Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Supporter victims of theft in Athens.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Nope, had a bit of a warm negotiation with a taxi driver outside the James Joyce.
We'd spent €5 getting there, he wanted €15 for a lift home.
He walked off before coming back with a €10 counter offer.
All too late, apart from that it all went nicely.
Great trip .

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Yeah I had my passport lifted while queuing for the first stewards cordon. Phone and wallet in front pockets, passport in closed short leg pocket. I was holding flag and match ticket and surrounded by loads of people you assume are doing what you are. Realised it had gone soon as past that cordon. Got back to hotel after game, applied online for temp travel document (first step of which irreversibly cancels the lifted one). Then went to see FBS. My application was processed through the night. So after no sleep, missing my scheduled Fri morning flight, I attended British Consulate for 11am appointment to collect the temp passport. Then managed to get evening flight thankfully. Anxiety inducing, and costly event. I was careful as heck too, but they are frickin good at what they do.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I got a cab Saturday morning and driver drove off and said cash only, tosser. Stopped at atm, I got €60 out and put it in pocket. Got to airport and gave him all the cash I had, 3 x 5 euros. I then had to get another €50 out to pay him. I'm now waiting on atm to notify monzo that the wrong money was given. I have to wait 7 days before making a claim.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I got chatting to a guy while watching the Chelsea match on Sunday in the Sports Bar who told me he’d had his passport nicked on his way to the airport on the Friday. He was still in Athens on Sunday, waiting for a replacement passport, and was told that Tuesday (today) was the likeliest earliest day he’d get it. So he had to finance several more days in a hotel etc, plus extra time off work.

Also met an American woman who’d had her passport and credit cards stolen in Monastiraki Square the day before.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I got a cab Saturday morning and driver drove off and said cash only, tosser. Stopped at atm, I got €60 out and put it in pocket. Got to airport and gave him all the cash I had, 3 x 5 euros. I then had to get another €50 out to pay him. I'm now waiting on atm to notify monzo that the wrong money was given. I have to wait 7 days before making a claim.
Didn’t quite understand that.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I got chatting to a guy while watching the Chelsea match on Sunday in the Sports Bar who told me he’d had his passport nicked on his way to the airport on the Friday. He was still in Athens on Sunday, waiting for a replacement passport, and was told that Tuesday (today) was the likeliest earliest day he’d get it. So he had to finance several more days in a hotel etc, plus extra time off work.

Also met an American woman who’d had her passport and credit cards stolen in Monastiraki Square the day before.
I had my temp replacement processed overnight thankfully after game. In real terms it prob took 6hours before contact to say it was ready. When I signed the log to collect mine early morning, there were already 4 other signatures that day from others in same boat. Embassy were fantastic. But then I did have every detail the online application needed (loads of info). I had snapshotted my passport details before I went thankfully.

Last edited:

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Didn’t quite understand that.
I think he's saying he tried to withdraw some twenty euro notes to pay the taxi driver but it gave him five euro notes in error and he didn't notice until he was already at the airport. And obviously the ATM will potentially say he withdrew sixty when he only got fifteen.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I must admit strolling around the Apocalypse in the afternoon I was always aware of possible pocket pilferage.

The thought of losing my powder blue faux leather passport cover kept me focussed, even after a couple of caraffes of house red.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I had my temp replacement processed overnight thankfully after game. In real terms it prob took 6hours before contact to say it was ready. When I signed the log to collect mine early morning, there were already 4 other signatures that day from others in same boat. Embassy were fantastic. But then I did have every detail the online application needed (loads of info). I had snapshotted my passport details before I went thankfully.
That’s great. I managed to lose a passport once and it took about 4 days to get a replacement. I naively thought they’d just look me up on the system and email me a temporary document but it was more convoluted than that.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
No, was utterly paranoid about it so was really focused in crowded areas. Hate having things nicked
Ditto, however I do like a drink and subsequently can let my guard down. My son was very cautious. Pleased to report that we had a trouble free trip although my mate had his wallet lifted on the metro coming from the airport.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately this seems to be a regular occurrence for travelling fans.

Prior to the Euro League draw I was talking to a Utd friend, who goes on a few trips a season to get some tips on where to avoid, and tips on travelling, and one of the themes that came up was the number of Utd fans who seem to lose/have stolen passports and wallets while overseas.

Given the rain in Amsterdam I wasn't too concerned as all valuables where under several layers of clothing, but in Athens in any crowded area, I was always weary and spent most of the time with my hands firmly in pockets to deter would be thieves.

It's not so much the loss, but the hassle that follows in terms of replacement passport, cancelling bank/credit cards, or these days the loss of mobile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here