Teacher Strike

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

Anyway, hospitals don't close for doctors to do training days, they arrange cover for those doing the training. Can't something similar be done?

If my suggesting of working the week before doesn't "work" then why not start the term a week LATER and use the 1st week for training days?

Unbelievable, you sir are a TWOT and are not worth any kind of conversation!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Inset days ARE school holidays so by definition they ALWAYS take place during school holidays.

Strange how my daughter had one this last term on a Monday DURING the term !

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Unbelievable, you sir are a TWOT and are not worth any kind of conversation!

The first comment was somewhat tongue in cheek/sarcastic as the original replier to my post mentioned.

The other two statements are simply questions, playing devils advocate etc. if you can't figure that out, Internet forums are not for you.

Resorting to name calling, well I'm not even going there, that's for the kids of the forum.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For those saying that teachers have such an easy life: why don't you just become teachers yourself if it appears so easy to you? There's nothing stopping anyone with a degree from doing a 1 year PCGE course.

Didn't say an easy life.

I believe they are well paid for the work that they do.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have no specific issue with GP's and am not informed enough to make a comment on their workload, but I would estimate that on average they earn at least double that of a class teacher.

Yep, me.

Both are very well paid for the work they do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair, I was you once.

Then my wife, went back to university earned her degree and now is a senior teacher has been for years.

Unless you know or are close to someone within the profession you will never really understand the workload, especially with the backdrop of seemingly generous annual holidays, its a pointless task trying to explain.

However there can be those within the profession that left school went to college then to uni and then straight in to teaching.

There is some argument that perhaps as is so often said they havent really experienced the issues that those of us within the private sector do and the insecurities that can bring, so its an understandable ignorance :)

It's rare that BigGully and I see eye to eye, but the man speaks the truth here.

My other half is a school head, I won't see her tomorrow as it is summer fair, Monday as Year 6 disco, Wednesday as governor's meeting and Thursday as PTA. That's far for course in the teaching profession. The kids are great, but the parents......

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I'm looking forward to teaching UK kids again, regardless of Gove, the new curriculum, strikes over pensions. Just need to get a teaching job.

Come back when Gove has left. First time in my 16 year career the teaching profession has been negative to be in and Joe Public, who believes everything that the Daily Mail tells them, is negative towards.

I don't believe strike action will make any difference other than give the government more ammunition to make the public mistrust teachers and their viewpoint. The point of the strike will be lost.

Why Tories seem to hate teachers so much I really don't know.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Poor lil underpaid, overworked teachers, I feel for them about as much as I do for GP's in the NHS, bless their little cotton socks.......

Oops, my mistake.......**** 'em!

Can't even reply to this shocking statement.

Consider your profession being completely abused due to propaganda from the government then by posters who believe what they read in Tory rags.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Hypocities the lot of them, I will only change my mind if somebody can justify why it is better to have a teachers training day the first school day after a holiday rather than the last day of that holiday

Are you one of those bellend parents?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

Not true.

Certainly in Cambridge children sit entrance exams and the best children are chosen for the top schools.

Class sizes are no more than 15 (usually 30 in state schools, in lucky to have 28 this year). Teacher pupil ratio is very important. If I have a smaller class the children achieve more, the pupils get more teacher time.

I could get a job in a private school and earn more money and have an easier career but that isn't the reason I teach. I went through the state school system and believe it can, and I can, make a difference.

Being abused by those who don't know the profession other than what they read or knew from their own experiences, it is quite hard to not respond.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just done a little research (I believe its called table top research these days) and it appears from various surveys that teachers "diary" hours have steadily been reducing over the last decade and now a secondary school teacher now works on average 50 hours per week including home working for their contracted weeks. The average secondary teacher's salary it appears is £35000 so 50hoursx39weeks/35000= £17.95/hours worked. That seems like a well paid job to me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302936/Now-teachers-demand-work-just-35-hours-week--want-allowed-home.html

If and I say if there's any truth in this report then it beggars belief.

Teachers generally are well qualified and one previous poster said to compare them with similar jobs necessitating such high qualifications perhaps they should, they'll find given the extra holidays etc teachers pay is very favourable.

Not an easy job, I know but there has to be a realisation that the average person out there is likely to be less well off, unlikely to have the job security, unlikely to have the (still) decent pension, and the holidays.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
1. Teachers are not paid competitively for the qualifications they have, or the expertise and professionalism expected of them. Sure, it's a decent living, but no more, and I'd advise anyone graduating from university who wants to make money on life to do anything BUT go into teaching. Someone above made a comparison to GP's which is laughable.

2. The holidays ain't bad, no doubt about it. But they equally aren't anywhere near 13 weeks either. Any teacher worth their salt works at LEAST a 6 day working week during term time, probably several extra hours each night and most of a whole day at weekends. So that's 39 days on top of the Mon-Fri 8-5 that you need to consider when you bleat on about 13 weeks holiday. Plus all but one bank holiday are in school holidays, whereas most people have them on top of annual leave. And yes, teachers do actually do a huge amount of work (planning,marking etc) during these holidays. Like I said, it certainly ain't bad but in reality you could argue it's not much more than a lot of jobs when you tot it all up.

3. Inset days are for the school staff to meet and to organise and prepare the service they provide, which wouldn't be possible if the kids were in. Personal training for teachers is mostly done in their own time.

No need to say anything more. Spot on post.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Just done a little research (I believe its called table top research these days) and it appears from various surveys that teachers "diary" hours have steadily been reducing over the last decade and now a secondary school teacher now works on average 50 hours per week including home working for their contracted weeks. The average secondary teacher's salary it appears is £35000 so 50hoursx39weeks/35000= £17.95/hours worked. That seems like a well paid job to me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2302936/Now-teachers-demand-work-just-35-hours-week--want-allowed-home.html

If and I say if there's any truth in this report then it beggars belief.

Teachers generally are well qualified and one previous poster said to compare them with similar jobs necessitating such high qualifications perhaps they should, they'll find given the extra holidays etc teachers pay is very favourable.

Not an easy job, I know but there has to be a realisation that the average person out there is likely to be less well off, unlikely to have the job security, unlikely to have the (still) decent pension, and the holidays.

It's from the Daily Mail. I need say nothing more.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The first comment was somewhat tongue in cheek/sarcastic as the original replier to my post mentioned.

The other two statements are simply questions, playing devils advocate etc. if you can't figure that out, Internet forums are not for you.

Resorting to name calling, well I'm not even going there, that's for the kids of the forum.

Muppet....can you point me in the right direction please...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports