Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Love it and long may it continue

Votes: 95 27.5%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 132 38.2%

• Total voters

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I am pretty sure we have had U.K. politicians take the knee in support of the BLM protests last year so like it or not those that did made the decision to make it political matter in the U.K. I wonder if they regret it now?

That politicisation should be seen in the context of the 2020 BLM protests where we saw some police take the knee in solidarity with BLM protestors. The police were then violently attacked by BLM protesters. The BLM protests vandalised and pulled down statues (most of them listed) some of which was tacitly supported by politicians some of who are pursuing the removal of more statues etc. All of these events happened when the country was in lockdown. If these aspects individually and in aggregate do not make the BLM issue “political” for many many people you are deluded.

Two weeks following these political events the football establishment, media, players supported the BLM cause, by taking the knee and sporting “Black Lives Matter” on their shirts. The football establishment can say what they want BLM is a political movement in the US and it has a foothold in U.K., long before GF.

Anyone that supports keeping politics out of sport has a justifiable claim to give these pampered kneeling privileged multi millionaires a good booing.

realistically, assuming it's a good thing, how could politics be kept out of sport?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If being sent nasty comments and monkey emojis to your Twitter account from anyone from around the globe is the epitome of vile racist discrimination in the U.K. these days then frankly I think this country is in a good place.

You are quite right about understanding lived experiences though, I do not have the lived experience of a multi millionaire footballer, with the privilege they must have in their lives, with their pimped up lambos, jeroboams of kristal, vintage petrus and 150k audemars piguets (probably provided free if they wear it on interviews). What a life.

The lived experience heirachy is interesting isn’t it, particularly in Manchester a city devastated by a terrorist attack a mere 3 years ago. No doubt those materially affected by that attack will accept that their lives are far better than a multi millionaire footballer being sent nasty messages on Twitter.

It’s not a straight financial value issue is it, it’s context. Zealots and extremists rarely do context, it’s why to them taking the knee is a binary issue.

you do come across as a tad jealous, does it influence your view i wonder?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I am pretty sure we have had U.K. politicians take the knee in support of the BLM protests last year so like it or not those that did made the decision to make it political matter in the U.K. I wonder if they regret it now?

That politicisation should be seen in the context of the 2020 BLM protests where we saw some police take the knee in solidarity with BLM protestors. The police were then violently attacked by BLM protesters. The BLM protests vandalised and pulled down statues (most of them listed) some of which was tacitly supported by politicians some of who are pursuing the removal of more statues etc. All of these events happened when the country was in lockdown. If these aspects individually and in aggregate do not make the BLM issue “political” for many many people you are deluded.

Two weeks following these political events the football establishment, media, players supported the BLM cause, by taking the knee and sporting “Black Lives Matter” on their shirts. The football establishment can say what they want BLM is a political movement in the US and it has a foothold in U.K., long before GF.

Anyone that supports keeping politics out of sport has a justifiable claim to give these pampered kneeling privileged multi millionaires a good booing.

I knew all of this before my post (I haven't been living in a cave for the last year or two) so none of it convinces me that it is political.

I accept that some people and organisations have tried to make it political but the vast majority of people, especially in this country, do not look at it as such and support the wider movement and campaign against racism of all kinds. I would have thought that you would struggle to find a Premier League footballer who was bending the knee for political purposes. They are just supporting their team mates.

From some of the posts on this thread, I now agree with other posters that say continue with it until the booing stops.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People: "You can't say or do anything any more. We live in a dictatorship – whatever happened to free speech?"

The same people: "Footballers should stop taking the knee and concentrate on playing football. We don't care about their opinions about racism."

:dunce:

Sums it all up nicely. Great post.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Another poor attempt at referencing my job, back to the drawing board with the others.

Non payment of licence fee has for all intents been decriminalised by the BBC for over 75s, that is a fact, and recently confirmed by the DG. The door is now open for other categories to be decriminalised, lovely jubbly Rodney.

Quite what this has with taking the knee is a mystery to me, you are not one of those posters that moan about threads being derailed are you?

Unless I have missed something, the DG of the BBC is not head of the judiciary in Britain, you are not over 75 and what you are indulging in is still a criminal act. So sadly, once again, and I suspect not for the last time, it seems you have got your facts completely wrong :shrug:

And I was simply replying to another post because I would never try to derail a thread :angel:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Indeed.

And of course it must continue.

It's the gift (of flushing out the racists who can't stand it, or know how to contain themselves) that keeps on giving.

Live and let live, I say. I've got nothing against racists. There again, I wouldn't like one living next door to me. And it would be wrong to marry one. Not normal, is it?

Nailed it.
I can see it know. 'must not Boo, Must not Boo, Must not BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

Bugger

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I knew all of this before my post (I haven't been living in a cave for the last year or two) so none of it convinces me that it is political.

I accept that some people and organisations have tried to make it political but the vast majority of people, especially in this country, do not look at it as such and support the wider movement and campaign against racism of all kinds. I would have thought that you would struggle to find a Premier League footballer who was bending the knee for political purposes. They are just supporting their team mates.

From some of the posts on this thread, I now agree with other posters that say continue with it until the booing stops.

Your entitled to your opinion as I and others have that BLM and the current endorsed gesturing is political. The players have a right to support that political view, the public has a right to make its own judgement and gestures if they disapprove of it. What’s the problem.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Unless I have missed something, the DG of the BBC is not head of the judiciary in Britain, you are not over 75 and what you are indulging in is still a criminal act. So sadly, once again, and I suspect not for the last time, it seems you have got your facts completely wrong :shrug:

And I was simply replying to another post because I would never try to derail a thread :angel:

He may not be, but he controls BBC policy.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/over-75...payment-licence-fee-bbc-boss-tim-davie-923079

Yeah, what a crime; not contributing to Lineker’s ever growing off shore multi million pot. You can pay it if you want, good luck to you, I will take the chance that the BBC is f*cked by constantly criminalising poor women that they have quietly closed down their enforcement processes, time will tell obviously.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/over-75...payment-licence-fee-bbc-boss-tim-davie-923079

Yeah, what a crime; not contributing to Lineker’s ever growing off shore multi million pot. You can pay it if you want, good luck to you, I will take the chance that the BBC is f*cked by constantly criminalising poor women that they have quietly closed down their enforcement processes, time will tell obviously.

There you go again. Why does everything you write betray your jealousy of success and money (or certainly if you have a certain political outlook or skin colour)?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

If I am paying for your tv license does that mean I get to decide what you watch ? (It should)

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

You sound like AN Other right wing brainwashed. All the same cliches and targets....Z Z z z

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Only 25% of the very liberal NSC want it to continue.

If you asked this somewhere like WACCOE it’d be under 10 I feel.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only 25% of the very liberal NSC want it to continue.

If you asked this somewhere like WACCOE it’d be under 10 I feel.

It’s not 25% of the user base and, as pointed out on page 1 , the poll options are biased and useless.

I’ve not voted and I’m happy for the players to carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s not 25% of the user base and, as pointed out on page 1 , the poll options are biased and useless.

I’ve not voted and I’m happy for the players to carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t vote either, because I didn’t like any of the options. Only 257 out of the thousands that use Nsc bothered voting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports