Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards stopping people parking, What law & power do they have?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There is, but I would imagine the club will have worded it in an appropriate way to avoid this.

I can't think of any wording that would stop the right to park legally outside of the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
But if in the T&C the club asks that you act in accordance with their instructions, helping them fulfill their obligations to reduce environmental impact on match days and you don't act in accordance with their instructions, the fact you have a legal right to park isn't relevant. The fact that you agreed to follow the club's instructions in the T&Cs and then don't follow them is what would give them solid footing.

The fact you have a legal right to park is completely relevant. It could be argued, probably successfully, the clubs T & C's constitute an unreasonable contract, especially if the club punish you for doing something that is perfectly legal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The fact you have a legal right to park is completely relevant. It could be argued, probably successfully, the clubs T & C's constitute an unreasonable contract, especially if the club punish you for doing something that is perfectly legal.

I can't think of any wording that would stop the right to park legally outside of the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

But it's not about wording to prevent you from parking legally, it's about wording an agreement to follow advice/instructions from the club or their representatives (stewards) to help them fulfill certain obligations. The fact that they ask you not to do something that you would otherwise be legally entitled to do becomes irrelevant if you have agreed to follow their instructions relating to those certain matters (with the certain matters being their way to make it a fair agreement in law).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Did you buy a ticket from them??

If so, you accepted their terms and conditions.

so the unfairContrcat arhument would not apply here

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Anybody got the season ticket T's & C's to hand in regards to parking

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I should imagine the local residents of said country lane have complained that fans are using their peaceful access road for matchday parking and when they grumbled to the police they were told it wasn't their problem. Therefore they go and moan to the club instead. The club do not want to make enemies in the area and so show willing by posting stewards to the area to try and discourage fans from using the area for parking.

No they won't have any legal authority to tell you you cannot park there, but the club won't have posted the stewards there if they did not want to stop people from parking there. Therefore continuing to park where you have been asked not to will upset local residents AND the club, who will have to deal with the fallout.

If people do keep parking there it won't be long before the angry locals take matters into their own hands. Once a few cars get broken windows and slashed tyres the problem will go away. If you don't want your car to be one of these victims, I'd start looking for somewhere else to park.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Why?

In any unfair contract dispute, the wording of Terms & Conditions will be at the centre of any dispute. What you may have wittingly or unwittingly agreed to is what will be in dispute as to whether its legally binding. Why would the T & C's of BHA not be subject to the same legal principle's then?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I should imagine the local residents of said country lane have complained that fans are using their peaceful access road for matchday parking and when they grumbled to the police they were told it wasn't their problem. Therefore they go and moan to the club instead. The club do not want to make enemies in the area and so show willing by posting stewards to the area to try and discourage fans from using the area for parking.

No they won't have any legal authority to tell you you cannot park there, but the club won't have posted the stewards there if they did not want to stop people from parking there. Therefore continuing to park where you have been asked not to will upset local residents AND the club, who will have to deal with the fallout.

If people do keep parking there it won't be long before the angry locals take matters into their own hands. Once a few cars get broken windows and slashed tyres the problem will go away. If you don't want your car to be one of these victims, I'd start looking for somewhere else to park.

The Club should ask - is it really a problem? If cars are blocking the lane - fair enough - get the Police involved. But parking for a few hours, around twenty-odd times a year ? A bit of perspective is needed.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The Club should ask - is it really a problem? If cars are blocking the lane - fair enough - get the Police involved. But parking for a few hours, around twenty-odd times a year ? A bit of perspective is needed.

I see what you're saying but perspective sometimes goes out of the window when it means it may jeopardise a furture expansion to have upset residents

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Agree!
It must come down to how selfish a person you are. It has taken years of hard work to finally build at Falmer. The club have obviously made concessions to villagers and councils by agreeing not to park in certain areas and also for fans not to use the footbridge.
As others have said, it's probably not a legal thing but thousands manage to avoid these areas, why can't the rest?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
May have been said already, but just pay for the travel vouchers and then park at Mithras House. If you're still against getting the bus the walk can't be much more than 25 minutes from there can it?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I see what you're saying but perspective sometimes goes out of the window when it means it may jeopardise a furture expansion to have upset residents

But the issue is not going to go away - so the issue needs to be re-defined as "not a problem". Some supporters will just prefer to park and walk, and be under their own steam particularly after games. And the number will increase particularly for evening games when it gets cold and wet. I know I prefer to be moving than standing around waiting in the bun-fights that are the bus queues. So the distance may increase - but the problem will still be there. As I say better for the club to ask - "is it really a problem?".

But if in the T&C the club asks that you act in accordance with their instructions, helping them fulfill their obligations to reduce environmental impact on match days and you don't act in accordance with their instructions, the fact you have a legal right to park isn't relevant. The fact that you agreed to follow the club's instructions in the T&Cs and then don't follow them is what would give them solid footing.

Not necessarily. There is such a thing as unfair contract terms in consumer law

There is, but I would imagine the club will have worded it in an appropriate way to avoid this.

But it's not about wording to prevent you from parking legally, it's about wording an agreement to follow advice/instructions from the club or their representatives (stewards) to help them fulfill certain obligations. The fact that they ask you not to do something that you would otherwise be legally entitled to do becomes irrelevant if you have agreed to follow their instructions relating to those certain matters (with the certain matters being their way to make it a fair agreement in law).

The Club has a legal obligation to comply with the planning conditions relating to travel and parking.

If it does this by imposing terms and conditions on ticket purchasers, those terms and conditions would be deemed "reasonable".

Why is it that parking always gets the barrack-room lawyers crawling out?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
May have been said already, but just pay for the travel vouchers and then park at Mithras House. If you're still against getting the bus the walk can't be much more than 25 minutes from there can it?

I walk with some slow walkers and it took them 55 minutes to walk from the bear. I got fed up waiting for them and made that journey in 45 minutes. When walking from just before moulsecoomb primary school (one of my friends parks at his parents house near there, it takes about 35-40 mins walking (again with slow walkers). I'm fairly confident, walking at my own speed, I could make it from mithras house to the amex in about 30-35 minutes.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The Club has a legal obligation to comply with the planning condition relating to travel and parking.

If it does this by imposing terms and conditions on ticket purchasers, those terms and conditions would be deemed "reasonable".

Why is it that parking always gets the barrack-room lawyers crawling out?

We're all just discussing and speculating. Why is it that the patronising twats come crawling out?

We're all just discussing and speculating. Why is it that the patronising twats come crawling out?
If that is aimed at me ... because, having been involved in the planning process for the stadium and having subsequently had conversations with senior councillors in the current administration in Brighton and Hove, I am aware of how sensitive the decision makers are to any failure of the Club to control parking to the satisfaction of local residents.

Don't underestimate the difficulties that the Club will have in persuading the decision makers that planning permission for an expanded stadium should be granted.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If that is aimed at me ... because, having been involved in the planning process for the stadium and having subsequently had conversations with senior councillors in the current administration in Brighton and Hove, I am aware of how sensitive the decision makers are to any failure of the Club to control parking to the satisfaction of local residents.

Don't underestimate the difficulties that the Club will have in persuading the decision makers that planning permission for an expanded stadium should be granted.

The club also have to trade within consumer law too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here