Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] that De Zerbi interview

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm sure that Tony Bloom and the rest of Brighton's staff will support De Zerbi during the upcoming transfer window.

He also has the backing from us, the fans, which cannot be disregarded.

There is something special at our club, and it is excellently run from top to bottom, so I'll be surprised if he left to be honest.
Totally agree and I fully support our policy of buying younger and cheaper players.
It has worked well for us and will continue to do so.
The teenagers who played last night will only get better.

The only concern is that with 20 games to go, we seem to lose a player to injury each game and not get one back.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Losing three fantastic players in summer and the signings, other than J Pedro have been quite underwhelming in impact to date

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As far as I am aware, the transfer month hasn't even opened yet. We can't buy players at the moment.

Let's review in 6 weeks time.

FWIW if it's deemed we need players to progress in europe, I think uncle Tony WILL release funds.
👆🏻

This.

I think we had a pretty good squad when the last window closed (with the exception of not having depth in the full back positions) but we have been decimated by injuries.

The recruitment dept. can’t do anything at the moment but let’s judge them on the squad on the 1st Feb as you say. There is a fine line in terms of spending the big money wisely (£30m on Joao Pedro) or not so wisely (£43m on Locadia, Bernardo & Jahanbakhsh).

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I agree, his comments on Baleba made my heart drop. I can't see how we can blame the language barrier on that, I thought that was undermining and unprofessional to speak about players not being good enough. Strange times indeed...

It’s all down to both personal perception and what happened behind closed doors isn’t it? As long as he’s said what he said to Baleba face to face first, then I’ve got no problem with it. Baleba needs to know what’s required of him and that he needs to improve. If he’s told Baleba behind closed doors that his performance was fine, and then dug him out publicly, then I’d say there’s a problem.

RDZ would be doing the whole club a disservice if he was telling players whose performances weren’t up to standard that they were doing fine. I note the timing of just before the transfer window opens as well. RDZ wants to achieve the best results he can for us, that’s where he’s coming from. I absolutely agree he’s not happy with the result, I can’t say that he’s wrong regarding his diagnosis of fault, but I just don’t see this as a Poyet style strop, more frustration and a desire for more available tools in the toolkit. Remember that RDZ in the same interview also said that Baleba would be a great player in the Premier League, I’d be motivated to improve my positioning on hearing that, not sulking.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dahoud must be wondering if his face is going to fit here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thank you I think -’🙂 I’m not trying to impress anyone so don’t think I am ‘letting myself down’ it’s just a personal opinion that you don’t share which is fair enough . Igor is still learning the role - he’s no replacement for Pervis and doesn’t give Mitoma the back up he needs since he doesn’t have the confidence to play high. But he has bulk and an aggressive attitude on his side. He’s still bedding into the side,
He's a better defender than Pervis I think - but nothing like as effective at going forward. But at the moment, we need to stop shipping soft goals - so, a defender is probably paramount.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I posted in our Mods WhatsApp before the game that I believe RDZ will do a Poyet, either after the window or at the end of the season. I believe that even more now.

To an extent he has a point. We have a far weaker team this season than last and injuries really haven't helped. The big difference is Caicedo, Baleba is ok but he's very, very raw, so he's going to have good and bad games. We must have banked £200 million in transfers recently? It's not hard to bring in a couple of ready made replacements.

That said, I thought our summer window was decent, but it's clear I over estimated a couple of our signings. I thought Milner might be the next Lallana (when he first arrived) but @hans kraay fan club sussed him out straight away and was proved correct very quickly. His legs are shot. And Dahood is just awful. He doesn't get how we play at all and isn't fit to lace Mac Allister's boots. Milner's legs mean we were a full back (or two) and a ready made DM short in the last window. I thought Milner could do both. It turns out he can do neither.

BUT.

Two things in defence of the club. Firstly, with everyone fit we could play

Steele
Lamptey or Veltman, Dunk, Igor or JPvH, Estupinian
Gross Gilmour
March Fati Mitoma
Welbeck or Pedro or Ferguson

It's pretty clear that where we used to have a great midfield and no strikers, now we have an abundance of attacking talent and a less good midfield. However, the above is a side that should beat most PL and Europa League teams. It's far from terrible and the few 'young' players are in there on merit.

Secondly, the worst young player last night was Verbruggen and it's completely De Zerbi's choice to keep rotating keepers. He had the 33 year old Steele if he wanted who certainly wouldn't have chipped the ball to Olise.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Again that isn't quite what he said. The quote was 'it is the policy of the club to play with many young players. With young players you meed to concede they need time and to make mistakes'. He used Baleba as an example because last night there were a few examples when he made mistakes.

At the end of the day its nowhere near the level of alan cork/david cameron territory or mark mcghee and inert/inept gate
Stop quoting facts it’s not helping 😉

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
People are forgetting de zerbi had a mini breakdown last season around this time in interviews. When he said it would be unacceptable for the club to sell maccer or caciedo before the summer.

It's just his style.

On the plus side if he can't win games anymore at least we will probably get to enjoy him next season !!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
People are forgetting de zerbi had a mini breakdown last season around this time in interviews. When he said it would be unacceptable for the club to sell maccer or caciedo before the summer.

It's just his style.

On the plus side if he can't win games anymore at least we will probably get to enjoy him next season !!
Really? I must've missed that.

An actual mini breakdown? Is he OK now?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tbh, I don't see how anyone can criticise the club's policy when they main issue is an almost unprecedented injury crisis, which has deprived us of key players - Enciso, Fati, March, Veltman, Estupinan. Baleba has looked promising at times, and he's young enough to be coached. Dahoud, on the other hand, doesn't seem interested in doing any tracking back and isn't suddenly going to change at his age.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He's a better defender than Pervis I think - but nothing like as effective at going forward. But at the moment, we need to stop shipping soft goals - so, a defender is probably paramount.
so, at least two defenders and a DCM is probably paramount.

Slight change :)

It’s all down to both personal perception and what happened behind closed doors isn’t it? As long as he’s said what he said to Baleba face to face first, then I’ve got no problem with it. Baleba needs to know what’s required of him and that he needs to improve. If he’s told Baleba behind closed doors that his performance was fine, and then dug him out publicly, then I’d say there’s a problem.

RDZ would be doing the whole club a disservice if he was telling players whose performances weren’t up to standard that they were doing fine. I note the timing of just before the transfer window opens as well. RDZ wants to achieve the best results he can for us, that’s where he’s coming from. I absolutely agree he’s not happy with the result, I can’t say that he’s wrong regarding his diagnosis of fault, but I just don’t see this as a Poyet style strop, more frustration and a desire for more available tools in the toolkit. Remember that RDZ in the same interview also said that Baleba would be a great player in the Premier League, I’d be motivated to improve my positioning on hearing that, not sulking.

Spot on.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Didn't seem like a strop to me, he was pretty calm and mild mannered as he was speaking, and is somehow trying to equate the model to the mistakes being seen. He's Italian, so I bet there could be a right monumental hissy fit if needed. Disappointing the level of injury wasn't mentioned, but maybe he plays the squad he has at the time and expects premier league football no matter, which is one thing....Eitherway, it didn't give me the warm fuzzies...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
And he ain't gonna be happy when we get cheated out of points against Spurs next week either.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Didn’t seem happy at all
He often talks about understanding what a fan feels so probably overly disappointed in not winning a rivalry game

Didn’t blame Bart exclusively for the goal also pointed out Baleba wasn’t offering a 2nd option for the pass. He wants some experience, presumably 27-28 years old (with no resale value but the point being you get value for money during their contract)

Spikey overall and I feel how we back him in this window determines his own contract situation

Like Dahood? Being in the older/experienced age bracket is irrelevant if the player doesn't fit our style or isn't good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here