics from Cummins though, he played on the england players bone idle must score 6 an over at all times mentality. They’ve thoroughly shown that brains outsmarts brainless brawn.View attachment 162914

When you see that field it makes it all the more hilarious that our batmsan continued to hook it in the air :lolol:
:annoyed::angry::angry::rant::facepalm::facepalm::shootself:annoyed::angry::wrong:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
In other news, Sri Lanka are struggling against The Netherlands. They managed to get back to a target of 214 and The Netherlands have had a couple of ducks (and a horrendous run out). Currently 126-4 with just under 30 overs to go.
Thanks for the tip, I turned over.

Sadly the Dutch are now 8 down so I will be back to the Ashes soon.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There's so much media hype about 'Bazball' but it's basically just a hit and hope slog. There's no mystery, or particular skill, to it. Sometimes it will come off, sometimes you'll look like complete idiots. Currently the latter.
Agreed.
It is transferring one day mentality to Test cricket. The pacing of a five day contest bears no consideration. Opposition as good as Australia are paid no respect. We were told they were going to go even harder in this Test rather than try and learn from the mistakes of the First Test. An England opener declared that we will win this Test by 150 runs. What is the basis for this? The man is at best deluded and at worse an idiot. We haven't dominated the Aussies for some time. Whatever possesses people to think that we can bully and intimidate the strongest team in the world.
This is a decent England side playing into the hands of the Aussies, who can't believe their luck.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anderson drops one, to add to his woes… deary me
Sadly like the clock watching over this match, Father Time has no respect for past deeds when it catches up with you.

For England’s greatest bowler, this looks like a series too far sadly. In elite competition you only need to lose a couple of % and it’s enough to make you ordinary.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Has Ollie always been below the 80mph mark? I’ve always thought of him as an early to mid eighties type bowler.

Watching our bowlers reminds me of something I said before the series even began, the Aussies have a much better balance of attack, even with the expensive Starc you’ve got 3/4 quicks who are all fairly different, and as proved in that England innings when a pitch doesn’t respond a certain way they can change things up

If this pace attack start bowling bouncers the Aussies will be laughing themselves to the run bank.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
What on EARTH is Ollie pope doing out there fielding? Utterly bizarre, he can’t even throw the ball!!

Sorry, but we were utter shite before Stokes and McCullum turned up, the transformation of the last year of an abject Test team has been remarkable.

It has unravelled here but there is no way you bin the process because of this series, this is something to learn from, and develop the approach, not bin it.

Do you not recall the previous 4 years or so of being second best in pretty much every series including losing to the Windies!
AH! I don't mean bin it entirely, I meant tone it down. It's clearly not working here, so needs binning for now and back to basics before we get back in control.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
England's attack is as dull as the weather. I was offered a ticket for tomorrow but couldn't go, frankly I'm relieved

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here