Teixeria

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yet the team only started with 2 newbies, both of whom were pretty much identical, like for like, replacements.

So basically we've sat (quietly) through 4 years of, 'look at me', overthinking, management and coaching, to evolve right back to square one, Goldstone football.

its almost as if you are saying we have a manager who knows what he is doing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I believe it's quite rare that young loanee players go to the same club twice unless the second loan has a purchase option at the end. Premier League clubs are eager for their loaned out players to get different experiences so sending a player to the same club is not ideal. Bamford is a good example; having played for a progressive, exciting, attacking team; Jose was keen to get him playing in a dull defensive team (like Chelsea) and then a counter attacking team with appalling facilities. Anyone got examples of loan players returning to clubs the following year?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
But he's not the 'little one' striker.

The team needs cover for Baldock, so assuming the dev squad has nobody yet, the club need to buy (loan) a Baldock striker.
Why over complicate things?

I agree we still need another up front, but Tex is the type of player that can turn a game with something out of the ordinary, clearly not the finished article otherwise he wouldn't be linked with us. I don't think he'd start for us at the moment if we play 4-4-2 but he'll get more game time with us rather than sitting in Liverpool reserves, and we won't play same system every week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Having watched possibly the first ever match at the AMEX, where the entire team were played in their correct position, in a formation that suited those positions.

Why are people so desperate to shoe horn Tex into the team anywhere, just to have him.
Haven't you seen enough mix & match performances to know it just doesn't work?

On Friday we played as a team, one unit with defined roles, and it looked so much better for it.
That also applies to the 4-5-1 squad that came on to see out the game.

Are we only ever playing those eleven players in that system? For the past four years people have been crying out for a plan b. Do we not need that anymore?

On friday night people looked at that team and said "decent line up, but that bench is weak. There aren't any game changers on there".

Yeah, we won on friday. We played 442, and had two wingers and everything. But we were playing a poor Forest side who squandered plenty of decent opportunities. If we face teams like that evey week, fantastic! But I think that is incredibly unlikely. We also had an in form Lualua for that game. He has a history of incosistency, without his performance on Friday, would 442, two wingers have worked so well? If history is anything to go by, we won't have his performance that often.

We need options, we need variety, we need strength in depth. Teixeira would help with all of these. It isn't about shoe horning him into that particular line up.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What would you call Bozza's post then? If it's not a rumour, what is it?

I wasn't very convinced by the term 'not out of the question'. It means that the club haven't ruled it out, but it could be well down their list of options.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
#17 shirt still free, and we've not replaced Tex, Kemy or the McCourt/Ledesma/Carayol winger yet.

3 midfielders / wingers to come in if we are replacing all departures.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We need a right and left winger for sure and a centre back.

Don't need tex on loan, maybe for two months until harper is fit.

Also would like to get rid off colunga and COG and bring in a striker.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yet the team only started with 2 newbies, both of whom were pretty much identical, like for like, replacements.

So basically we've sat (quietly) through 4 years of, 'look at me', overthinking, management and coaching, to evolve right back to square one, Goldstone football.

I really don't think we sat through the Gus era thinking WTF is going on, It was sublime football at times. One of the best things we did Friday night was get in front and shut up shop. something we did very well time and time again under Gus. So 4 years of look at me overthinking management is a little silly.

However 4-4-2 on friday did feel right, however the 4-5-1 that finished the game also worked. I think the key is having different options a plan A and a plan B. This in my opinion is what we lacked under previous managers.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Are we only ever playing those eleven players in that system? For the past four years people have been crying out for a plan b. Do we not need that anymore?

On friday night people looked at that team and said "decent line up, but that bench is weak. There aren't any game changers on there".

Yeah, we won on friday. We played 442, and had two wingers and everything. But we were playing a poor Forest side who squandered plenty of decent opportunities. If we face teams like that evey week, fantastic! But I think that is incredibly unlikely. We also had an in form Lualua for that game. He has a history of incosistency, without his performance on Friday, would 442, two wingers have worked so well? If history is anything to go by, we won't have his performance that often.

We need options, we need variety, we need strength in depth. Teixeira would help with all of these. It isn't about shoe horning him into that particular line up.

I couldnt agree more.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
#17 shirt still free, and we've not replaced Tex, Kemy or the McCourt/Ledesma/Carayol winger yet.

I'd rather have a smaller higher quality squad. I'd be happy with just one more winger/tex role for that area.

We had a ridiculous number of midfielders last year.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

We don't need to replace Kemy, he was never really here.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wingers are notoriously injury prone, so 2 new wingers are top priority, whether we get Tex or not.

With 5 rumoured target signings, we can get Tex and 2 wingers - it's not either / or.

You're right but quality costs. I'm not convinced we can afford to buy two first team ready wingers, an attacking midfielder, a centre forward and a centre half. If we want to have a genuine go at making the top six then that's what we need. It'll cost an awful lot of money to get the quality options we need in those positions so I'm working on the assumption that we'll get the bulk of the squad in place this year then refine it for a genuine promotion push next season. That being the case Tex's ability to fill two of those slots(ACM and playing off the striker) allows us to spend more of our budget on getting a first choice winger like Marshall in. The fourth winger spot will be taken by Harper once he's fit and up to speed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You're right but quality costs. I'm not convinced we can afford to buy two first team ready wingers, an attacking midfielder, a centre forward and a centre half. If we want to have a genuine go at making the top six then that's what we need. It'll cost an awful lot of money to get the quality options we need in those positions so I'm working on the assumption that we'll get the bulk of the squad in place this year then refine it for a genuine promotion push next season. That being the case Tex's ability to fill two of those slots(ACM and playing off the striker) allows us to spend more of our budget on getting a first choice winger like Marshall in. The fourth winger spot will be taken by Harper once he's fit and up to speed.

No disagreement with any of the views expressed here but just to point out that Harper really isn't a winger but is rather a "No 10" more likely to compete with Baldock playing off Hemed than elsewhere.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
On the basis that some of Rodgers decision making is bizarre, you just never know.
I don't think it'd be that bizarre for Rogers to overlook Tex when you consider some of the attacking/midfield talent that Liverpool have already - and they're rumoured to be bringing in more this month. I can't see that Tex will have much chance of first team football, other than in the League Cup, and he may not make their 25 man squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports