Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] that De Zerbi interview

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were ridiculously naive not signing a full back or two in the summer as many threads on this site highlighted but he needs to wind his neck in a bit.

He was otherwise backed very well in the summer by the best in the business and for the majority of games this season we’ve been able to put out a strong 11, certainly strong enough to have kept at least one clean sheet in the league in that time.
We had Estupinan, Veltman, and March in the summer who are all injured now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Didn’t seem happy at all
He often talks about understanding what a fan feels so probably overly disappointed in not winning a rivalry game

Didn’t blame Bart exclusively for the goal also pointed out Baleba wasn’t offering a 2nd option for the pass. He wants some experience, presumably 27-28 years old (with no resale value but the point being you get value for money during their contract)

Spikey overall and I feel how we back him in this window determines his own contract situation.

Hmmmm he wasn't very happy. Can see him walking if not backed
He's pissed off like the rest of us.
He is allowed to show this.
The club has never been in this position before, doing well in the PL last season, then this season injuries, Europe and playing fairly well, whilst staying at a position which is ok.
The club is making history everyday, it's brilliant.

Hmmmm he wasn't very happy. Can see him walking if not backed
With all the injuries which we've been a bit unlucky with along with Newcastle, what more can the club do. Unless we can get a couple of loans in I can't see Bloom going all out to keep Roberto happy. We don't buy big in January, that's a fact. Roberto having a pop at club (if that's what it was) ain't going to make our model suddenly change. We've dropped points against teams we should of beaten but so have the likes of Liverpool and City. As much as I love RDZ he won't change the policy of the club.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Well I’m going against the grain here so I’m sure my comments will not be liked very much (ducks head) - However, IMO some of the comments about his interview are a bit harsh:

RDZ has come under constant criticism from some fans because of his line ups/ rotation and use of young players despite it being pointed out ad nauseam that this is the only way we’ve been able to manage a packed schedule, fatigue issues (and possibly consequential injuries) and we are a club that uses young players. With injuries of key players like March and Pervis and the absolute need to bed in young players who can’t even manage a whole match yet, he’s had to rotate. He has also been blamed for not signing players (when it is not even up to him). Yes, he’s obviously frustrated - we all are - we have had an unprecedented level of injuries and now Mitoma’s injured too - but he’s in the front line for the media wanting to ask ‘why we are not winning/conceding so many goals’. That needs a response. His response was honest and fair.

Put Barber or Bloom in front of the cameras and explain that it is not our policy to replace players we sell with £50-100 million pound replacements but with youngsters who will make mistakes. I’m sure they will also be frustrated that this is the nature of premier league football - and will no doubt say how difficult it is for smaller clubs to challenge for top 7/8 places. We spent money in the summer and we will probably spend some in January but it’s not just about the money - we are now scouting players that are also being looked at by bigger clubs - we can’t always compete at that level in the transfer market so have lost out on players we were trying to sign - we are even competing against the registered clubs of those players as they get offered better inducements not to move. RDZ is having to explain to the media what is our club policy - and yes, scouting/buying in young players and developing them then selling them on for great profit is the SECRET of our success.

As for his comments about Baleba - one of the key skills needed in that pivot position is to be in the right space at the right time for the GK to play out - he wasn’t and we conceded a goal. He hasn’t impressed me much in recent matches, nor has Igor, Dahoud or Adingra - in fact nor has Ferguson, Lallana or Milner. The youngsters are still young, the older ones getting left behind and everyone in between is getting injured or just knackered - but that’s what it is. It is not the first time RDZ has said a player is not playing well or isn’t at the level he needs them to be - he is a perfectionist and also knows how to improve players if they can be improved.

We are constantly saying we need players - RDZ is simply being honest about out the weaknesses in his side and we all know what they are anyway. He has also said frequently we need players too but also accepts the buying policy of the club.

I can’t see TB or PB changing our longterm sustainable management plan for the Club not when we already ‘owe’ TB something like £400m - it’s what allows us to compete at the level we are competing at both in Europe and in the EPL without having millions at our ready disposal - that, and the bloody great balls of our manager.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Just watched it and nothing particularly bad at all, except maybe a bit too honest re Baleba but even then think he’s just saying these kids have to play to improve. However, if RDZ decides our approach doesn’t work for him then we may part ways in the summer. We are now an attractive proposition in world football and we will attract plenty of class managers.

Nicks

Well I’m going against the grain here so I’m sure my comments will not be liked very much (ducks head) - However, IMO some of the comments about his interview are a bit harsh:

RDZ has come under constant criticism from some fans because of his line ups/ rotation and use of young players despite it being pointed out ad nauseam that this is the only way we’ve been able to manage a packed schedule, fatigue issues (and possibly consequential injuries) and we are a club that uses young players. With injuries of key players like March and Pervis and the absolute need to bed in young players who can’t even manage a whole match yet, he’s had to rotate. He has also been blamed for not signing players (when it is not even up to him). Yes, he’s obviously frustrated - we all are - we have had an unprecedented level of injuries and now Mitoma’s injured too - but he’s in the front line for the media wanting to ask ‘why we are not winning/conceding so many goals’. That needs a response. His response was honest and fair.

Put Barber or Bloom in front of the cameras and explain that it is not our policy to replace players we sell with £50-100 million pound replacements but with youngsters who will make mistakes. I’m sure they will also be frustrated that this is the nature of premier league football - and will no doubt say how difficult it is for smaller clubs to challenge for top 7/8 places. We spent money in the summer and we will probably spend some in January but it’s not just about the money - we are now scouting players that are also being looked at by bigger clubs - we can’t always compete at that level in the transfer market so have lost out on players we were trying to sign - we are even competing against the registered clubs of those players as they get offered better inducements not to move. RDZ is having to explain to the media what is our club policy - and yes, scouting/buying in young players and developing them then selling them on for great profit is the SECRET of our success.

As for his comments about Baleba - one of the key skills needed in that pivot position is to be in the right space at the right time for the GK to play out - he wasn’t and we conceded a goal. He hasn’t impressed me much in recent matches, nor has Igor, Dahoud or Adingra - in fact nor has Ferguson, Lallana or Milner. The youngsters are still young, the older ones getting left behind and everyone in between is getting injured or just knackered - but that’s what it is. It is not the first time RDZ has said a player is not playing well or isn’t at the level he needs them to be - he is a perfectionist and also knows how to improve players if they can be improved.

We are constantly saying we need players - RDZ is simply being honest about out the weaknesses in his side and we all know what they are anyway. He has also said frequently we need players too but also accepts the buying policy of the club.

I can’t see TB or PB changing our longterm sustainable management plan for the Club not when we already ‘owe’ TB something like £400m - it’s what allows us to compete at the level we are competing at both in Europe and in the EPL without having millions at our ready disposal - that, and the bloody great balls of our manager.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but you let yourself down by saying your not impressed with IGOR !!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thank you I think -’🙂 I’m not trying to impress anyone so don’t think I am ‘letting myself down’ it’s just a personal opinion that you don’t share which is fair enough . Igor is still learning the role - he’s no replacement for Pervis and doesn’t give Mitoma the back up he needs since he doesn’t have the confidence to play high. But he has bulk and an aggressive attitude on his side. He’s still bedding into the side,
The tactics are different now we have had to adapt to basically playing a three at the back. Igor isn’t expected to try and get on the overlap with Mitoma.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It was very obvious we were short at full back before the season started. Laughable to have a position we have one out and out option - particularly with the extra European games. I’m not surprised if he’s irritated at that.

Everywhere else though we probably were covered. We’ve just had a ridiculous run of injuries which must be frustrating. I guess one more holding midfielder might have been helpful but if we didn’t have the full back issue we could have deployed Milner/Gross/Hinshelwood in that position more.

The damage to a degree has already been done. We’ve probably dropped 5-10 points we didn’t need to against some real dross.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He’s just frustrated as all his best options and experienced players are disappearing week on week (Mitoma leaving on crutches last night being the latest). He is highly ambitious and at the moment is patching a side made up of kids and players who have not been able to have a rest.

I read it as I am doing my best here but need a bit of help from the men upstairs in January which is what most of us are feeling

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We were always 2 full back short , when the season started
we have lost 3 very good midfielders, Mac , MC and Enoch M , in the last year and we have brought in Dahoud and CB
with all the injuries no wonder RDZ is getting frustrated

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Criticising "the policy of the club" in public is effectively criticising Mr Bloom.

Interesting career move for a man who has never won anything.
Is he criticising the policy of the club? Didn't sound like that to me

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Which is why we need and needed cover. To go into a season with one recognised right back and left back was asking for trouble. Playing players out of position just weakens the team elsewhere.
We also had Lamptey, Gross, Milner, Igor as cover and youngsters. Is it reasonable use of limited budget to mitigate that nearly all will be injured. And how to we persuade a player good enough to join who will know they're only back up?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unlike Bissouma and Caicedo who clearly had some real quality from day 1, Baleba looks very suspect. A lot of money to spend on someone with 6 starts in Ligue Un.
Did they? Biss came in and ran around a lot and didn’t nail down a place for a while and Caicedo only got his break after a while.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Thought he was quite restrained about Baleba . After that performance he could of said a lot more

As for the rest of it . Nothing too outrageous really .

Can see us spending big but wages and other teams wanting always going to mean we lose a lot of targets

Full back situations our own fault .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here