Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My thoughts exactly.

Delray was an interesting cricketeer. Scored fast, but rarely went on to produce a match winning contribution with the bat. His bowling was underrated though and was improving. Particularly in the one-day cut during the middle period. Very economical in that format.

When he played in a Sussex side that had Wright, Salt, Evans, Wiese and an overseas batter it was okay for Rawlins to score 25 off 12 and get out, as Sussex could keep going. But when that great team got dismantled Rawlins wasn’t reliable and isn’t the type to carry an innings. As a bowler who can bat though, he does have a future in cricket and I hope he finds a nice fit.

If he immediately finds an English county for next season I won’t be pleased, however.
Good assessment. He was indeed unreliable last season, when he might have taken the opportunity to become a senior player.
Perhaps he got wind he wasn't a guaranteed starter and that hastened his exit?
And he probably missed home having moved away when 14. Bermuda's a pretty nice place to move to so who can blame him.
Given he was offered and signed a new contract in Oct 22 you can understand Rob Andrew sounding miffed in the write-up.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's back with another county before long. Or possibly America.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Good assessment. He was indeed unreliable last season, when he might have taken the opportunity to become a senior player.
Perhaps he got wind he wasn't a guaranteed starter and that hastened his exit?
And he probably missed home having moved away when 14. Bermuda's a pretty nice place to move to so who can blame him.
Given he was offered and signed a new contract in Oct 22 you can understand Rob Andrew sounding miffed in the write-up.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's back with another county before long. Or possibly America.

From my understanding he also had a close family member/friend pass away too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Play resumed at 14:10... and Sussex are 62-5 (27.3 overs)... and, in the words of Supertramp, it's raining again.

Only Tom Alsop on 30* has shown any sort of gumption.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
Yet we elected to bat, so put ourselves in this situation. Also can't understand why we persist with Ibrahim, surely he needs a break from the first team for the benefit of all concerned.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Does seem to be a very strange decision to bat if the conditions are as they seem.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Agreed, baffling decision to bat. I can only assume the forecast is poor beyond today too and Sussex brain stormed this was the best approach of winning / securing bonus points.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
At what point do we hope for lots of rain so at least we get the points for a draw?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Glad the Sussex bat chumps are doing this badly when the Ashes is on, it means I care less about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here