Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Sussex’s Finest Property For Sale

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You are quite right of course , it’s not . But if you are savvy you can make some easy dollars by being careful where you buy so when you do sell sometime in the future the more in demand and desirable the area the higher the selling price you will get.

For example if say 10 years ago you bought a 4 bed semi with a large garden on a new development in say peace haven or hangelton etc and you sold it at the start of 2022 without doing any major building work to extend etc you would make a decent profit through house price inflation.

However if 10 years ago , instead of buying the 4 bed semi with a large garden in one of those areas you bought a 4 bed terraced house with a smaller garden in say poets corner in Hove and went to sell it at the start of 2022, you would have made on average around £50,000 more money .

If you don’t believe me , study the buying and selling prices on rightmove in different areas , you will be amazed at the difference in returns over the last 10 years .

It’s not a consideration for everyone I completely accept but it is a way to increase your capital if you are careful where you buy .
I've never bought anywhere with any consideration of capital. I have however, always considered where I live. Which is quite nice, IMO.
All of these mega-expensive properties seem so cold. Not temperature wise...just devoid of any personality or life.
like Grahams old gaff . . . Built a few years ago, and a charisma vacuum.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You are quite right of course , it’s not . But if you are savvy you can make some easy dollars by being careful where you buy so when you do sell sometime in the future the more in demand and desirable the area the higher the selling price you will get.

For example if say 10 years ago you bought a 4 bed semi with a large garden on a new development in say peace haven or hangelton etc and you sold it at the start of 2022 without doing any major building work to extend etc you would make a decent profit through house price inflation.

However if 10 years ago , instead of buying the 4 bed semi with a large garden in one of those areas you bought a 4 bed terraced house with a smaller garden in say poets corner in Hove and went to sell it at the start of 2022, you would have made on average around £50,000 more money .

If you don’t believe me , study the buying and selling prices on rightmove in different areas , you will be amazed at the difference in returns over the last 10 years .

It’s not a consideration for everyone I completely accept but it is a way to increase your capital if you are careful where you buy .
Well that's one way of looking at it. But you'll be living in a 2/3 bed terrace with tiny yard in Poet's Corner instead of a 4 bed detached with a decent garden and a drive somewhere like peacehaven (better comparison of house type you'd buy for similar money nowadays - still even perhaps being generous with what youd get somewhere like Poet's Corner!) for a decade, which for many parents with young children isn't a great option despite the highly desirable location of somewhere like Poet's Corner. Hence young families are spreading out away from B and H.
Anything can happen in a decade, too, both housing market wise and personally

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Why are the sofas pointing out the window rather than at the TV?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Now various people have said that it used to be a pub, I do remember going on a Geography field trip to Seaford from HGSB in the early 70's. I remember 4 of us going in there, ordering beers and then seeing our teachers through the door in the other bar (out the back IIRC - I'm guessing we were in the public bar and they were in the saloon). We then tried to appear relaxed and subtly down our drinks whilst staying out of the sightline of our teachers. Luckily we had practiced it a few times before at the Hove Park Tavern :wink:
In the lower 6th, age 16 and 17, we got smashed in The Buckle with our teachers, on the last Friday lunchtime session pre Xmas. It was the end point of something called The Buckle Run.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've never bought anywhere with any consideration of capital. I have however, always considered where I live. Which is quite nice, IMO.

like Grahams old gaff . . . Built a few years ago, and a charisma vacuum.

It is what it is.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

But if you lived somewhere you really didn't want to for a decade, you could make some MONEY :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As any realtor will tell you

Are you American?

it’s better to buy the smallest house in the best area than the biggest house in not a great area . Location always wins , certainly when it comes to property inflation.
Biggest house (read most expensive) in a not great area isn't ideal, but it's more complicated than 'buy best area'. Some properties simply have much more potential for improving than others.

However if 10 years ago , instead of buying the 4 bed semi with a large garden in one of those areas you bought a 4 bed terraced house with a smaller garden in say poets corner in Hove and went to sell it at the start of 2022, you would have made on average around £50,000 more money

I like Poets corner, but it's not what would be described as the best area, it was a cheaper area of Hove with small terraced properties. Prices have gone up a lot, but that goes against your 'best area' argument.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As, beyond the first post, this has become a fantasy home thread, for the last couple of months I've had a little itch for this place:-

I think the selling point of 'wake up and be in Paris for elevensies' is strong.

That said my joy in Aldi's Aisle of Uncertainty, new found love of The Range, and buying a watch for £17 from t'Amazon (still working) would suggest I'm a little short of the £7.4m required.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I used to go to the Buckle pub as a kid in the early 70s, with parents and grandparents, and it seemed magical.

It's not really recognisable as the same place these days. Just seems a bit confused and slightly tacky, and the outdoor bit is not very inviting.

But people do love Seaford seafront and visitor numbers have been rocketing since the pandemic. Maybe that inflates the price a bit.

It would be great if a new owner could reinstate it as a pub/bistro type place though I doubt anyone would take the plunge right now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lewis Dunk has sold his place for more than that and it hasn't even got a sea view :ohmy:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This used to be a proper pub, garden, the works . . . Some twat has f***ing ruined it, in spades, with PL-VAR infused glitter on top . . . It doesn't even look like a nice house!

I'd be interested to see what the buildings and contents insurance quotes are like for that one, being right next to the river.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not many plants are wind resistant especially salt water-laden wind.
Having just come past it, all the sea-facing windows are once again completely covered in dried sea spray so you can’t see out. You’d have to employ a permanent window cleaner with that much glass and massive panes of it. Plus the corrosive effect of the salt. I take it all back, it’s not the £2m ‘des res’ it err...first appeared to be.
:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here