Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That Wissa Punch

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Oh, they've started penalising that again have they? Must have taken a few weeks break from bookings for that and just started again.

Watch next weekend as this same offence goes unpunished.

Like I say, the inconsistency is the trolling.
A Chelsea player was booked for kicking the ball away against us last weekend. Comes under the same offence Billy was booked for, delaying the restart.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Pretty surprised from the number of responses thinking yellow was the right call. I would be very surprised if the independent panel don’t say it should have been a red on VAR.

He knew exactly what he was doing, wasn’t trying to get the ball back, he had lost his rag at Billy (who correctly got a yellow) and deliberately struck him in the face. It’s a red all day.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
No matter which angle you show it from he was trying to get the ball. He collected Billy's chin/face on the way through. I think the yellow was about right as a caution for unsporting behaviour. To be violent conduct the rule says it must be deliberate. He was deliberately going for the ball, not someones face. Wissa is a tosser though..I can't stand players who when someone else is holding the ball, think its their god given right to strip it from them so they can get play going themselves...Another case of a player undermining the referees ability to decide if Billy was delaying the restart. Players need to focus on their own sportsmanship and conduct, rather than taking the law into their own hands.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Pretty surprised from the number of responses thinking yellow was the right call. I would be very surprised if the independent panel don’t say it should have been a red on VAR.

He knew exactly what he was doing, wasn’t trying to get the ball back, he had lost his rag at Billy (who correctly got a yellow) and deliberately struck him in the face. It’s a red all day.
I think we can all argue forever about what his intent was.
There was aggression, he raised his hand, and hit WBG.
Red Card is pretty common for those offences.

most commentators/Pundits were surprised it wasn't reviewed more / given as a red.

I get the fact that we don't want it to be a red ,as there was no real contact or a genuine attempt to cause harm.
We want it to be "A man's game"
However those days are gone.

Brentford were awarded a penalty for JP brushing the arm of the attcker.
Dunk got a 2 game ban for calling a bald prick, a bald prick.

For some reason, some of our fans, expect a much higher level of discipline from our players, than they feel is necessary from our opponents.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Agree. It DID look like a punch (was quite funny) but he's clearly just trying to grab the ball.

I guess you could say he connected so by the letter of the law, he should walk, but, meh indeed.
If he was trying to slap the ball away
Red all day long. If wisa was trying to get the ball he would have used his right hand as it would have been impossible with his left cause Billy had the ball tucked into his left side away from Wisas left.
That´s what I thought. But then again, I am biased.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I was just glad Billy didn’t fall to the ground and writhe around :smile:

It could have gone either way, being against Brighton it was just a yellow, How often does a contentious decision go our way? I think that is part of why RDZ gets so wound up with officials

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its not a "fist" at all (and I should know).

I felt at the time his intention was to knock the ball out of WBG's hand, and the replays confirm it. WBG turned at the same time as shielding the ball away, and Wissa's hand accidentally brushed his chin. Being a footballer, of COURSE he immediately went down as though he'd just been bitch-slapped by Chuck Norris. The ball was being held chest-high when Wissa initially went for it.

Total all-round buffoonery from both. Yellow for both was correct.
This is harsh on Gilmour, imo. If this incident had played out against pretty much ANY PL opposition, with the roles reversed, Fernandes / McGinn / Gordon would have been writhing on the ground for a full minute in tears, 8 of their team mates would have been screaming and spitting in the ref’s face, and the Albion player would have been trudging off the field, planning what to do over their three week holiday.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Never a red, Wissa made a clumsy attempt at going for the ball and if he made any contact with Gilmour at all it was a brush.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The reason why it wasn't a red was Gilmours reaction to it,yes he kind of went down but got straight back up,if that had been Bruno Fernandes he'd still be on his thousanth roll by now,and Wissa would be looking at a 3 match ban.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Meh - something and nothing for me.
He's looking at the ball and swings his left arm to knock the ball out of Gilmour's arm. Gilmour simultaneously moves the ball away from him and Wissa's fingertips happen to catch WBG's face.
If you ask me the ref/VAR got it spot on - caution for WBG for delaying the re-start and caution for Wissa.
It was far more of a something than the contact for the penalty! Only an awful dive 'won' that. VAR were not at the game it seems.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Am i right in thinking that VAR could have told ref that it was a red card after viewing it, but retrospective action can not be made because it was only given as a yellow card.
If the ref had not given anything for it, then action could be taken if reviewed today.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Am i right in thinking that VAR could have told ref that it was a red card after viewing it, but retrospective action can not be made because it was only given as a yellow card.
If the ref had not given anything for it, then action could be taken if reviewed today.
probably.

And to be frank retospective action fro Red cards is only any value, if the team you're playing is a direct rival.
More often than not, it just weakens the team further for their next opponents to take advantage of.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Never a red, Wissa made a clumsy attempt at going for the ball and if he made any contact with Gilmour at all it was a brush.
So was JPVH's "foul" for a penalty and a Yellow card.

I agree with the statement, but that isn't the way these things are interpreted by officials. anymore.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
The reason why it wasn't a red was Gilmours reaction to it,yes he kind of went down but got straight back up,if that had been Bruno Fernandes he'd still be on his thousanth roll by now,and Wissa would be looking at a 3 match ban.
exactly - and this is why players will continue to cheat and roll around after a slight contact, because having a moral compass and staying on your feet, seems to result in a lesser punishment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here