Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2023-24 Pre-Season Friendly Thread (First team, U-21s and U-18s)

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Nine of last season's U-16s were offered scholarships, and we now know that Liverpool U-16 striker Joe Belmont has joined as a scholar. So, the ten 1st-year scholars I am aware of:-

Joe Belmont
Layth Gulzar
Ronnie Gorman
Matthew Hayden
Josh Lewis
Callum Mackley
Alfie Mansell (GK)
Corbin Mthunzi
Shane Nti
Aidan West

To the best of my knowledge, Albion's bid to sign Celtic's Ronan Ferns has not been successful (yet, at least).

Of the other U-16s from last season, George Iorpenda has signed as a scholar at Ipswich Town. I know his older brother Thomas (a couple of years in front of him) was offered a scholarship by Albion but chose to go to Huddersfield Town instead, for whatever reason, where he is now a professional. I have no idea whether we offered George a scholarship and he turned it down, or whether he wasn't offered one. Cian Morling and Andy Dzontoh were also (presumably) not offered scholarships but I don't know if they have found other clubs.

Elidon O'Boyle (who also seems to go by the name Don Mulgeci on social media - I think his mum is Irish and his dad is Albanian) is the same age group but I believe he only spent his U-15 schoolboy season at Albion, moving from Chelsea, before heading to Millwall last season where he is now a scholar.

Of the other names you mention, Harry Howell, Will Rutter and Freddie Simmonds are all U-16s this season.
I am absolutely delighted I have tempted you into a full report, thank you very much! Josh Lewis is a new name for me. They must have high hopes for Howell then as he got plenty of minutes even last season. I hope the club release a similar article on the club website like previous years, always enjoyed them. e.g.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nine of last season's U-16s were offered scholarships, and we now know that Liverpool U-16 striker Joe Belmont has joined as a scholar. So, the ten 1st-year scholars I am aware of:-

Joe Belmont
Layth Gulzar
Ronnie Gorman
Matthew Hayden
Josh Lewis
Callum Mackley
Alfie Mansell (GK)
Corbin Mthunzi
Shane Nti
Aidan West

To the best of my knowledge, Albion's bid to sign Celtic's Ronan Ferns has not been successful (yet, at least).

Of the other U-16s from last season, George Iorpenda has signed as a scholar at Ipswich Town. I know his older brother Thomas (a couple of years in front of him) was offered a scholarship by Albion but chose to go to Huddersfield Town instead, for whatever reason, where he is now a professional. I have no idea whether we offered George a scholarship and he turned it down, or whether he wasn't offered one. Cian Morling and Andy Dzontoh were also (presumably) not offered scholarships but I don't know if they have found other clubs.

Elidon O'Boyle (who also seems to go by the name Don Mulgeci on social media - I think his mum is Irish and his dad is Albanian) is the same age group but I believe he only spent his U-15 schoolboy season at Albion, moving from Chelsea, before heading to Millwall last season where he is now a scholar.

Of the other names you mention, Harry Howell, Will Rutter and Freddie Simmonds are all U-16s this season.

I am absolutely delighted I have tempted you into a full report, thank you very much! Josh Lewis is a new name for me. They must have high hopes for Howell then as he got plenty of minutes even last season. I hope the club release a similar article on the club website like previous years, always enjoyed them. e.g.

I have seen a suggestion today that Albion are also interested in Luton Town centre-back Jacob Vickers. He would be a first-year scholar for 2023-24.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Joe Belmont
Layth Gulzar
Ronnie Gorman
Matthew Hayden
Josh Lewis
Callum Mackley
Alfie Mansell (GK)
Corbin Mthunzi
Shane Nti
Aidan West

Out of interest how do you get all this information? You’re one of my favourite accounts on here with how much you know about the academy, it’s very interesting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
10 days out and still no sign of any UK Broadcaster picking up the rights for the PL Summer Series? That's poor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Given the games are all to be played at midnight-ish in the UK, and are all meaningless friendlies, I can't see there's much of a market...
Given the sorts of live sports we see shown at all hours of the day, and given the PL is one of the biggest sports leagues in the world - I'd say there's an an audience?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Out of interest how do you get all this information? You’re one of my favourite accounts on here with how much you know about the academy, it’s very interesting.

I believe it's scouring social media plus maybe an inside source or 2.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sunday 23rd July 2023
00:00
Chelsea v Brighton & Hove Albion
Premier League Summer Series
Sky Sports Main Event/Sky Sports Premier League/Sky Sports Ultra HDR/Sky Showcase

21:00
Fulham v Brentford
Sky Sports Main Event/Sky Sports Premier League/Sky Sports Ultra HDR

Monday 24th July 2023
Newcastle United v Aston Villa

Wednesday 26th July 2023
22:30
Brentford v Brighton & Hove Albion

Thursday 27th July 2023
Fulham v Aston Villa

01:15
Newcastle United v Chelsea

Saturday 29th July 2023
00:30
Brighton & Hove Albion v Newcastle United

Sunday 30th July 2023
17:00
Aston Villa v Brentford

19:45
Chelsea v Fulham

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There's no secret - I simply do a huge amount of research.

I do very occasionally get a little tidbit of information from someone that might be in the know, but 99% comes from doing the legwork. You'd be amazed at what info is actually out there, but obviously most people don't have the time or inclination to go and find it.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Updated with news of the U-21s' fixture against Eastleigh tomorrow:-

(Kick-off times are local)

1st Team:

Training camp in the US?

Saturday July 22 Kick-off: 7:00pm v Chelsea (Venue: Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia)
Wednesday July 26 Kick-off: 5:30pm v Brentford (Venue: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta)
Friday July 28 Kick-off: 7:30pm v Newcastle United (Venue: Red Bull Arena, New Jersey)
Sunday August 6 Kick-off: 3:00pm v Rayo Vallecano (Venue: Amex Stadium)

U-21s:

Friday July 7 Lost 0-4 v Worthing (Venue: Amex Elite Football Performance Centre)
Friday July 14 Kick-off: ?pm v Eastleigh (Venue: Amex Elite Football Performance Centre)
Tuesday August 1 Kick-off: 7:45pm v Hemel Hempstead Town (Venue: Vauxhall Road)

U-18s:

Saturday July 8 Lost 0-3 v Cambridge Utd U-18s (Venue: ?, Cambridge)
Saturday July 15 Kick-off: 3:00pm v Burgess Hill Town (Venue: More Than Tyres Stadium)

As for the U-16s/U-15s group - the last few years they have participated at the Rey Cup in Iceland in July, but this year they are visiting Northern Ireland to participate in the long-standing Super Cup (used to be called the Milk Cup) for the first time - SuperCupNI

Anyone have details of any other friendlies?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
One of the under18s just posted a pic of him playing (for the Albion) against Worthing. In the photo it’s sunny so definitely not today!

*Edit* presumably it was the 7 July match

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
One of the under18s just posted a pic of him playing (for the Albion) against Worthing. In the photo it’s sunny so definitely not today!

*Edit* presumably it was the 7 July match
The line-up against Worthing included Harry Mills, Sahil Bashir and Bailey Smith.

Today's line-up against Eastleigh included Tommy Reid, Charlie Tasker, Leigh Kavangah, Ruari McConville, Harry Mills, Samy Chouchane, Remiero Moulton, Joe Knight, Benicio Baker-Boaitey, Marcus Ifill and Joshua Duffus.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I’m at the u18s match v Burgess Hill Town. Albion are 1-0 down to a fluke corner - whipped into the top corner by a gust of wind.
IMG_3589.jpeg
IMG_3596.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here