Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] that De Zerbi interview

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’m not as sure. We’ll sign players but I suspect they’ll all be investments. Many quite exciting investments maybe (Barco, Bhardji) but it feels like he wants some oven ready options as well and I’m not so sure he’ll get those
Yes. And/but Dahoud was (supposed to be) oven ready...and it's not clear how that's going to work out.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
2nd to last game before Christmas. Conceded through naiivity, the experience off the bench made all the difference. Of course he's going to get a little reminder in. I'm fine with it.
The one who made most difference was Buononotti - hardly 'experience off the bench

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I agree, his comments on Baleba made my heart drop. I can't see how we can blame the language barrier on that, I thought that was undermining and unprofessional to speak about players not being good enough. Strange times indeed...
Thats not actually what he said though. He didnt say not good enough. He said he is 2004, not prem league ready yet, will be a great player and needs match minutes

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
It was far from ideal to lose Mac and Caicedo in one window. The club probably planned to have Caicedo for another year before he went on strike. RDZ, unfortunately, has a squad with long term injuries. He doesn't have the luxury of picks he had say against Wolves, United or Newcastle at the beginning of the season. That team was blowing our minds, granted the EL hadnt started but still. I'd be surprised if the club didn't back him though, he's deserves it.

el punal

seemed very ticked off. kept referencing the ‘policy of the club’ when talking about recruitment.

some may say i’m reading too much into it, but that was almost poyet-esque. to me it was obvious he was unhappy. didn’t seem very happy at all that the caicedo replacement is so far from ready, and passingly referenced the fullback situation. i know ‘it’s not how we do things’, and i’m sure someone will be along in a minute to remind me of hereford or how we spent more than usual in the summer, but this is coming from the manager now. the choice seems to be that we get some more ready-made players in or forget about him signing a new deal.
Yes, I think you are reading too much into it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Thats not actually what he said though. He didnt say not good enough. He said he is 2004, not prem league ready yet, will be a great player and needs match minutes

He started that conversation saying this is the policy of the club to play with young players who make mistakes. Then he mentioned Baleba in the next sentence. I might be reading too much into it, but that to me suggests he thinks its not yet good enough. If I were Baleba this morning I'd be gutted.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Criticising "the policy of the club" in public is effectively criticising Mr Bloom.

Interesting career move for a man who has never won anything.
Possibly, but Blooms learning too. He is not immune to mistakes, hope he's learned from previous ones.

The issue he has here is that if he doesn't back de zerbi, not only will will fall from where we are but others won't be as excited at the prospect of managing us. They too will know that they will be expected to perform miracles continuously.

The right choice is to back him heavily, summer will be too late. Damage will have been done.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I just thought he looked a bit drained in that interview. It's been a long old season already. Could probably do with taking a few days off over Christmas with his family and recharging his batteries a bit
It was a shame in one interview (pre Palace) when asked about celebrating Xmas he said something like... I don't think about Xmas, I only think about Palace and the next games.
Very driven, too many espressos maybe 🎅

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
He started that conversation saying this is the policy of the club to play with young players who make mistakes. Then he mentioned Baleba in the next sentence. I might be reading too much into it, but that to me suggests he thinks its not yet good enough. If I were Baleba this morning I'd be gutted.
Again that isn't quite what he said. The quote was 'it is the policy of the club to play with many young players. With young players you meed to concede they need time and to make mistakes'. He used Baleba as an example because last night there were a few examples when he made mistakes.

At the end of the day its nowhere near the level of alan cork/david cameron territory or mark mcghee and inert/inept gate

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Possibly, but Blooms learning too. He is not immune to mistakes, hope he's learned from previous ones.

The issue he has here is that if he doesn't back de zerbi, not only will will fall from where we are but others won't be as excited at the prospect of managing us. They too will know that they will be expected to perform miracles continuously.

The right choice is to back him heavily, summer will be too late. Damage will have been done.
Or joining us as players

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's pretty clear that RDZ says what he thinks. It's also pretty clear that what he says can be misinterpreted and a mountain is made (by fans, the media, etc) out of what he (and other managers) say. It also doesn't help that English isn't his first language, so there are nuances that are either missed or read into too much.

IMO, he's hardly going to sign his own P45 by completely slating the club for selling off the family silver and replacing it with cheap plastic. Having said that, I'm sure there have been frank discussions about bringing players in, but none of what he said last night would've been a shock to Bloom and co.

Finally, let's face it, the 'club policy' has done pretty well. Top of the group and into the last 16 in the Europa League in the first season in the competition, and top half of a very competitive Premier League is to be applauded for a #TeamLikeBrighton

Having said all that, it's nailed on that TalkShite will spend a segment this morning dissecting what he said and how he shouldn't speak out of turn about the manager and club :tosser:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst every chance they will come good more of a concern is how many mistakes our £20m keeper has made and to spend nearly £30m on a midfielder that at this stage is deemed still not good enough at this stage is not good. I assume De zerbi gave the final ok on these. Very unlike us to spend £30m on a player and a club of our size if we do again I am sure Bloom would expect them to be PL ready.
Kudos would have been a great signinbg even at £40m but if WH were offering him say double thge wages it was never goinbg to happen.
I still think there are outstanding players in the championship for £10/15m

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Again that isn't quite what he said. The quote was 'it is the policy of the club to play with many young players. With young players you meed to concede they need time and to make mistakes'. He used Baleba as an example because last night there were a few examples when he made mistakes.

At the end of the day its nowhere near the level of alan cork/david cameron territory or mark mcghee and inert/inept gate

Not sure what you're discussing now as you've just agreed he said Baleba made mistakes, my point entirely. :shrug:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
One negative is Bloom is always reluctant to buy players in January but positive is we have never been seen higher as a club for a player to join

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I’ve got to that point with managers that if they go they go, nothing we can do about it. I then just hope (like the sad arse I am) they fail at the next club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here