Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Supporter victims of theft in Athens.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
An old boy was too close to comfort on the Metro on the way in and there was also world's shittest band playing for money and pockets on the way back to the airport. I'm not the most observant bloke in the world but there was plenty of shady chancers knocking about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed. Football fans may appear to be disproportionately affected as we do have a tendency to be quite drunk.
I guess as we’re a connected community, we hear about it more. If, say 10, separate families were pickpocketed we’d probably never know.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
All my Greek mates told me to be very careful in Athens. I took only my phone out with my driving license in the case if it was needed. My passport never comes out with me and I keep a copy on my phone if it's absolutely necessary.

Sorry to hear the ones that had stuff nicked, really unpleasant way to finish what was probably the best away day of all time.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Firstly, a huge thanks to the young taxi driver who took me to the bus pickup point. I didn't know it was cash only and had no cash on me. He wished me all the best for the game and said no worries. I tried to give him my details and hotel to arrange to see him or leave the cash at reception but he said no. I did give €10 to a homeless person next day.
For the trip my wife has a small bag with wrist strap and we took turns carrying it and holding it very tight. We had a code of 'mind your back' when seeing someone dubious.
I found the people very friendly and felt guilty not trusting the person walking towards me, especially at crossings.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Unfortunately this seems to be a regular occurrence for travelling fans.

Prior to the Euro League draw I was talking to a Utd friend, who goes on a few trips a season to get some tips on where to avoid, and tips on travelling, and one of the themes that came up was the number of Utd fans who seem to lose/have stolen passports and wallets while overseas.

Given the rain in Amsterdam I wasn't too concerned as all valuables where under several layers of clothing, but in Athens in any crowded area, I was always weary and spent most of the time with my hands firmly in pockets to deter would be thieves.

It's not so much the loss, but the hassle that follows in terms of replacement passport, cancelling bank/credit cards, or these days the loss of mobile.
The mobile is a very relevant point as a lot of tickets are on your phone these days, including match tickets and even boarding passes. I guess as long as you know the account details and can ask someone for help to use their phone you can still get the match tickets again, but still ….

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Firstly, a huge thanks to the young taxi driver who took me to the bus pickup point. I didn't know it was cash only and had no cash on me. He wished me all the best for the game and said no worries. I tried to give him my details and hotel to arrange to see him or leave the cash at reception but he said no. I did give €10 to a homeless person next day.
For the trip my wife has a small bag with wrist strap and we took turns carrying it and holding it very tight. We had a code of 'mind your back' when seeing someone dubious.
I found the people very friendly and felt guilty not trusting the person walking towards me, especially at crossings.
These tactics can also usefully be deployed when in the vicinity of Brighton station!!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
On the obverse, a great gesture by a station worker.

We were changing trains to head back to the airport, lots going on and we sat, bags alongside. He said we could get this one, and change somewhere along the line, Doukissis Plakentias.

Anyway, jumped up in a hurry to board, grabbed bag. As the doors were closing, our masked hero shouted to me and passed my mobile to me (yep, plane ticket therein) having left it on the seat. Oh how close to getting 1 minute up the line and going ape over such a loss.

Absolute legend Sir :bowdown::kiss:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My youngest lad did all 3 euro aways, I only did The Dam. We each bought passport sized money belts that can be worn beneath shirt, 9 quid on Amazon. We’re obviously getting at least one more euro trip, why not buy one now? It terrifies me th thought of losing cards, cash, phone, passport. All of those slot in waterproof and skin tight, totally secure, peace of mind, so you can focus on beer and birds.
I bought a money belt before going to stay with our friends in Athens. I agree it's safe and secure for cash, cards and passports.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
On the obverse, a great gesture by a station worker.

We were changing trains to head back to the airport, lots going on and we sat, bags alongside. He said we could get this one, and change somewhere along the line, Doukissis Plakentias.

Anyway, jumped up in a hurry to board, grabbed bag. As the doors were closing, our masked hero shouted to me and passed my mobile to me (yep, plane ticket therein) having left it on the seat. Oh how close to getting 1 minute up the line and going ape over such a loss.

Absolute legend Sir :bowdown::kiss:
I’m surprised you bother with an actual ticket, isn’t it PotG? 😆😆😆

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Was up by the acropolis and daughter was wearing her Brighton shirt and out the blue another female came up to her and gave her a hug. Think this was an attempted pick pocket but luckily daughter was on the ball and nothing taken
Thinking about it, up by Omonoia Sq a little girl about 5 years who was with a mother begging, wrapped her arms around my waist for a “little hug” Aware of the potential I quickly shooed her away. However I have had stuff like that happen in the UK

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
All my Greek mates told me to be very careful in Athens. I took only my phone out with my driving license in the case if it was needed. My passport never comes out with me and I keep a copy on my phone if it's absolutely necessary.

Sorry to hear the ones that had stuff nicked, really unpleasant way to finish what was probably the best away day of all time.
Albion had plastered all over the ticket website we had to take passport to game as had to match up with the passport number put on the ticket at time of purchase. More rubbish made up along with being told we had to get on the coaches to the stadium by stewards at ticket collection point and that there was no alcohol at stadium due to Greek law - AEK Fans laughing at us when we said that's what been told about beer sales.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Club guidance stated you had to have your passport. That didn't help reduce risk. As ordinarily I certainly wouldn't have had it on me.
SmartSelect_20231206-151520_Gallery.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here