Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Here we go again. I cannot be ****ing bothered to argue anymore. All I will say is I will support any teacher over that **** Gove any day of the week.

Poor lil underpaid, overworked teachers, I feel for them about as much as I do for GP's in the NHS, bless their little cotton socks.......

Oops, my mistake.......**** 'em!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think some are missing the OPs point here, he is saying that parents have just been notified that as of the new school term they will now be fined for taking their children out of school for unapproved absence, (£60 pounds per child I beleive but as usual with government comms its unclear), the justification for this was that children need to be taught everyday.

Now following this notification the teachers might strike which will be a contradiction of the reasons given to fine parents.

Is a very good point, but it isnt something teachers themselves have implemented or necessarily support.

The fining process is even more contentious, I am sure a couple will get fined twice as much as a single parent, or did I dream that ??

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think some are missing the OPs point here, he is saying that parents have just been notified that as of the new school term they will now be fined for taking their children out of school for unapproved absence, (£60 pounds per child I beleive but as usual with government comms its unclear), the justification for this was that children need to be taught everyday.

Now following this notification the teachers might strike which will be a contradiction of the reasons given to fine parents.

You really need it explained to you? Okay, here goes. The two scenarios are:

1) There is a day, planned in advance, where the teachers know that the entire class will not be present. The teachers can plan around this to ensure that the the right work is carried out for the class to catch up.

2) Random children go missing from class, one or maybe two at a time, at arbitrary intervals throughout the year. The teachers have no notice of this, no control over when it happens, and no slack in their schedule to bring the absentee children back up to speed when they return without impacting the rest of the class who have obeyed the rules and attended school as per their legal obligation.

Which one do you think is going to be more detrimental to individual children's progress through the year?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so... anyone know what the strike is over? says pay and conditions, is this just the usual union muscle flexing or a shit deal?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poor lil underpaid, overworked teachers, I feel for them about as much as I do for GP's in the NHS, bless their little cotton socks.......

With your attitude to teachers is no wonder things are a complete mess at present. But hey, let's give the MPs and extra 6k a year. And let's recruit a load of untrained soldiers; that will really work won't it.

PS did you not get the qualifications you wanted?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Hypocities the lot of them, I will only change my mind if somebody can justify why it is better to have a teachers training day the first school day after a holiday rather than the last day of that holiday

Because it's a holiday. Teachers get paid for a set amount of hours/days a year, they don't actually get paid for their holidays (they get money DURING the holiday because their annual salary is divided by 12 and paid in equal installments). Would YOU take unpaid leave during your holidays for compulsory training?

You really need it explained to you? Okay, here goes. The two scenarios are:

1) There is a day, planned in advance, where the teachers know that the entire class will not be present. The teachers can plan around this to ensure that the the right work is carried out for the class to catch up.

2) Random children go missing from class, one or maybe two at a time, at arbitrary intervals throughout the year. The teachers have no notice of this, no control over when it happens, and no slack in their schedule to bring the absentee children back up to speed when they return without impacting the rest of the class who have obeyed the rules and attended school as per their legal obligation.

Which one do you think is going to be more detrimental to individual children's progress through the year?

Saved me the bother. When teaching in the UK, I had parents expect me to stay after school to catch their kids up on coursework they missed whole they were on holiday. Parents asking why I couldn;t just reschedule the coursework around their holiday (a class of 32 kids, what would happen if they all had random holidays?)

The point is that, as you say, kids going on holiday when the rest are in school miss work the others have done and are disadvantaged as a result.

I'll happily stay after school and help kids catch up who were genuinely off sick, but I'll be damned if I'll do extra work for free becauser you choose to take your kid on holiday when they're supposed to be in school.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not one week after we get this regarding parents taking their kids out of school in term time from a head teacher:-

“We have systematic teaching that needs to be taught every single day. We have 13 weeks of holiday during which we don’t do it and if they miss a week the learning has moved on, meaning gaps in children’s learning.”

We get notice that teachers are to go on strike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23285445

To be fair the head teacher you have quoted is a **** and suffers with massive doses of double standards almost on a daily basis. I know this as my son is at her school unfortunately

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Cannot be bothered to argue this one but just a couple of points:

Edit - accidentally pushed post, will add my points now!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Which part of my statement do you think was sarcastic? :D pass results? better educated? better teachers? better system?

I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic, I truly can't. I'm just going to assume that you are, because it's better for the entire planet that way.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

Anyway, hospitals don't close for doctors to do training days, they arrange cover for those doing the training. Can't something similar be done?

If my suggesting of working the week before doesn't "work" then why not start the term a week LATER and use the 1st week for training days?

Or perhaps they generally teach brighter kids? Most private schools still have entrance exams therefore the teachers job is to realise the full potential of the kids. In state schools, you have a mixed level of ability, behavioural issues and a whole host of other problems that make it more difficult for the teacher to teach, and the kids that wish to learn, learn.

Similarly, Oxford and Cambridge University have the shortest term times of the Universities in the UK. They can achieve this because the calibre of student is higher and the level of study expected to be completed out of lectures is higher.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Because it's a holiday. Teachers get paid for a set amount of hours/days a year, they don't actually get paid for their holidays (they get money DURING the holiday because their annual salary is divided by 12 and paid in equal installments). Would YOU take unpaid leave during your holidays for compulsory training?

Of course they get paid for their holidays just like everybody else is legally entitled to paid holidays of 5.6 weeks a year. Its all part of their salary package. Again as I said is it fair that a low paid family may lose a days work because their child(ren) cannot attend school or alternatively have to spend a days wages on a child minder.

There were never treacher training days in the 80's and I believe children were educated better then.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For those saying that teachers have such an easy life: why don't you just become teachers yourself if it appears so easy to you? There's nothing stopping anyone with a degree from doing a 1 year PCGE course.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There were never treacher training days in the 80's and I believe children were educated better then.

Ever heard of something called a Baker day, I'm sure there was something else before that as well. I was at school in the 70's and 80's

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'd be more than happy to do this if I got 13 weeks holiday!! :D

Maybe that's what should happen, reduce their package to 12 weeks holiday. Use that extra 5 days for any training days necessary so it doesn't disrupt teaching the kids.

Please do your research before you start slagging off teachers. :ffsparr:

This is exactly what happened in the late 1980s when 'Baker Days' were introduced. Then teachers and children went to school for 190 days. Baker then made teachers' contracts 195 days, keeping children's schooling the same. I know you will probably find this difficult to understand, and if you do understand it - WELL DONE!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair, I was you once.

Then my wife, went back to university earned her degree and now is a senior teacher has been for years.

Unless you know or are close to someone within the profession you will never really understand the workload, especially with the backdrop of seemingly generous annual holidays, its a pointless task trying to explain.

However there can be those within the profession that left school went to college then to uni and then straight in to teaching.

There is some argument that perhaps as is so often said they havent really experienced the issues that those of us within the private sector do and the insecurities that can bring, so its an understandable ignorance :)

My ex-wife and my sister are both teachers and both are agreed that inset days should be during school holidays. Barring report time neither think they're overworked or under paid.

el punal

Hypocities the lot of them, I will only change my mind if somebody can justify why it is better to have a teachers training day the first school day after a holiday rather than the last day of that holiday

Have you ever been on a training course? If you have, was it on a week-end, or during the working week or during your annual leave?

By the way, my wife is a primary school teacher. Would you explain how and why she's a hypocrite.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
1. Teachers are not paid competitively for the qualifications they have, or the expertise and professionalism expected of them. Sure, it's a decent living, but no more, and I'd advise anyone graduating from university who wants to make money on life to do anything BUT go into teaching. Someone above made a comparison to GP's which is laughable.

2. The holidays ain't bad, no doubt about it. But they equally aren't anywhere near 13 weeks either. Any teacher worth their salt works at LEAST a 6 day working week during term time, probably several extra hours each night and most of a whole day at weekends. So that's 39 days on top of the Mon-Fri 8-5 that you need to consider when you bleat on about 13 weeks holiday. Plus all but one bank holiday are in school holidays, whereas most people have them on top of annual leave. And yes, teachers do actually do a huge amount of work (planning,marking etc) during these holidays. Like I said, it certainly ain't bad but in reality you could argue it's not much more than a lot of jobs when you tot it all up.

3. Inset days are for the school staff to meet and to organise and prepare the service they provide, which wouldn't be possible if the kids were in. Personal training for teachers is mostly done in their own time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here