Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion player you were most gutted to see leave/sold...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Darren Currie is a good shout.

I remember at the time thinking it was about time we unearthed some overlooked gem of a player. He wasn't a promising youngster and his career hadn't been particularly spectacular up until that point so expectations were relatively low but as soon as I saw him play I couldn't believe our luck. It was as if somehow the Albion was his dream club, bringing out the very best in him, and I loved seeing him whip in dangerous crosses each week.

What was so gutting about him leaving was that we didn't even get a whole season out of him. It's like we plucked him from relative obscurity just to have him showcase his skills for a bigger club to pick him up at the first opportunity. Went and scored on his debut for Ipswich too, which just made it sting more.

Of course the club did well out of the deal making a relatively easy £250k for a player picked up for nothing just 6 months previously, and given the position we were in I'm sure that cash was absolutely invaluable, but none of that mattered to me at the time. I was just gutted that this bleached blonde wing wizard was on his way so soon after having arrived and lit up the place

Stumpy Tim

Zamora, I was only young at the time and didn't understand why he wanted to leave :p

I remember writing a letter to him at Spurs and I actually got one back with a signed photo!

I love Bobby so much that my sons middle name is Bobby. This has just elevated him even further in my estimations. Absolutely LEGEND.

I was most upset to see Byrne leave. We had gone from the play-off final, to losing Nelson, Small & then Byrne in quick succession. Byrne is still in my top three favourite Brighton players

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Saunders was a big blow, but I really felt the Zamora one more.

As a child I also felt the sadness through my dad of Peter Ward leaving.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Fred Binney. Best poacher we ever had.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Peter Ward

"He shot, He left

I felt quite bereft"

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Also a vote for both Kurt Nogan and Mike Small. Neither was close to the raw talent of Zamora but the circumstances felt very different.

Despite a lean spell, I couldn't see where the goals would come from when Nogan left. He was a natural finisher and looked dynamite at times. His goal ratio was one in every two games in a very mediocre team. Small's switch to West Ham after that depressing play-off final felt like a double blow.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ward
Lawrenson
Stevens
Foster
Robinson
Horton
Zamora
Wilson
Case

All infinitely better players than any who have gone of late.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here