Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Technology we were blown away by and owned in the 80's

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kevlar, Mylar and Carbon fiber, materials used in sails, rope and boat building. ( Before they were all used in racing car builds.) Throw in the Decca system followed by GPS systems as the 80's progressed, so that at sea you new exactly where you were on the earths surface.

Think you'll find all designed for the aerospace industry firstly

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a monster ghetto blaster, top bit of kit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I won one of these in a competition once. Don't think I ever actually bought any games for it, only played the Alex Kidd (?) one it came with. Then flogged it to the neighbours' kids.

Ms2box1.png

We meta family from Seattle on holiday and the husband and his son had an eBay business buying and selling games for this. He was making decent money at it too.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I thought my Amiga 500 was the dogs bollocks at the time

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh my forgotten about the Psion great bit of kit almost bullet proof if I remember correctly the company went bust after failing to develop the Psion

I have a Psion 5 - still works.

For me, the Handspring Visor was the first gadget I truly found fantastic. Touchscreen, with a calendar, address book, notepad and to-do list. Truly the future!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I bought a Betamax VCR in 1983 for £299 , the system was superior to VHS. VHS won the battle of the formats as all the people who couldn't afford to buy a VCR rented a machine from shops like Radio Rentals.

Interesting isn't it, but I'm no convinced Betamax was "better". Better in terms of picture quality, but held back by how cheaply it could be produced and more importantly the duration of video you could cram on the cassette.

Betacam obviously became the industry standard but the machines cost thousands and the tapes in different cassette sizes to accommodate the higher quality.

I think VHS "won" because it was better as a domestic format.

Oh, and we had a Betamax too. My brothers still got a few Albion games recorded on them.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I still have my one of these somewhere. Bullet proof. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391466854.300336.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does Computer Battleships count?

My brother had that. I never got one of course, because girls didn't get computery presents back then. I probably got given a Crystal Barbie or something instead.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here