tex seemed comfortable with.So probably more of a baldock competition
than the wide competition we need .As ever thou the question is what
options do we actually have?He did have much more impact last year than
colunga who I guess is the direct competition for baldock now

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'll do his job for half the money:bigwave:
I'll do it for 10% of his salary. Playing 6 games a season in which you repeatedly lose possession by pinging needless Hollywood diags into Row L, and then post a picture on instagram wearing a stupid hat?

That's certainly in my locker, and I'll happily do it for c50k a year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are we only ever playing those eleven players in that system? For the past four years people have been crying out for a plan b. Do we not need that anymore?

On friday night people looked at that team and said "decent line up, but that bench is weak. There aren't any game changers on there".

Yeah, we won on friday. We played 442, and had two wingers and everything. But we were playing a poor Forest side who squandered plenty of decent opportunities. If we face teams like that evey week, fantastic! But I think that is incredibly unlikely. We also had an in form Lualua for that game. He has a history of incosistency, without his performance on Friday, would 442, two wingers have worked so well? If history is anything to go by, we won't have his performance that often.

We need options, we need variety, we need strength in depth. Teixeira would help with all of these. It isn't about shoe horning him into that particular line up.

I'm not saying 'oh good we won, so everything is now ok'.

The team badly needs strengthening, assuming 4-4-2 is CH's default setting then he still needs to bolster the final third, with like for like replacements.
Tex just doesn't fit into that formation.

Clearly Hughton wants some fluidity within that having gone for 4-5-1 to see out the game, it's hardly rocket science to think he'll want 4-3-3 if chasing the game.

But all the time there's glaring shortfalls within the first XI squad and we're told money doesn't grow on tree, the club should be backing CH's plans with the correct replacements needed.
Not trying to make an attacking midfielder a winger or striker, just because he played really well in a few games, last season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not saying 'oh good we won, so everything is now ok'.

The team badly needs strengthening, assuming 4-4-2 is CH's default setting then he still needs to bolster the final third, with like for like replacements.
Tex just doesn't fit into that formation.

Clearly Hughton wants some fluidity within that having gone for 4-5-1 to see out the game, it's hardly rocket science to think he'll want 4-3-3 if chasing the game.

But all the time there's glaring shortfalls within the first XI squad and we're told money doesn't grow on tree, the club should be backing CH's plans with the correct replacements needed.
Not trying to make an attacking midfielder a winger or striker, just because he played really well in a few games, last season.

But for most fans who want him back, it's not about changing Teixeira's position. A few people have suggested that as an answer to your restrictive 'where would he fit in friday's team?' question. My point is, he wouldn't.

As you say, if 442 is Hughton's preferred line up, he will still want to change it up. If your starting 11 are picked for a 442, and you want the option to switch things up, you need players who will thrive in the new system, too, not just a first 11 for 442, and the rest of the squad made up of players to play 442. You want players in the squad who will make that change to 433 work. Or if Hughton sees fit 4132 or 41212 or whatever crazy variation he thinks will work.

That is where Teixeira comes in. He would be needed when Hughton wants to change that system for one in which Teixeira would provide his best.

And that might be more frequently than one can assume from the fact we won on Friday with a 442 that contains a historically inconsistent Lualua and was against a poor team.

The idea that we don't have a lot of money is why people are looking at loan options. They (rightly or wrongly) assume a loan would be a cheap option, saving us money that can be put toward other needed players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
But for most fans who want him back, it's not about changing Teixeira's position. A few people have suggested that as an answer to your restrictive 'where would he fit in friday's team?' question. My point is, he wouldn't.

As you say, if 442 is Hughton's preferred line up, he will still want to change it up. If your starting 11 are picked for a 442, and you want the option to switch things up, you need players who will thrive in the new system, too, not just a first 11 for 442, and the rest of the squad made up of players to play 442. You want players in the squad who will make that change to 433 work. Or if Hughton sees fit 4132 or 41212 or whatever crazy variation he thinks will work.

That is where Teixeira comes in. He would be needed when Hughton wants to change that system for one in which Teixeira would provide his best.

And that might be more frequently than one can assume from the fact we won on Friday with a 442 that contains a historically inconsistent Lualua and was against a poor team.

The idea that we don't have a lot of money is why people are looking at loan options. They (rightly or wrongly) assume a loan would be a cheap option, saving us money that can be put toward other needed players.
I wouldn't exactly call Forest a poor side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't exactly call Forest a poor side.

Historically not, no, but on Friday they were poor. Maybe it was the injuries, or an FFP weakened side, or a bad day at the office, but for whatever reason they were not that good, and I expect most teams to be significantly better than them this season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Historically not, no, but on Friday they were poor. Maybe it was the injuries, or an FFP weakened side, or a bad day at the office, but for whatever reason they were not that good, and I expect most teams to be significantly better than them this season.

I think we made them look poor. Bong had Antonio competely in his pocket.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Or maybe our tactics simply nullified everything they tried to do. I'd say they were standard Championship fare, we beat them and were largely untroubled by them. It bodes well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or maybe our tactics simply nullified everything they tried to do. I'd say they were standard Championship fare, we beat them and were largely untroubled by them. It bodes well.
Which is why I'm saying the team doesn't need Teixeria back, or at least doesn't need him all the while there are gaping holes in the squad for the formation that, as you say, looked largely untroubled.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Which is why I'm saying the team doesn't need Teixeria back, or at least doesn't need him all the while there are gaping holes in the squad for the formation that, as you say, looked largely untroubled.
I agree. He's a good player, but he's not what we need at the moment.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we made them look poor. Bong had Antonio competely in his pocket.

Didn't Antonio play most of the game on their left wing though? Did he start off on the right?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stephens and Kayal stopped Lansbury playing that was another big plus.

Angela not wanting to jeopardize a lucrative transfer would have made that considerably easier.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

If their performance on Friday is standard champion fare, the division is a lot weaker than last season and we might as well start looking at travel to Manchester, and which tubes to get from stamford bridge to avoid racist attacks.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here