Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tabloids take aim at Hodgson again, this time over 'space monkey' race row

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This MIGHT even backfire on the tabloids beautifully and actually see the English public WARMING to Hodgson, if they actually see through what the Press are doing for once.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
England probably has the least problem with racism of any footballing country, yet there seems to be a complete obsession with it. I wonder what Talkshite will be talking about for the rest of the day? If I were Woy, take a holiday son, it will all have died down in about a week

There is an obsession with it because the moment something becomes fashionable, a whole industry suddenly springs up around it. People that you have never previously heard of suddenly appear in the media, representing some association or body that has been created out of nothing.
Why did Peter Herbert create the Association of Black Lawyers? I was not aware that there was an Association of White Lawyers?
Did its very formation imply that black people couldn't get representation with white lawyers. That they weren't getting a fair hearing or that black lawyers could represent their interests ' better ' Or was there a major issue in black lawyers getting work? Or was he seeking publicity. Did he have an axe to grind. A chip on his shoulder. Was he waiting for that opportunity to thrust himself into the spotlight? An opportunity that he gleefully embraced with the ' Terry / Ferdinand saga ' A situation where he fanned the flames, rather than try to douse the fire. A situation so public and heated that we now have young footballers in this country completely unable to draw the line between where racism genuinely exists and where it certainly does not.
We now have ' Kick it Out ' and ' F.A.R. E ' ( football against racism in Europe ) Organisations that may be well meaning but at any opportunity thrust any tiny jot of possible ' racism' into the public arena.
Scrape below the surface and all the people in these particular organisations have an agenda. They are all earning good salaries and the more work they create and the more press they instigate, the more they can justify their own existence.
They are all feeding off each other. These organisations, the Tabloid Press and the idiots that feed them stories. It is a money-making machine that keeps rolling on. They have no real desire to eliminate the vast majority of racism. Its not in their interest.
The Association of Black Lawyers is, by its very essence, racist. It is discriminatory. The man acting as its spokesman is an obnoxious and dangerous individual working to his own agenda in life.
I for one, refuse to walk on eggshells. I know what is racist and I know what isn't. There is no sensitivity. I will not allow myself to be mentally bullied by these prejudiced people. I will use the word ' monkey ' over and over again. I will not let them ' hijack ' words that have had perfectly innocent meaning for years.
These people have been allowed a free run for too long to spout their bile and influence the uninitiated and unintelligent. This is now what we have become. A society, so sensitive and insecure that it is frightened to open its mouth for fearing to offend someone. We are a mixed race nation that has matured over centuries. We are generally sensible and tolerant. We mustn't allow these self-centred idiots to spoil it for the rest of us.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I would boycott The Sun, if I bought it.... but people do (and quite a few).

I buy it occasionally mainly of there is nothing else on offer (won't buy the mirror. Ever). I buy the Mail actually most days. Read the sports pages and throw the rest of the paper away. The sports write ups are excellent. The rest of the paper is utter nonsense.

Really wish people would stop buying the sun though. It's a badly written comic. No idea what people see in it....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This MIGHT even backfire on the tabloids beautifully and actually see the English public WARMING to Hodgson, if they actually see through what the Press are doing for once.

The other people it will likely back-fire is the anti-racism groups that are making a big deal out of it. Because next time they try and make an issue of something actually racist, some people will have switched off

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Today's news, tomorrow's chip wrapper. It wont be long until the tabloids are whipping up the "Our Boys in Brazil" hysteria...followed by the "we wuz robbed" headlines a week or so later.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The other people it will likely back-fire is the anti-racism groups that are making a big deal out of it. Because next time they try and make an issue of something actually racist, some people will have switched off

Agreed - they look really rather stupid today.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Tabloids always were and always will be useless rags. On the other hand, the below in the Telegraph Blogs on the subject is actually worth a read.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/t...t-distracts-us-from-real-complex-race-issues/

That's a really interesting read, but people really do need to just stop worrying about everything to the Nth degree.

So what if my subconscious brain, as a result of my surroundings and information that I've been exposed to in my lifetime, gives less favour to certain race groups. My conscious brain is there to correct it, job done, nothing to worry about. Using it as a tool to show that we are all inherantly racist does more harm than good. My subconscious brain regularly tells me to jump under a passing train or to drive my car into oncoming traffic, I'm not suicidal in any way shape or form, it's just that the mind is a strange and complex thing that we don't understand.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
There is an obsession with it because the moment something becomes fashionable, a whole industry suddenly springs up around it. People that you have never previously heard of suddenly appear in the media, representing some association or body that has been created out of nothing.
Why did Peter Herbert create the Association of Black Lawyers? I was not aware that there was an Association of White Lawyers?
Did its very formation imply that black people couldn't get representation with white lawyers. That they weren't getting a fair hearing or that black lawyers could represent their interests ' better ' Or was there a major issue in black lawyers getting work? Or was he seeking publicity. Did he have an axe to grind. A chip on his shoulder. Was he waiting for that opportunity to thrust himself into the spotlight? An opportunity that he gleefully embraced with the ' Terry / Ferdinand saga ' A situation where he fanned the flames, rather than try to douse the fire. A situation so public and heated that we now have young footballers in this country completely unable to draw the line between where racism genuinely exists and where it certainly does not.
We now have ' Kick it Out ' and ' F.A.R. E ' ( football against racism in Europe ) Organisations that may be well meaning but at any opportunity thrust any tiny jot of possible ' racism' into the public arena.
Scrape below the surface and all the people in these particular organisations have an agenda. They are all earning good salaries and the more work they create and the more press they instigate, the more they can justify their own existence.
They are all feeding off each other. These organisations, the Tabloid Press and the idiots that feed them stories. It is a money-making machine that keeps rolling on. They have no real desire to eliminate the vast majority of racism. Its not in their interest.
The Association of Black Lawyers is, by its very essence, racist. It is discriminatory. The man acting as its spokesman is an obnoxious and dangerous individual working to his own agenda in life.
I for one, refuse to walk on eggshells. I know what is racist and I know what isn't. There is no sensitivity. I will not allow myself to be mentally bullied by these prejudiced people. I will use the word ' monkey ' over and over again. I will not let them ' hijack ' words that have had perfectly innocent meaning for years.
These people have been allowed a free run for too long to spout their bile and influence the uninitiated and unintelligent. This is now what we have become. A society, so sensitive and insecure that it is frightened to open its mouth for fearing to offend someone. We are a mixed race nation that has matured over centuries. We are generally sensible and tolerant. We mustn't allow these self-centred idiots to spoil it for the rest of us.

Brilliant post :thumbsup:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Difficult for The Sun to take the moral high ground on people being offensive when it produces a cover like this, IMO.

sun-woy.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hello, It is warm and cuddly churchy Dave in Southampton who is very good at taking offence at other people here and.........., I don't think it is racist at all.

I used to work in the aviation industry 20 years ago and there was a joke circulating then about the "fly-by-wire" technology used in the latest Airbuses, which was along the lines of the crew of an A330 Airbus in the future will be one man and a dog.. The man is there4 to feed the dog, and the dog is there to stop the man touching the controls.

It was just unfortunate using a joke about monkeys when some people (NOT ME) might take offence at it. I like Roy and he is better than that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I'm pretty sure that The Sun, a right-wing paper with a past of attacking 'Political Correctness gone mad' is very much aware of this dynamic.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting the lengths The Sun will go to chase a non-story, even if it puts them in the position of looking like they're easily offended, heart-bleeding overly-Politically Correct, as well as unpatriotic.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I sincerely hope that this non-story acts as a line drawn in the sand whereby we can all move on from the ridiculous 'ooh, I'm offended' nonsense and get back to living our lives. We're largely a nation of decent, moderate, fair and well-meaning people, who are sick of being made to feel guilty by proxy. We've created monsters, from the BNP to the Association of Black Lawyers, from the Red Tops to 'reality' and aspirational tv, and they can all go and do one because enough is enough.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
This week I was listening to the story about press regulation and was actually feeling that mp's were unfairly trying to restrict the rights of the free press in order to protect own sordid little secrets, this nonsense tho shows that the press cannot be trusted to govern themselves, and that's a shame.
For f*cks sake it's an old joke being used As an analogy, the monkey is in actual fact a monkey in the joke, not a reference to a black man, why do ppl want to twist things? To sell papers and stir up sh*t I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here