• Love it and long may it continue

Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I am pretty sure we have had U.K. politicians take the knee in support of the BLM protests last year so like it or not those that did made the decision to make it political matter in the U.K. I wonder if they regret it now?

That politicisation should be seen in the context of the 2020 BLM protests where we saw some police take the knee in solidarity with BLM protestors. The police were then violently attacked by BLM protesters. The BLM protests vandalised and pulled down statues (most of them listed) some of which was tacitly supported by politicians some of who are pursuing the removal of more statues etc. All of these events happened when the country was in lockdown. If these aspects individually and in aggregate do not make the BLM issue “political” for many many people you are deluded.

Two weeks following these political events the football establishment, media, players supported the BLM cause, by taking the knee and sporting “Black Lives Matter” on their shirts. The football establishment can say what they want BLM is a political movement in the US and it has a foothold in U.K., long before GF.

Anyone that supports keeping politics out of sport has a justifiable claim to give these pampered kneeling privileged multi millionaires a good booing.

You just want an excuse to be racist.
Again

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Alf Garnett was clearly and obviously a ridiculously bigoted figure who was intended to be dismissed as having ridiculous views. The programme actively ridiculed Alf Garnett’s position on just about everything. Did you miss the point?

Love thy neighbour was just rubbish.
Ithink you've missed the point as I said in those days it was humour and if you watched it at that time I suspect you also laughed at it like I did.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
You were making this connection on the Marcus Rashford thread too. I will ask the question that you chose to ignore on that thread again.

You have once again suggested that somehow someone's bank balance somehow means that they shouldn't care or can't be affected by racism. So how much do you need to earn?

If you are playing for Man Utd and earning 250k per week like Rashford, you tell me where is he experiencing discrimination in his actual day to day life? What services and products are denied to him, what doors are locked to him?

The answer is none.

Oh yeah, he gets nasty comments from nobodies on his Twitter account.........that’s it.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If you are playing for Man Utd and earning 250k per week like Rashford, you tell me where is he experiencing discrimination in his actual day to day life? What services and products are denied to him, what doors are locked to him?

The answer is none.

Oh yeah, he gets nasty comments from nobodies on his Twitter account.........that’s it.

There. You've answered it yourself.

He gets discriminated in his daily life for the colour of his skin.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

The answer is none.

You have answered your own question and contradicted yourself here.

You have no idea what he has experienced in his life nor his experiences of racism. Not do I.

Anyway you are once again avoiding the question here. You are making a connection between someone's bank balance and their experiences if racism. So how much cash does one need to have before you think they should no longer worry about racism?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Those poppies every November: run its course . . . . .

It is on a par with that ???

The fact there is booing is reason to actively support its continuance.

I hope they carry on with it. Their choice of course. My feeling is, if they stop, the racists will say 'TFFT, they will never win' ???

C'mon Harry

Poppies are a mark of remembrance for previous sacrifice not the same thing at all.

Taking the knee was/is a protest at racial injustice. That's not stopped nor likely to in my lifetime unfortunately but I just think that particular protest which originally was by Colin Kaepernick for the playing of the US anthem just loses its impact when its done weekly without context, its become an act like lining up before kick off rather than an actual protest? Cause is sound but would benefit from a refocus in my opinion.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Watching Moss struggling to get back up after taking the knee reminds me of a new born horse attempting to stand for the first time so for his sake alone it's for the best it stops altogether.

If individual players want to do it then that's up to them but I would imagine there are quite a few players that think it's something they've been obliged to do , not what they want to do .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
C'mon Harry

Poppies are a mark of remembrance for previous sacrifice not the same thing at all.

Taking the knee was/is a protest at racial injustice. That's not stopped nor likely to in my lifetime unfortunately but I just think that particular protest which originally was by Colin Kaepernick for the playing of the US anthem just loses its impact when its done weekly without context, its become an act like lining up before kick off rather than an actual protest? Cause is sound but would benefit from a refocus in my opinion.

I fear you have the wrong end of the stick. It is very simple. If someone claims that his booing the taking the knee is an expression of his 'free speech', then booing anything, poppies, funeral cortages, people going to church, is also free speech. El Pres made the point eloquently.

And, as others clearly understand, taking the knee is excellent and should continue for as long as people feel the need to boo it (or indeed claim it has run its course, never did anything, won't cure racism, etc).

Have a listened to the likes of Dotun Adebayo, and Ian Wright talking about what a lifetime of racism feels like. You and I will never understand it.

Also, the sweet irony of Palace hating gammon on NSC suggesting we should all take the lead of Wilf Zaha (as I have read) and 'move on' is beyond parody.

Anyway . . . . all the best :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
People: "You can't say or do anything any more. We live in a dictatorship – whatever happened to free speech?"

The same people: "Footballers should stop taking the knee and concentrate on playing football. We don't care about their opinions about racism."

:dunce:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I fear you have the wrong end of the stick. It is very simple. If someone claims that his booing the taking the knee is an expression of his 'free speech', then booing anything, poppies, funeral cortages, people going to church, is also free speech. El Pres made the point eloquently.

And, as others clearly understand, taking the knee is excellent and should continue for as long as people feel the need to boo it (or indeed claim it has run its course, never did anything, won't cure racism, etc).

Have a listened to the likes of Dotun Adebayo, and Ian Wright talking about what a lifetime of racism feels like. You and I will never understand it.

Also, the sweet irony of Palace hating gammon on NSC suggesting we should all take the lead of Wilf Zaha (as I have read) and 'move on' is beyond parody.

Anyway . . . . all the best :thumbsup:

I wouldn't dream of booing the knee not sure why you think that I would?

Booing at best makes you a w@nker, a racist at worst. I'm not objecting to players taking the knee if that is what they want to do. I'm just not convinced it has a great deal of value as a protest? That is not belittling the effects of Racism which must be hideous I'm just not convinced its effective but I am not the font of all knowledge on the subject so each to their own...

I marched and fought with ANL against the NF back in the late 70's so I know which side of this particular 'debate' I am on.

Not sure if I am the Palace hating 'Gammon' in question although I do qualify physically at least on all counts I wouldn't willingly quote Zaha on the time of day :lolol:
However, in this instance I agree with his right to make his own decision on the matter as I do with those who choose to continue...

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn't dream of booing the knee not sure why you think that I would?

Booing at best makes you a w@nker, a racist at worst. I'm not objecting to players taking the knee if that is what they want to do. I'm just not convinced it has a great deal of value as a protest? That is not belittling the effects of Racism which must be hideous I'm just not convinced its effective but I am not the font of all knowledge on the subject so each to their own...

I marched and fought with ANL against the NF back in the late 70's so I know which side of this particular 'debate' I am on.

Not sure if I am the Palace hating 'Gammon' in question although I do qualify on all counts I wouldn't willingly quote Zaha on the time of day :lolol:
However, in this instance I agree with his right to make his own decision on the matter as I do with those who choose to continue...

Sorry, I thought you missed my point - I was having a go at people who support the booing of the knee taking on grounds of free speech. That's all.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
It made a very valid global point in the beginning but little has changed in terms of what it has achieved for football reform. Actions speak far louder than gestures. It's run its course.

what leads you to conclude little has changed?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think It should stop, stop the day after the last BAME player STOPS getting racist abuse for missing a tackle or fluffing a sitter in any match.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
You have answered your own question and contradicted yourself here.

You have no idea what he has experienced in his life nor his experiences of racism. Not do I.

Anyway you are once again avoiding the question here. You are making a connection between someone's bank balance and their experiences if racism. So how much cash does one need to have before you think they should no longer worry about racism?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

If being sent nasty comments and monkey emojis to your Twitter account from anyone from around the globe is the epitome of vile racist discrimination in the U.K. these days then frankly I think this country is in a good place.

You are quite right about understanding lived experiences though, I do not have the lived experience of a multi millionaire footballer, with the privilege they must have in their lives, with their pimped up lambos, jeroboams of kristal, vintage petrus and 150k audemars piguets (probably provided free if they wear it on interviews). What a life.

The lived experience heirachy is interesting isn’t it, particularly in Manchester a city devastated by a terrorist attack a mere 3 years ago. No doubt those materially affected by that attack will accept that their lives are far better than a multi millionaire footballer being sent nasty messages on Twitter.

It’s not a straight financial value issue is it, it’s context. Zealots and extremists rarely do context, it’s why to them taking the knee is a binary issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here