Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technology we were blown away by and owned in the 80's

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Video Machine - anyone who had taped The Young Ones became an instant friend for life.
CD Player - bought one of those for myself for my 21st birthday.
Microwave oven - reheating your Mum's home cooked dinner in 30 seconds.
Walkman - excellent for avoiding the fights at the football and in Brighton on a Friday night.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Always a devastating moment when that happened. I found this on youtube, he's trying to load Pole Position, I used to have that game!

[yt]YZVOYVv6wPo[/yt]

Yes that was bloody annoying.
The young Uns of today don't know they're born these days

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Does Computer Battleships count?

My brother had that. I never got one of course, because girls didn't get computery presents back then. I probably got given a Crystal Barbie or something instead.

I still have one in full working order... Computer Battleships that is, not a Barbie!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
We used to love this little beauty as kids

Kenwood-Sodastream-1978-001.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes that was bloody annoying.
The young Uns of today don't know they're born these days

But they will never know the joy of playing manic miner after trying to load it 20 times and moving the volume control a fraction of an millimeter on the tape deck (ON THE TAPEDECK!!!!) each time to get exactly the right volume.

They just stick games in and they work.... Where is the fun in that?

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
I remember the first video player we had. Not only could it tape things but it also had a remote control.
Only trouble was it had a lead attatched which went across the whole room.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Also in 1976 I paid nearly £30 for one of these :
fx102.jpg

As for the C64, I threw one away last month but I've still got an Atari ST :

Atari_520STfm.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Amiga_600.jpg

OK I was using it in the mid 90's but I'm running with it anyway.

Used to play Monkey Island, Sensible World of Soccer and Prince of Persia none stop on this bad boy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was going through a box of stuff at the weekend and discovered my Sony Walkman, I should put some batteries in it and so if it's still working.

And this

CPC6128_08.jpg

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Fax machines. Can remember being gob smacked when I first saw one sitting on the bosses desk. Couldn't believe that you could put a piece of paper into it and it popped out again, in seconds, halfway around the world. Soon using it all the time.

Had one at home a few years later and my mum could not understand how the letter I put in arrived in Singapore looking the same. I could not convince her it was not the same piece of paper but electronic. She thought the actual paper went down the cable.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Fax machines. Can remember being gob smacked when I first saw one sitting on the bosses desk. Couldn't believe that you could put a piece of paper into it and it popped out again, in seconds, halfway around the world. Soon using it all the time.

Had one at home a few years later and my mum could not understand how the letter I put in arrived in Singapore looking the same. I could not convince her it was not the same piece of paper but electronic. She thought the actual paper went down the cable.

I worked with a woman who wanted to fax a rude cartoon to her husband but was worried that the wrong person might see it. We convinced her to fax it in an envelope.

Also,we used to get spam faxes and a favourite trick was,after work to get a 1 metre long bit of paper off the fax roll, draw a big XXXX on it and fax it to the spammer, but, when the start of it came out, tape it to the end creating a loop. That way the fax keeps sending till the one at the other end runs out of paper. Spammer comes in in the morning to find all his paper wasted.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd proudly wear that today. that's pretty bloody snappy actually.

I remember having one of these - it was space age, completely brilliant. But I also remember you had to press a button on the side to display the time which, on reflection, was pretty stupid...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We didn't have much tech in our house but I remember one Christmas. Yes, CHRISTMAS, being given a scientific calculator to use for my GCSE's. I never figured out how to use it and the school didn't let you use them anyway. And it was a ****ing calculator. For Christmas. I think I spelled boobs on it, chucked it in a drawer and went out to build a snowman. Worst ****ing present I've ever been given.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here