Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Feb 14, 2010
as an aside there wasn't 27000 there yesterday

Thats what they said on the TV. Or was it just 27000 that paid their money. Doesnt really make much odds either way as on a comparison basis, its how every club does it and the point stands. Well done Bournemouth, and what the !! are the Albion playing at ? Back on Stockdale, another game, another error.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Thats what they said on the TV. Or was it just 27000 that paid their money. Doesnt really make much odds either way as on a comparison basis, its how every club does it and the point stands. Well done Bournemouth, and what the !! are the Albion playing at ? Back on Stockdale, another game, another error.

And a couple more fantastic saves that kept us level.

Feb 14, 2010
And a couple more fantastic saves that kept us level.

Great, its what he is paid for. As someone else said, a couple of fantastic saves doesnt make up for being a keeper with a mistake in him that will cost a goal. Not if this club want to achieve anything anyway (and that is the Million Dollar question)

Feb 14, 2010
On a positive note however, the young keeper in our reserves who played at Spurs seems worth a go. Not sure why he was dropped after the Spurs game. I thought he did very well.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

i'm assuming u didnt go

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Great, its what he is paid for. As someone else said, a couple of fantastic saves doesnt make up for being a keeper with a mistake in him that will cost a goal. Not if this club want to achieve anything anyway (and that is the Million Dollar question)

That's why I take issue with these kind of threads, the club also pay CMS a lot of money to score goals, something he never does , where is the thread about him?

Feb 14, 2010
That's why I take issue with these kind of threads, the club also pay CMS a lot of money to score goals, something he never does , where is the thread about him?

There have been plenty and I agree, CMS has not been good enough since Poyet made the dreadful error to spend Millions on CMS instead of Murray. But this thread is about the keeper not the forwards so I commented on the keeper. But so I'm not accused of being negative, the young keeper in the reserves must be worth a chance after his performance at Spurs.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There have been plenty and I agree, CMS has not been good enough since Poyet made the dreadful error to spend Millions on CMS instead of Murray. But this thread is about the keeper not the forwards so I commented on the keeper. But so I'm not accused of being negative, the young keeper in the reserves must be worth a chance after his performance at Spurs.

He let in 2 goals at Spurs, he played well but no clean sheet.

We would have lost yesterday if it wasn't for Stockdale.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I feel sorry for Stockdale. He was one of only three decent players yesterday (and was the reason we weren't absolutely trounced) and yet he got beaten by a miss-hit cross where he'd anticipated the cross actually coming into the box. That would happen maybe once every 1000 crosses. Personally I'd prefer an aggressive starting position from my goalkeeper, where that happens once every few seasons, than a goalkeeper that stays on his line like a scared little boy.

Anyone slating him after yesterday's game needs to redirect their anger.

Last edited:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So Stockdale makes a string of brilliant saves before getting unlucky ONCE via a freak misshit cross and now finds himself on the foot of some criticism? Unbelievable.

The criticism of Big Dave is laughable sometimes.

Is he an improvement on PIG - yes, in every department - and his shot stopping capabilities are for my money right up there with Mark Beeney and John Keeley. The save at the end was unebelievable he had no right whatsoever to make that save and yet he's pilloried for not getting to a mishit cross.

Would love to see a camera angle of that goal from the east stand because so far the only angles both from the West stand favour the attacker and make DS look poor rather than unlucky. If he'd have saved it, which he nearly did think many of us would be lauding it as up there with the save at the end for quality.

Feb 14, 2010
He let in 2 goals at Spurs, he played well but no clean sheet.

We would have lost yesterday if it wasn't for Stockdale.

On the first point, then 1. We were playing Spurs at WHL not Wolves or Reading in the second tier 2. Just because a goal goes in, then it doesnt mean the keeper was at fault and 3. Unlike the Wolves goal yesterday and the Reading goal midweek, he did not make an error for the goals. On second point, you do not know what saves the other keeper would have made, his positioning ect but we do know that its another game and another goal keeping error that costs a goal. If we want to go up next season, we need a keeper who is not accident prone.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
than a goalkeeper that stays on his line like a scared little boy.

Like I feel we were used to seeing with sexy Pete, Ankergren, Walton, Digweed, arguably Roberts and definitely Graham Smith in recent years. Anyone wanting to understand the very definition of a shit error prone keeper only needs to recall or look up Graham Smith.

To pillory DS is just frankly insulting to shit keepers everywhere. He's an honest, good - mainly excellent keeper.

Feb 14, 2010
Like I feel we were used to seeing with sexy Pete, Ankergren, Walton, Digweed, arguably Roberts and definitely Graham Smith in recent years. Anyone wanting to understand the very definition of a shit error prone keeper only needs to recall or look up Graham Smith.

To pillory DS is just frankly insulting to shit keepers everywhere. He's an honest, good - mainly excellent keeper.

Before Christmas he was appalling, after Christmas he still keeps making mistakes. In fact two in two games this week. Sorry, just not good enough. Yesterdays mistake was dreadful. No point pretending. We are where we are in the table for reasons, the players have been poor and the keeper has been a part of that. The lad who played at Spurs deserves a proper chance

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Before Christmas he was appalling, after Christmas he still keeps making mistakes. In fact two in two games this week. Sorry, just not good enough. Yesterdays mistake was dreadful. No point pretending. We are where we are in the table for reasons, the players have been poor and the keeper has been a part of that. The lad who played at Spurs deserves a proper chance
When you say he was appalling could you put some skin on the bone ...let's say matches in November and December...when of course the team as a whole were struggling

Feb 14, 2010
When you say he was appalling could you put some skin on the bone ...let's say matches in November and December...when of course the team as a whole were struggling

I will turn that on its head. Are you saying that before Christmas he was a keeper that a club looking for promotion would have been happy with? That is the standard. He was below that standard, but as for individual errors, there actually have been so many, game after game and the one's in my mind at the moment are the two this week against Reading and Wolves. However have it your way, all is rosey in the garden and this set of players are just great, scrapping around the bottom of the second tier with a goal keeper making goal keeping errors with regularity really is good enough.

I feel sorry for Stockdale. He was one of only three decent players yesterday (and was the reason we weren't absolutely trounced) and yet he got beaten by a miss-hit cross where he'd anticipated the cross actually coming into the box. That would happen maybe once every 1000 crosses. Personally I'd prefer an aggressive starting position from my goalkeeper, where that happens once every few seasons, than a goalkeeper that stays on his line like a scared little boy.

Do you think Chris Hughton slated him for saying he should be disappointed with his keeping for the goal ?

Let's be honest - it's rare for a manager to make any public criticism of their players. Hughton would have not have done this lightly.

I've just watched it again on player, and they are all wrong, then..

So your argument is that the football correspondent of the Guardian is wrong. So is the Reading correspondent. The Argus. And the BBC radio guy - and you know better than them all.

Ok I'm really fascinated how far the mistake-deniers are willing to push their view - was Hughton also wrong to say Stockdale was disappointing for his work conceding the goal yesterday?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I will turn that on its head. Are you saying that before Christmas he was a keeper that a club looking for promotion would have been happy with? That is the standard. He was below that standard, but as for individual errors, there actually have been so many, game after game and the one's in my mind at the moment are the two this week against Reading and Wolves. However have it your way, all is rosey in the garden and this set of players are just great, scrapping around the bottom of the second tier with a goal keeper making goal keeping errors with regularity really is good enough.

Cut the pretention that we're a club looking for promotion - this season. We might have started out with that intention and on that basis the decision was taken to employ/hire DS as our chosen GK to that end.

I genuinely believe that he is good enough and that yesterday was a freak goal.

Football is about opinions and thankfully the only one that matters is CH's and he clearly and firmly has no intention of dropping DS.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So your argument is that the football correspondent of the Guardian is wrong. So is the Reading correspondent. The Argus. And the BBC radio guy - and you know better than them all.

Ok I'm really fascinated how far the mistake-deniers are willing to push their view - was Hughton also wrong to say Stockdale was disappointing for his work conceding the goal yesterday?

A manager can be disappointed publically for a mistake but I certainly don't believe it was a mistake. It was hardly a cock up of Ruddy like proportions was it?

I'm not a mistake denier either just calling it as I see it - there is enough quality in DS that he should remain first choice for this season and next when I believe that under CH we'll have another shot at play off contention.

Goalkeepers mistakes are thrust in the spotlight because they lead to goals and nothing is going to change that. The save near the end of the match was bloody amazing and we should be celebrating that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I can't recall saying all is rosey ....I was extremely frustrated yesterday being at the match that yet again we conceded so soon after scoring and of course at the nature of the goal.
However you are the one saying Stockdale is appalling ...I don't agree as you may have guessed...but am always open to debate...therefore I asked the question . If you don't wish to engage fine, but I will challenge your comments which I think are wrong. It's the nature of a bulletin board is it not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here