Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Storm Warning for South Coast on Monday...

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
What's the latest Papa? I'm due to be flying from Heathrow on Monday morning and booked on the 6.30 train from Brighton, would appreciate your thoughts on my chance of getting there for an 11.30 flight.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Summer irrelevant, Autumn NOT dry the most important part of which the week leading up to the Storm Has been Very Wet. Trees are MORE in leaf than last 6 years. Could be carnage

I can confirm this. I was fishing last night in mid Sussex, a lot of trees are still in full leaf, and the ground is very, very wet. Carnage ensues.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If the wind is going to be as strong as predicted, I am just wondering how many of the people in my street are going to be bright enough to not leave their bins out overnight for the Monday morning collection? Its a narrow back road and with intact bins standing its a nightmare to drive down let alone if bins and rubbish are all over the shop.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just read the following, by chance, elsewhere...

I've just come out of a teleconference with various airports, air traffic control and the Met Office regarding the situation Sunday night in to Monday morning. The current industry specific breif is as follows:

The low should be in or around the Bristol channel by 2100 Sunday moving NE. At 0600 Monday its expected to be Cardigan Bay with a central pressure of 966mb still moving NE. It should clear the Lincolnshire coast by 1200. Anywhere inland south of a line drawn Plymouth to Norwich should see winds of 35-40KT (40-50mph) with occasional gusts up to 60KT (70mph). Exposed hills and coastal locations along the south coast could see a mean wind of 50-60KT with gusts in the 70-80KT region between the hours of 0400-1000. There is also an "outside chance" of somewhere seeing in excess of 80KTS (92mph) for a short while, most likely somewhere along the Dorset coast across to Kent.

Any storm surge/swell along the south coast should be around 6ft above the mean. We are in the neap tide range, so tides are not as high.

The estimate is that this low should be around 20mb less and on average around 20-30KTS less severe than the 1987 storm.

Information above is accurate as of 1430 this afternoon.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Just read the following, by chance, elsewhere...

I've just come out of a teleconference with various airports, air traffic control and the Met Office regarding the situation Sunday night in to Monday morning. The current industry specific breif is as follows:

The low should be in or around the Bristol channel by 2100 Sunday moving NE. At 0600 Monday its expected to be Cardigan Bay with a central pressure of 966mb still moving NE. It should clear the Lincolnshire coast by 1200. Anywhere inland south of a line drawn Plymouth to Norwich should see winds of 35-40KT (40-50mph) with occasional gusts up to 60KT (70mph). Exposed hills and coastal locations along the south coast could see a mean wind of 50-60KT with gusts in the 70-80KT region between the hours of 0400-1000. There is also an "outside chance" of somewhere seeing in excess of 80KTS (92mph) for a short while, most likely somewhere along the Dorset coast across to Kent.

Any storm surge/swell along the south coast should be around 6ft above the mean. We are in the neap tide range, so tides are not as high.

The estimate is that this low should be around 20mb less and on average around 20-30KTS less severe than the 1987 storm.

Information above is accurate as of 1430 this afternoon.

Amazingly the high tide level Sunday is the lowest of the month.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Southern and FCC have said that they have amended timetables prepared and depending on the forecasted conditions on Sunday afternoon - may put them into force from Monday morning.

Been told that Amex services in the evening would be pretty much unaffected.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You know trees are those big green things outside, right?

I have to say, having taken some notice of the trees on my drive through Worthing today, there are loads of trees in full lead still. Could be interesting.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Southern and FCC have said that they have amended timetables prepared and depending on the forecasted conditions on Sunday afternoon - may put them into force from Monday morning.

Been told that Amex services in the evening would be pretty much unaffected.

Why don't those train companies warn us they will not be adhering to their timetables every day?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If the wind is going to be as strong as predicted, I am just wondering how many of the people in my street are going to be bright enough to not leave their bins out overnight for the Monday morning collection? Its a narrow back road and with intact bins standing its a nightmare to drive down let alone if bins and rubbish are all over the shop.

Not sure what to do about this myself. Our bin is full, but if we don't put it outside our gate (unlike a couple of years ago) they won't empty it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not sure what to do about this myself. Our bin is full, but if we don't put it outside our gate (unlike a couple of years ago) they won't empty it.

Doh! Do not leave out overnight and on the basis that you are getting up for work and that your binmen come at a regular time, simply put out just before they come up the road. This means less time for bin to fall over and for rubbish to get blown all over the road which of course they will now not pick up. If rubbish gets blown all over the place during the night foxes may also aid the mess.

At times like this I always hope people engage their common sense and perform a little risk assessment to their property to avoid damage to their property and their neighbours.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The latest view

Screenshot_2013-10-26-22-23-11.png

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why don't those train companies warn us they will not be adhering to their timetables every day?

You repeated that joke a bit later, don't use trains if you abhor them so much

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yeah great. Looks like the ****ing thing is going to land right on my chimney in Leigh on Sea.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Doh! Do not leave out overnight and on the basis that you are getting up for work and that your binmen come at a regular time, simply put out just before they come up the road. This means less time for bin to fall over and for rubbish to get blown all over the road which of course they will now not pick up. If rubbish gets blown all over the place during the night foxes may also aid the mess.

At times like this I always hope people engage their common sense and perform a little risk assessment to their property to avoid damage to their property and their neighbours.
1) I don't have property nor will I ever have the chance to have property in Brighton thanks to Thatcher. 2) The binmen come before I get up for work.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
1) I don't have property nor will I ever have the chance to have property in Brighton thanks to Thatcher. 2) The binmen come before I get up for work.

So according to your first statement there is a possibilty of you having property that's not in Brighton?! Is there anywhere in particular that you can buy something that's not affected by former Prime Ministers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here