[Albion] That Wissa Punch

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The sanction for raising your hand and striking an opponent is a red.
Has been for a very long time.
Only when there is deliberate intent to strike your opponent in the chops. There was clearly no intent to do so.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
You’re a mind reader?
No. I do have eyes though. Although my glasses prescription does need renewing I'll give you that. I still think that you can clearly see by where he's looking and his body language that he seems to be thinking "gimme that ball back you little whelp!" and not "stitch that Jimmy!" If you reckon that's a deliberate PUNCH then I guess there's no convincing you and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No-one is claiming it's a haymaker.
Equally no-one seriously thinks JP fouled Janelt, but the sanction for that type of mistake is a Penalty.
We all know that.

Well I'm of the opinion that if it WASN'T an actual intentional "punch" in the face (which you will not convince me it was), then its not a red. He just swiped at the ball and missed it, as Billy was dicking around playing Harlem Globetrotters with it. There was no intention by Wissa to actually punch Gilmour in the face, and he didn't.

Footballers act like children. They exaggerate. Lets not fall into the trap that Gilmour was "punched in the face" - he wasn't. Wissa's fist was not clenched. It was just a swipe that missed, as Gilmour was reeling around to keep hold of the ball.

Christ. No wonder players all go to ground whenever someone gives them a dirty look, given the pitchfork brigade who are all out over this silly incident.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No. I do have eyes though. Although my glasses prescription does need renewing I'll give you that. I still think that you can clearly see by where he's looking and his body language that he seems to be thinking "gimme that ball back you little whelp!" and not "stitch that Jimmy!" If you reckon that's a deliberate PUNCH then I guess there's no convincing you and we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I’ve seen players sent off for pushing their opponents in the chest. The rule is raising the hand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’ve seen players sent off for pushing their opponents in the chest. The rule is raising the hand.
And (more often) I've seen them NOT sent off for that. Shoving matches are hardly uncommon.

Its football FFS, not a Mumsnet knitting circle.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Correctly, because WBG was delaying the re-start.
Oh, they've started penalising that again have they? Must have taken a few weeks break from bookings for that and just started again.

Watch next weekend as this same offence goes unpunished.

Like I say, the inconsistency is the trolling.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I can understand both sides here.

Sure, you don't want to see players getting sent off for accidental trash, and yes, if BG is delaying the BLAH BLAH BLAH then rightly a yellow.

My arguement is the rules (and VAR) seem to pick and chose what they are going to pull up and when. And Brighton are public enemy with the officials after RDZ 80% and Dunk gate.

Can you be sure that if the Wissa incident was the other way around and the GTech or whatever it's called, the outcome would have been the same?

Exactly, and that's my problem with the officials and VAR.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can understand both sides here.

Sure, you don't want to see players getting sent off for accidental trash, and yes, if BG is delaying the BLAH BLAH BLAH then rightly a yellow.

My arguement is the rules (and VAR) seem to pick and chose what they are going to pull up and when. And Brighton are public enemy with the officials after RDZ 80% and Dunk gate.

Can you be sure that if the Wissa incident was the other way around and the GTech or whatever it's called, the outcome would have been the same?

Exactly, and that's my problem with the officials and VAR.
If we want VAR to only intervene when there is a clear and obvious mistake, then we're going to get inconsistency based on the refs decision on the day. If you want complete consistency then VAR has to continually intervene.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think the officials are just trolling us. We can't do a thing about it. The whole pen/corner/drop ball at Stamford Bridge was one of the most embarrassing moments of officiating I've ever seen. Even going to the screen to double check was just insulting.

The punch today, I've kinda given up on officials. They're all f***ing idiots and I think they take joy in our misfortune after how publicly the manager, players (Dunk) and fans have told them they are twats. Dunk should have got a medal, not a ban.
Funny how opinions differ. Their pen was an obvious one on Saturday, and ours definitely wasn't. Ref didn't need to go to the screen i agree, but laws of the game state drop ball was correct after the pen was given then not given.

Last night Gilmour was clearly trying to prevent play from restarting; wissa swung to swipe the ball from his arm (he's clearly looking at the ball) - something and nothing for me as others have said on this thread. Was hardly a punch - again lots of blue and white tinted specs on here over this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Meh - something and nothing for me.
He's looking at the ball and swings his left arm to knock the ball out of Gilmour's arm. Gilmour simultaneously moves the ball away from him and Wissa's fingertips happen to catch WBG's face.
If you ask me the ref/VAR got it spot on - caution for WBG for delaying the re-start and caution for Wissa.
This is how I see it as well. Definitely not a punch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s not this simple. There has to be intent.

“In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.”

I personally think Wissa was trying to get the ball, it doesn’t look like a deliberate attempt to belt Gilmour, AND I also feel the force was negligible. Not a red.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Yellow was correct in my opinion. It wasn't violent conduct, Wissa was just trying to get the ball back and made minimal contact. The referee indicated that's what he had seen as well. Nothing for VAR to get involved in either. Move on

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Both players booked. Let that sink in.

The inconsistency is part of the trolling. Picking and choosing.
What do you even mean by that?

Preventing a restart is a bookable offence (technically can be a sending off offence)

Referees get grief left right and centre and rightly so for some decisions, but often it gets ridiculous and really unfair - its an insanely difficult job with decisions made in the moment (we all know var should do better though, or better still be scrapped). The ref saw the incident in real time - I've accepted the fact that what he saw was Gilmour preventing play restarting, wissa trying to swipe the ball. No intent to 'punch'. Yellow for both. About right for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We have had some awful referees this season, some terrible VAR decisions and opponents intent on taking advantage of both. Sadly it seems to have induced a victim complex in some, because there was little to no controversy last night and yes I include this "punch". There should be no complaints about our yellow cards or the VAR confirmation of the penalty.

Brentford didn't surround the ref for the penalty and rightly played on when Adringa was down for an ankle injury (something we had done minutes earlier). Both Pedro and Ferguson had much better games with their backs to goal, when defenders weren't ploughing through the back of them at every opportunity and without punishment.

Nothing to see here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not strictly true. If there‘s intent and force is beyond negligible It’s a red.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports