Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
well probably not. i read today numbers for a stirke ballot had NASUWT turnout of 40% and NUT turnout of 27%. 27%!!! doesnt strike me as a well supported cause by the grass roots teachers, just the militants.

but shirley you can see that there has been a minority, vocal and powerfull that have pushed an agenda? i think thats waned, but seems certainly was a problem in the past and contributed to the poor image teacher now have.

Back in the eighties the teachers definitely had a cause to strike and many many people had sympathy now however the majority of those in work are finding things very hard and had to take pay cuts, especially the self employed.

As far as the turnouts and only then about 80% in favour shows that approx. 75% of the union members couldn't be bothered to support the call to strike so you have to assume do not want to strike.

The law should be changed so a non vote is a no vote.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Oh do give it up you sad martyr. You entered teaching because you enjoy not having the pressure of real life, enjoying good wages, long holidays and the plaudits of being a teacher. Now the public sector is shrinking, and jobs for life, easy promotions, final salary pensions are going up in smoke. Welcome to the world of everyone else.

Some sink, some float and some get ahead. Strikers? Finished.

No, like many I left a much higher paid job in business because I wanted to do something more worthwhile. This may make me a sad martyr, but your bigoted opinion is based on nothing. Everything that you have written is so laughable.

Plaudits of being a teacher? Not while people like you shout the loudest. Strangely, though, the parents of the children that I teach have nothing but positivity towards me.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
As they are all working so hard during the school holidays then they can all strike during the following:-

6 weeks off school break in the summer, 1 week half term break, 2 week Christmas break, next 1 week half term, 2 weeks Easter break, next 1 week half term. All irrelevant anyway, soon schools will all be competing with each other and the good schools will thrive, the bad will be out of business, and then standards will rise as the school will be run for the children /parents, not the staff, just like every other non public sector

Oh dear!

Feb 14, 2010
Pogue Mahone, if cant see that English education is failing English kids then the standards you set are lower than mine. Things have to change as one day in Canary Wharf will teach you.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No, like some, I left a much higher paid job in business because I wanted to do something less pressurised for an easier life and a gold plated pension.

Corrected for you (with a dose of reality).

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Pogue Mahone. You misunderstand completely. I dont care what you get paid, or what holidays you take. You as the teacher are not important, the children and their standard of education is. The fact is that the current standard of education of working class kids in this country is simply a disgrace and working class kids had a better chance in the 1950's than now. Education needs root and branch reform (as do the police and fire service), the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays and they show the public sector protectionist self interest that is oh so transparent. Our kids now have to compete in London for the best jobs with international kids, a rising very well educated Asian workforce, as well as a very hungry Eastern European workforce who speak at least 2 languages. English kids, well they are just not cutting it, so change or fail.

How have you achieved this perception of education ? Could you enlighten me as to how education was better in the 1950's?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The "Asian" workforce I was talking about is "Asian" in the global context i.e. Chinese, and no mate they are not educated at an English school. The fact that you cannot see that English kids are far and away lagging behind the international education race just goes to show how little you know or how far the teaching professions head is in the sand. Just go to Canary Wharf on a week day and look around. Less and less English kids in fact I would say less than 25% of the good jobs are English workers. Our kids mate are lagging far, far behind. Education has to and will change so wave your placard all you want, your days are numbered because they have to be.

My days are not numbered. My school is judged as 'Good, with outstanding features" and mysterious teaching, under one of the most stringent Performance Management regimes there is, is always judged as 'Good' or 'Outstanding'.

I will continue to work hard to better the lot of our children. You, however, will keep slagging me off.

Feb 14, 2010
How have you achieved this perception of education ? Could you enlighten me as to how education was better in the 1950's?

Social mobility for working class kids in the 1950's was greater. True less went to university but if working class you could get to university if bright as there was selection. Agree if you sa there are many factors that go to social mobility. Bottom line is that you just look at English kids then compare them to Eastern European (at least 2 languages plus a sense of maturity), Asian kids (at least 2 languages, and very well educated) and you just look at the workforce of Canary Wharf. There is a new international class that has developed, the current educational product is failing English kids in a more competitive worlf. If you cant see that then you are blind or you have never worked in London. Education will change, and for the better with better standards, or the future for English kids is very, very bleak.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Social mobility for working class kids in the 1950's was greater. True less went to university but if working class you could get to university if bright as there was selection. Agree if you sa there are many factors that go to social mobility. Bottom line is that you just look at English kids then compare them to Eastern European (at least 2 languages plus a sense of maturity), Asian kids (at least 2 languages, and very well educated) and you just look at the workforce of Canary Wharf. There is a new international class that has developed, the current educational product is failing English kids in a more competitive worlf. If you cant see that then you are blind or you have never worked in London. Education will change, and for the better with better standards, or the future for English kids is very, very bleak.

So you base your judgements on the people you see around you in canary wharf ? Please tell me how you would change the education system.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Pogue Mahone, if cant see that English education is failing English kids then the standards you set are lower than mine. Things have to change as one day in Canary Wharf will teach you.

Oh do stop going on about Canary Wharf.

There are obviously problems in our education system, and most of these are due to under-funding and constant movements of the goalposts. Not to mention the difficulties that we have in society as a whole. Teachers need to work in partnership with parents - you'd be amazed at the number of parents who won't support their children's learning at home as it's "the teacher's job."

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Pogue Mahone. You misunderstand completely. I dont care what you get paid, or what holidays you take. You as the teacher are not important, the children and their standard of education is. The fact is that the current standard of education of working class kids in this country is simply a disgrace and working class kids had a better chance in the 1950's than now. Education needs root and branch reform (as do the police and fire service), the fact is that teachers are more interested in their holidays and they show the public sector protectionist self interest that is oh so transparent. Our kids now have to compete in London for the best jobs with international kids, a rising very well educated Asian workforce, as well as a very hungry Eastern European workforce who speak at least 2 languages. English kids, well they are just not cutting it, so change or fail.

Please read this.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

How are we failing when we are ahead of USA and Germany? The best education state. In the world is in Finland where they have NO POLITICAL INTERVENTION.

I would love that to happen. We would move onwards and upwards. We are teaching for tomorrow not today or the 1950's. 80% of today's jobs didn't exist 20 years ago. This is what challenges and motivates us. How do we address it? By going back to 1950's standards? I don't think so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here