[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Match drawn. Unbeaten. Unbeatable.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Seems something wrong with points system when we are 2nd with just 1 win and side in 4th has had 3 wins Surely we cant get promoted with 1 win

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just as an aside, does anyone know why Archie Lenham hasn’t been playing for the 2nd’s for some time now. Is he injured?
Archie finished college a while ago iirc - certainly dont think he was doing A levels this year. More to do with form and injuries I believe.
Pretty sure hes been 12th man for the 1sts on a few occasions though.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
How about we make a Chris Adams style appointment . Someone who is probably too good for us but is attracted by the prospect of captaincy. Tom Curran? Rory Burns ? Yes, maybe get Brown back.
It may sound ridiculous given his numbers but I‘m not sure Pujara is the answer. He’s an average tactical captain and we over rely on his runs.
The batsmen have generally matured in his absence. We muddle through , helped by FHP’s consistent form and tail wagging from Carson.
The biggest problem is bowling teams out. so Two overseas bowlers rather than one and Pujara.

I'm sure we could get a bowling all-rounder to average 35ish who could bat number 5 or 6.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
First One Day Cup game of the season against Durham today.
Durham off like a train to start with, which is basically just an extension of how they've been playing Championship cricket all season.
For the last two seasons or so I'm always surprised (and not normally in a good way) to see Finn in the line up, since I have it in my mind that he's retired to take up a job in the media.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Incidentally, re. some of the chat in the Hundred thread, I'm not sure of the logic behind cutting down the number of teams considering:
The ECB make money.

English cricket as a whole has more money than any country bar India.

Most of the "smaller" counties have good records for producing players.

Most of the smaller counties do attract good crowds for their T20 matches (i.e. the only format that can actually be expected to attract a significant crowd nowadays).

The England team are world champions in both limited overs formats and have a generally good to very good test team. In other words, despite the constant mithering, the domestic system does succeed in the aim to produce large numbers of international quality players.

The more rural counties are generally the areas with the strongest interest in cricket - getting rid of them would be the equivalent of Rugby League dumping the Hull teams in favour of London on the basis that there's a bigger possible audience there.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Having looked completely devoid of any ideas or threat for 35 overs, Sussex have done well to fight back in the last half hour or so

329-2 (35.6 overs)Lees
329-3 (36.1 overs)Bedingham
338-4 (37.5 overs)Pretorius
347-5 (39.4 overs)McKinney
347-6 (39.5 overs)Trevaskis
348-7 (40.2 overs)P Coughlin

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Having looked completely devoid of any ideas or threat for 35 overs, Sussex have done well to fight back in the last half hour or so

329-2 (35.6 overs)Lees
329-3 (36.1 overs)Bedingham
338-4 (37.5 overs)Pretorius
347-5 (39.4 overs)McKinney
347-6 (39.5 overs)Trevaskis
348-7 (40.2 overs)P Coughlin
Indeed - though that run-rate may still be a tad challenging😊

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I can feel an historic run chase about to happen.
#GOSBTS

IMG_4216.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports