[Albion] That Wissa Punch

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Further more, the force was negligible.

Negligible is subjective

This. Literally the ONLY people who truly know how hard the contact was, are Wissa and Gilmour. Every single other person's perception of the force - be they referee, VAR official, commentator, pundit, Amex crowd or TV viewer - is based ENTIRELY on Billy Gilmour's reaction to the contact.

Had Gilmour reacted as many less honest PL players would surely have, Wissa would undoubtedly have been dismissed, and that decision would have not raised an eyebrow.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At football tonight I'm going to be SO careful with my handshakes after the game with the opposition. God forbid I get it slightly wrong and poke the guy in the stomach. Best to just stay well clear.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's very hard to have any sympathy/outrage for the actual injustices when the same fans think this is a violent act that warrants a red card.

Went for the ball. Missed it.

File it under "whoops"
Whoops is when Gary Hart was tripped by an opposition player, when he had the ball, and instead of a free kick, he received a yellow card for handball because he landed on the ball.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. Literally the ONLY people who truly know how hard the contact was, are Wissa and Gilmour. Every single other person's perception of the force - be they referee, VAR official, commentator, pundit, Amex crowd or TV viewer - is based ENTIRELY on Billy Gilmour's reaction to the contact.

Had Gilmour reacted as many less honest PL players would surely have, Wissa would undoubtedly have been dismissed, and that decision would have not raised an eyebrow.
Obviously the only people who really know are the two involved.....and it is for the referee and/or VAR to make a judgement call based on the evidence available...just as he did and just as we are. Had Gilmour collapsed and rolled around maybe it would have neccessitated a VAR viewing, maybe Wissa then gets sent off, maybe Gilmour gets a further card for simulating from what still to me looks like a soft and accidental action? I and we have no idea though; this is just conjecture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At football tonight I'm going to be SO careful with my handshakes after the game with the opposition. God forbid I get it slightly wrong and poke the guy in the stomach. Best to just stay well clear.
Last time I buy someone a beer.....they might accidentally punch me, flooring me in the process, when they take it out of my hands.

There's a nice tap-in regarding my online popularity right there if someone wants it :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Whoops is when Gary Hart was tripped by an opposition player, when he had the ball, and instead of a free kick, he received a yellow card for handball because he landed on the ball.
First a Shane Duffy example to illustrate perceived injustice and now Gary Hart, ffs?

What next? The time when Private Tommy Arbuckle of the King’s Own Fusiliers accidentally blew himself up by stepping on a land mine during the Christmas Day match on No Mans Land and was given yellow for leaving the field of play without permission?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The exact wording is

“I, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.”

It’s my view, and many others view, he was not deliberately punching Gilmore. Further more, the force was negligible.
If his feet are as wayward as his hands in terms of aim then him and Maupay will get on great!

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear

Imagine if it had been Bruno Fernandez! The emergency services would have attended with full life support equipment and helicopter evacuation

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
First a Shane Duffy example to illustrate perceived injustice and now Gary Hart, ffs?

What next? The time when Private Tommy Arbuckle of the King’s Own Fusiliers accidentally blew himself up by stepping on a land mine during the Christmas Day match on No Mans Land and was given yellow for leaving the field of play without permission?
Nothing wrong with every reference coming back to OGH.

Or, as they used to sing in the King's Own Fusiliers:

"Arbuckle was a Private.
He blew himself apart,
And when he flew though no man's land,
..... HE THOUGHT OF GARY HAAAAAART!"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here