Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technology we were blown away by and owned in the 80's

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
casio-databank-calculator-mens-watch-ca53w-41.jpg

The Casio calculator watch.

One of my mates had one when I was in 4th year of junior school, I was amazed by the technology and the game you could play on it. I cannot remember how the game worked but it was something to do with shooting down numbers and was very addictive.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
View attachment 50862

The Casio calculator watch.

One of my mates had one when I was in 4th year of junior school, I was amazed by the technology and the game you could play on it. I cannot remember how the game worked but it was something to do with shooting down numbers and was very addictive.

I used to have a calculator watch, I was the ENVY of all my friends. As well as the calculator it could show the time in other countries, MIND BLOWING.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bit of a blast from the '80s past....

Did anyone have a pen or ruler that could tell the time? :)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bit of a blast from the '80s past....

Did anyone have a pen or ruler that could tell the time? :)

Yeah! Had a ruler with a clock and a calculator in it when I was about 6 or 7. I used to think it was the kind of ruler Michael Knight would have used. As I imagine he used a ruler quite a lot.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Super VGA graphics on a Pc game (1989/90ish?)
Didn't see that until about 1995 myself but not sure how long it had been around beforehand.

Also, I had one of those scientific calculators with the touch sensitive keys on the inside of the covering flap (also Casio). Loved it but, as with so much electronic stuff I had when I was young, I took it to pieces in the end to see how it worked and then it didn't :)

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My first computer. The great thing about the Atari 400, was the ROM cartridges which meant that games were loaded instantly, rather than waiting for a tape...

The not so great thing was the keyboard was probably the worse thing ever put into production for typing.

Atari-400-Comp.jpg

View attachment 50871

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I often wonder with design of things why couldn't they make cool shit before about '99? why are the ideas we have for design now not thought of in the 80's? I mean that Atari above couldn't have looked good to someone in the 80's surely? I know the stuff we use today will be dated too one day.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I often wonder with design of things why couldn't they make cool shit before about '99? why are the ideas we have for design now not thought of in the 80's? I mean that Atari above couldn't have looked good to someone in the 80's surely? I know the stuff we use today will be dated too one day.

Are you joking? I thought I was Chekov at the controls of the Enterprise when I got that Atari 400 badboy in 1982!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What is it with Posting images on here - it's really very hit and miss?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Nope - basic upoloader doesn't work either - I give up. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - any idea why photos don't work?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Those keyrings that beeped when you whistled at them. They blew my mind....and got me and a few mates detention at school for setting them off in class.

I think these little gadgets may have come with sound effects for explosions, lasers etc. AMAZING!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here