Stewards stopping people parking, What law & power do they have?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
It seems that there is a ZERO tolerance approach from the club and they arnt making any freinds by this at all. I know they want things to run smoothly and keep everyone happy but Blues rock dj said it was £9 to park, not only is there a limited number of spaces it's hardly affordable parking is it?

Where was the last away ground you went to and paid £9!!!

The club need to realise that people are going to park and walk outside a reasonable distance from the stadium.

Blimey, you're thick......split three ways makes £3 a head. Don't ask a question/raise a point if you don't want to accept other people's input !!!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Blimey, you're thick......split three ways makes £3 a head. Don't ask a question/raise a point if you don't want to accept other people's input !!!

And another insult.....it's still £9 you knob! If you have 10 people in your car or 1, It's £9 and £9 IS NOT REASONABLE!!!

Dont they teach you that in the old bill!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
there are loads of places to park within 30 mins of the ground... if you factor in jumping on a bus for a bit of the journey. or park down the lewes road a bit and walk. there's really no need at all to annoy the club/residents/fellow fans etc.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As the time restrictions finish at 18.00hrs (and they are not a resident only bay ) ...does that mean for evening games they could be parked in legally for whatever reason the car owner wants be it feeding the ducks .... walking in the countryside .... going to a match (cough)

On match days, the access to the pond area is closed off three hours before the match kicks off and not re-opened until 30 minutes after. Access is only given to residents.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And another insult.....it's still £9 you knob! If you have 10 people in your car or 1, It's £9 and £9 IS NOT REASONABLE!!!

Dont they teach you that in the old bill!

How do you make it £9 to park?

Uni parking costs £360... 23 league matches, plus a few others... is something between £13 and £15 a game by my reckoning.

Or are you parking somewhere else for £9 - if so, where? or is there a way to get cheaper parking at the Uni (1901 or something??)

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
On match days, the access to the pond area is closed off three hours before the match kicks off and not re-opened until 30 minutes after. Access is only given to residents.

What, like ducks:smile:

Transport Guru

Nov 11, 2011
Brighton
If your talking about Housedean Lane the reason you're not allowed to park there is because it's am private road, one of the residents told me and I checked with ESCC. I guess the landowner has been moaning at the club that inconsiderate people are blocking the lane. I tried to park here for the Palace game and I couldn't get in coz it was choker with parked cars - looked like middle of town!!

I drive to games as my old man doesnt like getting the train or Bus and have been parking in a country lane up the A27, approx 25 min walk from car to ground.

Now it's very quiet, doesnt block driveways, doesnt hold up traffic, isnt on yellow lines and is way away from anything of relevance.

There is a cluster of other cars that park there aswell.

Now for the Hull game there were 2 car loads of Stewards up the lane, they were telling people they couldnt park there, I had a slight altercation with a couple of them and an argument came about.

Now what powers do they have? Can they stop me parking there?

What powers do I have and where does it all stand legally as I personally think its crazy, blocking people's driveways in coldean is an issue, but a quiet country lane is getting out of control for me.

Advice?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The stewards are now putting no parking signs on all the layby's now!!

Direct Dave

Oct 26, 2011
I've come across this parking issue before at a music large venue.
My understanding on this whole parking thing is, stewards, club staff or the club as a whole do not physically have the powers to stop people parking where they want on public roads. They do however have to conform with the Council and Police safety policies when it comes to people visiting their venue. This includes visitor parking. If the club cannot control people visiting the venue then the council and police can take action, most likely against the club. With this action a possibility, the club uses stewards, I would think under the advice of Sussex Police, to try and control parking around the Amex. If there is a problem doing this, then I guess they will use the Police to assist.
I can understand where a few of you are coming from, thinking that finding a quiet road to park in, out of the way isn't a problem. But how the club might see it and the Police and Council, is that if half of the visitors decide to start bringing their cars then all of a sudden there could potentially be 6,000 cars withing a mile of the Amex trying to find a somewhere to park and possibly blocking access roads to the stadium for emergency vehicles etc. (even if your vehicle is parked nowhere near an access road, you'll still be deemed as a potential hazard)
So basically, the club has to control it's visitors and follow Police and Council guidelines, if it can't and there's a possible hazard occurring, then the Council could close the venue until the issue is resolved.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
buy a motorbike and park at the amex for free ! ok i had my bike damaged at the palarce game but since then the club put a steward on the bike park and no trouble since i think i was just unlucky at the palarce game and the wanker who damaged my bike would have done same wherever it was parked if he had come across it

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
What about that lay by just before the Texaco garage opposite the Newmarket, where they sometimes have a food van. That must be legal surely and would be about 25 mins walk. Bl**dy dangerous though.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Signs all over the place along the A27 now, looks awful!

There is a lay-by about half a mile before the stadium coming from the east where theres normally about 4 cars in. Being a designated parking space, surely they can't stop people parking there?

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
Im not sure it is Private, it's a little through road. I guess I need to see what signage there is on the lane.

Is there a website or a way to find out?

As a rule of thumb, if the road is full of houses you would love to own but can never afford AND the state of the road itself means you HAVE to use a 4x4 to get down it, then it must be private!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Presumably if we end up pissing off too many people the respective councils could conceivably get the hump and introduce parking restrictions? Not on the private roads of course, but in places like Coldean.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Some locals have got the idea that residents parking may be on the cards with a fee of £90.00 so, as you might guess, they are not best pleased.

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
But surely, when we were at Withdean we had parking restrictions to keep the locals happy and prevent congestion on match days. Any breach of this would have led to the club incurring penalties and the wrath of the council.

Why should it be any different now we are at Falmer? Why do people feel that they have to drive everywhere?

The club have worked hard to set up park and ride facilities and the railway station is right outside the ground.

I come from outside the area, but I wouldn't dream of driving to the game. I park at Polegate and catch the train. I'm not trying to be 'holier than thou' I just don't see the point of all the agro involved in trying to find a parking space that I can guarantee will be safe and not lead me to getting a ticket or being towed away.

Common sense really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports