The Albion player you were most gutted to see leave/sold...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is non-thread. Anyone who watched Albion before 1980 is going to say Wardy.

and that includes me.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The players that went that i had really hoped we would keep include:
Ian Chapman / Paul McCarthy (we offered one a contract and released the other i think due to financial reasons as we couldn't really afford to keep both only for the contract to be turned down and we lost both and we ended up struggling)

Steve Sidwell (although only on loan, i felt that had we kept him until the end of the season or even signed him permanently, then he would have made the difference and we would have stayed up that season but ended up getting relegated instead, if only Reading hadn't come in and made a bid for him )

And already mentioned above, also players like Gotsmanov, Small and so on.

Others were always more likely to go, so it wasn't a surprise when they did leave, players like Zamora (who i think stayed with us a season too long for his career - went from frequent goalscorer to injured and out of form / low on confidence before his move and may have limited his impact when he first moved)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was gutted about Cullip going and at about the same time really disappointed that we sold Darren Currie. I really enjoyed watching Currie play and he created so many chances in his short spell. He had also improved dramatically from when we took a chance on him in the summer and looked like he was going to get better with every game he played. It also hurt that he went to my best friend's team Ipswich. I know the money massively helped and Ipswich were fighting for promotion but I wasn't happy.

Cullip going showed how desperate the club was at the time. I loved the guys passion and even now I miss the leadership he showed, we've seen nothing like it since he left. To have had 3 seasons in the Championship during the Withdean years is quite remarkable, and he was key to putting the club in that position.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The likes of Zamora, and now Bridcutt, deserve to be in the premier league, and they both stayed longer than I expected.

The two I felt most gutted about were Bennett and Murray, because it seemed unnecessary to lose them, they had more to give us. Bennett I think I've missed the most.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Saunders
Gotsmanov
Sidwell
But strangely Bennett tho I was dead pleased that he stayed til the end of the season with his new yellow boots. We were also on the up and buying when he left but I was still gutted.

For me Bridcutt sale could be the turning point for Albion either upwards or downwards.
Like Saunders and Catlin or could this be when Garcia starts to make it his team and we take another step up. Hmmm

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Jimmy Langley

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Zamora hurt me bad. Real bad.

Also, weirdly, Darren Currie.

Nelson for me, because of the way Lloyd treated him. A favourite player of mine, though he possibly was more of a wide player - he tended to drift wide once we got promotion after his great season. Zamora I suppose was inevitable; I didn't think his heart was really in it during the second half of the 2002-2003 season, despite goals like his one away at Wolves. I think it was a pity if Everton did bid £3 million, or £3.5 million or whatever it was, that we didn't take it, instead of ending up with the cut-price sale to Spurs. Currie was a kick in the guts, as it brought home to me just what a mess we were in because of the Public Enquiry. It all goes to show what an achievement it was for Mark McGhee to keep us up that season. The one that annoyed me the most, though, was Dean Saunders, as the ridiculous sale price showed how badly the club was being run at the time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The loss of Zamora was tempered by the emergence of Knight which softened the blow.

Bas Savage. He was about the only entertaining thing when Withdean was becoming a chore and the team was meek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports