Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

Anyway, hospitals don't close for doctors to do training days, they arrange cover for those doing the training. Can't something similar be done?

If my suggesting of working the week before doesn't "work" then why not start the term a week LATER and use the 1st week for training days?

idiot

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1. Teachers are not paid competitively for the qualifications they have, or the expertise and professionalism expected of them. Sure, it's a decent living, but no more, and I'd advise anyone graduating from university who wants to make money on life to do anything BUT go into teaching. Someone above made a comparison to GP's which is laughable.

2. The holidays ain't bad, no doubt about it. But they equally aren't anywhere near 13 weeks either. Any teacher worth their salt works at LEAST a 6 day working week during term time, probably several extra hours each night and most of a whole day at weekends. So that's 39 days on top of the Mon-Fri 8-5 that you need to consider when you bleat on about 13 weeks holiday. Plus all but one bank holiday are in school holidays, whereas most people have them on top of annual leave. And yes, teachers do actually do a huge amount of work (planning,marking etc) during these holidays. Like I said, it certainly ain't bad but in reality you could argue it's not much more than a lot of jobs when you tot it all up.

3. Inset days are for the school staff to meet and to organise and prepare the service they provide, which wouldn't be possible if the kids were in. Personal training for teachers is mostly done in their own time.

I'm sorry but this might be the case for SOME teachers but there are many where this absolutely isn't the case.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I can guarantee that very few schools will close due to union backed/encouraged strikes.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Please do your research before you start slagging off teachers. :ffsparr:

This is exactly what happened in the late 1980s when 'Baker Days' were introduced. Then teachers and children went to school for 190 days. Baker then made teachers' contracts 195 days, keeping children's schooling the same. I know you will probably find this difficult to understand, and if you do understand it - WELL DONE!

I was not slagging teachers off. Only those with a chop on their shoulder or high horse would think that. You're simply trying to turn it into one side versus another (divide and conquer methods maybe...). I've simply been asking questions and proposing ideas/solutions. Those ideas may be acceptable or not, agreeable by some or not but what they are NOT is "slagging off teachers"

On to the "Baker days" - does this still happen now? (i.e they are contracted 5 days more than pupil days). If not, then my point stands (extend working days or change/delay pupil start day). If it DOES still exist, then where's the problem, they have the days to do their training/whatever else etc.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
As 'Sidcup Seagull' says in England there are 190 student days - teachers are contracted to work 195 days - inset days do not reduce the number of student attendance days. Terms are dated around the teacher's contract days.

It makes sense that inset days be designated at the beginning or end of terms rather than in the middle of them which causes far more disruption.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My ex-wife and my sister are both teachers and both are agreed that inset days should be during school holidays. Barring report time neither think they're overworked or under paid.

I am not sure I said overworked or underpaid.

I do have to say that if the only time they feel 'overworked' is report time, then they are either very lucky or wonderfully efficient.

Report time is slightly laborious, but isnt the soul draining part that most teachers experience.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Have you ever been on a training course? If you have, was it on a week-end, or during the working week or during your annual leave?

By the way, my wife is a primary school teacher. Would you explain how and why she's a hypocrite.

See again and again its poor old teachers funny that nobody wants to comment on the hardship faced by the working parents, many of whom are poorly paid, hence why they have to work, who lose pay or are faced with additional childcare costs due to extended school closure periods for trainiung days.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm sorry but this might be the case for SOME teachers but there are many where this absolutely isn't the case.

Well, I don't want to offend anyone, but in my opinion anyone who is not doing that workload or something like it (at least in a full time job) is not making an effort to be a good or outstanding teacher, and therefore isn't really doing their job properly.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Don't get me started on GP's my god if there is an easy profession (once qualified) to earn a fortune its them

I have no specific issue with GP's and am not informed enough to make a comment on their workload, but I would estimate that on average they earn at least double that of a class teacher.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
There were never treacher training days in the 80's and I believe children were educated better then.

Teacher training days were introduced in the 1980s by Ken Baker as part of the National Curriculum so that statement is incorrect. There are five allowed during the year, often schools take one at the start of the academic year, one at the end of the academic year with three others spaced out throughout the rest. They are legally part of the Education Act which introduced the National Curriculum.

Last edited:

Here we go again. I cannot be ****ing bothered to argue anymore. All I will say is I will support any teacher over that **** Gove any day of the week.

Thanks HT, this is boring, I'm sure if we all worked in industries that had some support from unions we'd probably stand up and be counted rather than be known as a country of fickin' pointless moaners that achieve little because we don't stand up with one voice. I bet all are moaning that the mp's are getting a massif pay rice but moan about it is all we will do. So if you post on this thread then at least think about the passion that does go into the teaching of and the childrens' futures because if more parents did then same, maybe, just maybe we can build a better future for all. Teachers alike do not generally agree with Gove, so let's stop pointing the finger cos I don't remember any parent contacting me, thanking me for getting their child there GCSE's! So pick the bones out of that!!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
See again and again its poor old teachers funny that nobody wants to comment on the hardship faced by the working parents, many of whom are poorly paid, hence why they have to work, who lose pay or are faced with additional childcare costs due to extended school closure periods for trainiung days.

The pupils don't work any fewer days because of teacher training days - they have 190 schooldays a year as laid down by legislation - inset days do NOT reduce this number.

Of course it could be argued that that terms should be longer.

so... anyone know what the strike is over? says pay and conditions, is this just the usual union muscle flexing or a shit deal?

Read the article that the OP posted with, but let me tell you teachers don't aspire to strike ffs...and we don't all belong to the two unions assosiated with the strike.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

There are plenty of shocking teachers in private schools. Not having to deal with shocking kids would make any teacher's work more productive.

I supply occasionally in London schools, with one parent calling the school one day to say she couldn't get her daughter out of bed and could her form tutor have a word?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here