Tabloids take aim at Hodgson again, this time over 'space monkey' race row

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well I think I'm offended, man evolved from monkeys and has greater mental capacity and ability to reason and therefore would have been far more capable of understanding and following the instructions than the monkey. If I was Chris Smalling I'd be thinking much the same. So quite clearly racist.

:facepalm: :lolol:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well I think I'm offended, man evolved from monkeys and has greater mental capacity and ability to reason and therefore would have been far more capable of understanding and following the instructions than the monkey. If I was Chris Smalling I'd be thinking much the same. So quite clearly racist.

Thats providing Smalling has normal levels of IQ.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

:facepalm: :lolol:

I don't know, i saw this documentary the other day where an Orangutan got the better of some stupid british bloke :angel:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Society of Black Lawyers are really starting to grate me now.

Anti-racism group Kick It Out had called for an investigation but following the FA's inquiry and backing of the manager, said it deemed the matter concluded.

But this is not enough for Herbert [the chairman of the Society of Black Lawyers] and he told Kick Off that the society will be making a formal complaint and demanding to see a transcript of the governing body's investigation detailing who it had spoken to and what had been said.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
keep-calm-and-don-t-buy-the-sun.png

Or any other 'paper' going with this non-story.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The Society of Black Lawyers are really starting to grate me now.

Agree with that - my blood boils when I hear or read them. Who put Peter Herbert in charge? No-one is the answer but he thinks he is the Oracle of Delphi but is in reality a nasty, horrible, vindictive, idoit using the vehicle of racism for his own personal agenda and gain. He is as much a despicable human being as the EDL end of the spectrum but given the oxygen of publicity via the likes of Talk Sport.

If he can make a formal complaint, can I also make one on the basis that I see him harassing a decent man over an issue which is absolutely nothing to do with him and is not in slightest way racist? If this goes to the Police, he should be charged with wasting thier time.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Understand Kick it Out steaming in; they can't ignore whats splashed on the back page of the Sun (no matter how much we'd all like to) regardless of how spurious it is. And their pretty swift statement saying "The FA have looked into it, nothing to see here, move along please" was welcome, and should .

Peter Herbert's criticism of this stems from his (& the SoBLs) lack of faith in Kick it Out, which is fair enough I suppose, if a bit churlish. But challenging this decision in particular does them no favours at all, on any count, so it's a weird thing for them to say.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
England probably has the least problem with racism of any footballing country, yet there seems to be a complete obsession with it. I wonder what Talkshite will be talking about for the rest of the day? If I were Woy, take a holiday son, it will all have died down in about a week

Talk Shite have a lot of front to be going on about it as well. How many high profile presenters do they have from ethnic minorities?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
So you can't use the word Monkey because some people use it in a racial way ?

I'm baffled really

So am I. When I was young I was called a "Cheeky monkey" quite often. Its because in some ways, particularly in our youth, boys and youing monkeys exhibit similar behaviour.

I wonder if they would be touchy if it was "Feed the Meerkat"?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007

Thats providing Smalling has normal levels of IQ.

is it nothing to do with race, just someone being put out at the fact that "they" have to feed the more creative player, "they" are just a supporting role

for example, the person could be a long standing international player, that has seen thier "critical role" dwinlded over the last few games, can see that they might not even be in the WC squad, and to umbridge that "they" are just on the pitch (if not on the bench) to supply a much young "junior" player

this person may also have commerical contacts to the sun

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think the Sun realise they have dropped a bollock with this one and there is hardly a mention of the story in todays paper

I noticed the same thing. Strange, because I was expecting a follow-up story with more 'revelations'. Said paper is quite good at them...

I'm sure that (if what has been described is a true reflection of events), the player that went to the paper will be named and have the chance to put his "side" of the story across in an EXCLUSIVE :ffsparr:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is now getting very out of hand and to be frank, googling ridiculous

RFS urges the FA to implement a mandatory 'race appreciation' training and 'cultural capital and cultural intelligence' training for Roy Hodgson and all managers in the Premier League, Championship.

Race For Sport on Sky Website

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
From the BBC:

England winger Andros Townsend described Roy Hodgson's comment that prompted a race row as a compliment.
Hodgson was criticised for referring to a joke about a monkey and an astronaut at half-time in Tuesday's World Cup qualifier against Poland.
"The manager just told the players to give the ball to me so that's a compliment really," said Townsend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports