Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storm Warning for South Coast on Monday...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa Laz what's your job? :blush:

I work in IT for a bank.

But I always wanted to be a weather forecaster, but didn't get the right grades to study it at Reading (there were few places that did the course back then, not like today), so I did a Geog Sci course instead, which included Meteo in the syllabus.

edit to add: Hence all of my actual interest; Geology, Astronomy, Meteorology are earth sciences.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
whether or not the weather is bad at match-time, it's the havoc it might cause on its way eastward that puts me off driving, ie trees down , floods at Chichester, etc....

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If any trees came down on the railway, then they should be cleared by the evening, though id expect disruption to travel Monday morning, for certain.

Trains may also be delayed due to poor rail conditions, of course the leaves turn to a slippery mulch on the rails to its hard for trains to move - like ice on a road.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The comparison is a bit silly. the '87 storm had recorded winds in excess of 100 mph both here and northern France. I can't see winds about 70 mph from this. Plus the trees are not in leaf like they were in '87.

They are down my way...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Timing will be key. if the low takes a Southerly trajectory and the strong winds hits the Dover straits at that time you might see some lively seas. There will be a funnelling effect down the channel as the low moves eastwards.

If the low heads East along the Channel it won't be so bad as the Southerly winds will not have so much fetch as South-Westerlies.
This is a fast moving little nasty and it will take a little while for the seas to build. Mind you, could be some free shellfish on offer for those who fancy a stroll along the beach about midnight Monday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The restaurant in Hove that used to be Harry's (back when it was successful) is closed on Monday "because of the storm". What has this country become? No backbone any more. It might not even affect us.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The restaurant in Hove that used to be Harry's (back when it was successful) is closed on Monday "because of the storm". What has this country become? No backbone any more. It might not even affect us.

Woman on BBC Radio urged locals to purchase candles and a camping stove as loss of power is almost inevitable and to stock up on bread and milk. I also saw some properties in Lyme boarding up windows and the local Co-op was giving out free bottled water to pensioners.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
The timing of all this is still pretty uncertain - as well as the actual strength. Each of the computer models has a storm, but widely differing impacts. ECMWF is the most consistent, and most threatening.
airpressure.png

ecmslp.072.png

metslp.72.png

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, but will the boat stop at the quayside?

If it doesn't, the boat will just keep heading up river and you'll be able to get the train to Falmer from further up the line (as long as they remember to open the bridge).

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We need to give this storm a name like what the yanks do innit.

Just call it Mary after my ex wife...when she came it was wet and windy...and when she went she took the ****ing house with her.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We bought a new 3 bedroom house in peacehaven last November that had been converted from a bungalow from a builder who redesigned the whole property.

This storm will confirm whether the builder did a good job or not.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They may or may not be prioritising the local authorities affected by the Storm but the Met Office have Brighton & Hove as 1st on the list...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here