The 5th Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, The Oval 21-25.08.13

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Twenty off that Kerrigan over, so 2-0-28-0. Worst couple of debut overs in test match history?

I'm REALLY pissed off that the selectors have taken the risk of this double bowler debut. The only upside is that they get a bit of experience - neither bowler is going to win the match for us. The downsides:

1. One or both get carted.
2. Haemorraghing runs and no pressure, so massive pressure on Swann, Anderson and Broad to come up with something at the end of a long series.
3. Australia win the match big, shifting the dynamic completely going into the series Down Under.

Fine, if you want to give someone a debut then play 5 proper bowlers in case the debut boy bottles, but this is looking like we've effectively got 3 bowlers now. Pray God none of the three picks up an injury. Watson must think it's Christmas.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anderson / Broad / Swann 20-6-44-1
Woakes / Kerrigan 7-1-58-0

Question - had Monty not had his meltdown would he have played in this test?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
First hour... 37-1 (14 overs)

England will be pretty happy... but all to play for in the next hour...

Well, after an even first hour, the second has gone to Australia in spectacular fashion - with brutal treatment of debutants Woakes (5-1-30-0) and Kerrigan (2-0-28-0)

Lunch Day 1: Australia 112-1 (29 overs)

Rogers 21* (87 balls) Watson 80* (77 balls)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am happy with picking the second spinner, but Tremlett instead of Woakes for me. We could then not expose the debutant too much in the first innings, and let him make an impact when the pitch is a bit more suitable for him. Two changes makes it very hard to see how we get through the first innings - mind if we had won the toss it could have been so different.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
i don't think he is ready for test match cricket and hes bowling far too short

It's nerves, I'm very guilty of doing the same thin if I'm nervy, I want to get through my action to quickly and drag it short. Watson was especially brutal, fair play to the Aussies they got after both debutants, just the right thing to do.

I agree that Woakes doesn't have the pace to be a top class test bowler. However, if he could average 35 with bat and ball I think we'd be happy with a player like that. He'a a similar pace to Watson isn't he?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The debutants have bowled just 7 overs between them on a flat track with an attacking batsman making a point.

Now I'm usually the one to do the moaning, but it seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction to start saying they are not good enough, 5 and 2 overs in respectively!

Woakes was clearly favoured ahead of Tremlett as he can bat, and with the dropping of a batsman, that made sense, as does playing 2 spinners on this surface.

I also think Cook has set the right fields, and made good bowling changes, although perhaps went to spinners a both ends a little to early.

Long way to go in this match yet, hopefully this ball will do what the last one did at 40 overs old!!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's nerves, I'm very guilty of doing the same thin if I'm nervy, I want to get through my action to quickly and drag it short. Watson was especially brutal, fair play to the Aussies they got after both debutants, just the right thing to do.

I agree that Woakes doesn't have the pace to be a top class test bowler. However, if he could average 35 with bat and ball I think we'd be happy with a player like that. He'a a similar pace to Watson isn't he?

Watching a bit of it this morning, Woakes pace is not the problem. It was his line and lack of variation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watching a bit of it this morning, Woakes pace is not the problem. It was his line and lack of variation.

His first 2 overs were fine, he was then subjected to Watson really going for it. Tough circumstances on debut. Test cricket is tough, but both debutants were exposed there right when Watson was in full flow.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Watson has impressive control when bowling though, which is clearly where the value in picking him as part of your attack lies. Woakes is just a one-day bowler being asked to step up, I imagine he'll always go for runs. His style isn't troubling anyone at 75-80mph. I would also seriously question where he'll average anywhere near 35 batting in Test matches too, but I haven't seen as much of his batting so I'll wait to judge that.

Woakes was bowling at 85mph, the same as Broad and Anderson.

The problem was the line and lack of variety.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Watson has impressive control when bowling though, which is clearly where the value in picking him as part of your attack lies. Woakes is just a one-day bowler being asked to step up, I imagine he'll always go for runs. His style isn't troubling anyone at 75-80mph. I would also seriously question where he'll average anywhere near 35 batting in Test matches too, but I haven't seen as much of his batting so I'll wait to judge that.

We'll see I guess, the point I'm making is there is a role for a lower paced control bowler who contributes effectively with the bat. Woakes may not be the man, again, perhaps he was nervy this morning. There have been some poor debutants in Test match cricket that have gone on to great things ask Gooch & Warne.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Woakes is the ridiculous selection here, not Kerrigan. Woakes will never be a Test player because neither his batting nor his bowling are good enough. Kerrigan has been a bit unlucky because he's been thrown to the lions on the first morning of a Test match against Watson who was already smashing it about. Sure, his bowling has been too short and too slow, but he will learn. I have far more patience with a spinner learning his craft than I do a mediocre batsman/80 mph bowler plodding through.

Long term Kerrigan has a far greater chance of being part of the England set up than Woakes but, whatever they (Cook/Flower) say this selection we have ended up with is based upon a long sequence of events as follows:-

"oh shit Monty has imploded we don't have another spinner for the winter"
"Who is the next best?"
"Kerrigan is bowling well"
"But he cant make his debut at Sydney, he will be under huge pressure"
"Ok lets pick him for the Oval then, that will spin on the last couple of days"
"What and drop Swann?"
"No, your right, I know lets play two spinners, after all we are 3-0 up"
"Ok, but wont that but too much pressure on Anderson, Broad & Swann, particularly if we lose the toss?"
"True, what we need is an seaming all rounder, what are the options?
"um... ah"
"Woakes has got decent averages"
"Brilliant lets throw him in then, can be worse at 6 than Bairstow"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports