Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 5th Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, The Oval 21-25.08.13

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Swanny PLAYS! Whoop whoop.

Unfortunately I panicked and put a saver on Harris (as top Aus bowler in the first inns). So now I need him to get MORE than his team mates, but no more than 2 (in the match) more than Swann...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, Bairstow and Bresnan make way for Woakes and Kerrigan. Good news to see England trying out 5 bowlers again, not before time in my opinion.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bring it on. Their sledging of him hasn't done much harm, has it. Broad has been magnificent. His best series performance in years.

I thought he was quite poor with the ball until the 4th test.

Looking up his stats before then, he was averaging 52 having only taken 6 wickets at a strike rate of almost 102.

1/40, 2/54
1/26, 0/54
1/108, 1/30

He did alright with the bat. I wouldn't say it was his best series performance in years.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
"We have some early breaking news. Big news about the England XI. Ian Bothan is out on the outfield and has presented caps to both Simon Kerrigan and Chris Woakes so two players set to make their debuts for England. But we don't, as yet, know who those guys are in the side for. Suggestions that James Anderson might be rested? We simple don't know at the moment."

Swann and Anderson rested??

I'm a fan of the changes, Bairstow hasn't got enough runs at 6 to justify his inclusion, after a long line of failed attempts at replacing Collingwood with a pure batsman, why not see if Woakes can average 35 but contribute with the ball as well.

We need to also start looking for a long term replacement for Swann. I genuinely don't think he will play on far past the winter. I suspect the major surgery he had in the winter has given him more trouble than he's letting on.

The Oval always turns so this side has the look of a team I'd like to play in India, Pakistan, 2 spinners, 3 seamers and pressure on Woakes to deliver with the bat at 6/7.

One question - why not swap Prior and Woakes in the batting order? Cricinfo has Woakes at 6.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So, Bairstow and Bresnan make way for Woakes and Kerrigan. Good news to see England trying out 5 bowlers again, not before time in my opinion.

The hesitation must have been because of Prior's lack of form (and also Trott to some extent). You could previously reply on Matt for 40 runs lower down the order. Not this series - the Aussies have worked him out in some way. So five bowlers makes for a long tail.

Of course countering that has been runs from Broad, Swann etc - so we're less brittle than we might have been in years gone by.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England: 1 Alastair Cook (capt), 2 Joe Root, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Chris Woakes, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Simon Kerrigan

Australia: 1 Chris Rogers, 2 David Warner, 3 Shane Watson, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Steven Smith, 6 Brad Haddin (wk), 7 James Faulkner, 8 Peter Siddle, 9 Mitchell Starc, 10 Ryan Harris, 11 Nathan Lyon

Here comes a VITAL first session...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Oval Test used to be a batsmans paradise for many years and it can be hard work for four bowlers.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Jerusalem on 5 Live Extra in a New York hotel room - feel like I am home

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In all the excitement about England's line up I missed Australia are giving Faulkner a go. I like the look of him, destructive batsman and a hit the deck hard type bowler.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Blofeld "one thinks back to 1954" - he has a good memory - bit before my time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I prefer the balance of 5 bowlers and 5 batsmen. I suspect we are playing 3 number 8's across 7, 8 and 9.

I think Tremlett's lack of pace may have done for him in the selection. He has not had the zip since coming back.

May well see Boyd and Overton travelling in the winter.

I don't know if it is representitive of how he's bowling in the County Championship but Tremlett's pace seemed down on Saturday in the 20/20 finals day.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
lbw appeal - not out, no review. Should have reviewed according to Tuffers.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In other cricket...

Yorkshire are currently 20/1 against Notts (Day 1 of 4)

Derbyshire are 288/8 vs Middlesex (Day 2 of 4)

1 Yorkshire 11 5 1 5 35 28 0.0 158.0
2 Sussex 12 4 2 6 37 29 0.0 148.0
3 Middlesex 11 5 2 4 25 27 0.0 144.0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here