Stewards stopping people parking, What law & power do they have?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If that is aimed at me ... because, having been involved in the planning process for the stadium and having subsequently had conversations with senior councillors in the current administration in Brighton and Hove, I am aware of how sensitive the decision makers are to any failure of the Club to control parking to the satisfaction of local residents.

Don't underestimate the difficulties that the Club will have in persuading the decision makers that planning permission for an expanded stadium should be granted.

am I missing the point...why do we need further expansion of the stadium? If we stay about mid table, the gates will drop off to around 17k ish, especially now winter is here and its getting cold. If we get up season after next, then yes that is the time to look at increasing the capacity...right now I would like any spare cash to go on strengthening the squad so we stay in this division...bugger extra seats!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If you are parking 20/25 mins walk away then why not in Bevendean/The Avenue area?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Club has a legal obligation to comply with the planning conditions relating to travel and parking.

If it does this by imposing terms and conditions on ticket purchasers, those terms and conditions would be deemed "reasonable".

Why is it that parking always gets the barrack-room lawyers crawling out?

Because this is NSC, and any legal arguments will lead to us discussing them regardless of legal experience or expertise.

I fail to see what I've said that is so painfully wrong, though. I've been highlighting that the legal right to park is irrelevant if the club has something in the T&Cs to allow them to restrict parking, and that they would likely have made sure it wouldn't be deemed an unfair contract.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's face it, this is no big surprise, is it? Those of us who knew we might be affected by this raised it a very long time ago, and many of us have tried alternatives, not always successfully.

Using words like 'selfish' might give the poster some sort of cheap abuse thrill, but they aren't helpful. People arrive from a very wide area, in a wide range of ways, they have to get home at a reasonable time especially for night games.

What troubles me about the whole nature of the debate is that the point of entry seems to be 'Fans that want to drive are evil, and we're going to make life as difficult as possible for them, ripping them off to park with us, or trying to stop them using street parking.'

Whereas in my view the attitude should be 'They are longstanding fans who have paid upwards of £400 a year to come and support us, and we should be trying to help them in any way we can, including standing up to be counted on their behalf over street parking.'

By all means push the trains/buses/P&Rs, incentivise people and show them it can be better. That's essential. But for some people, on particular games (esp evenings), it isn't better and I know because I've tried them all, unlike some of those wading in.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Don't underestimate the difficulties that the Club will have in persuading the decision makers that planning permission for an expanded stadium should be granted.

This.

Considering all the aggro to get the ground built and the possibility of an exstention the club should be doing everything possible to keep the locals happy, even if it does seem a bit silly and OTT.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Let's face it, this is no big surprise, is it? Those of us who knew we might be affected by this raised it a very long time ago, and many of us have tried alternatives, not always successfully.

Using words like 'selfish' might give the poster some sort of cheap abuse thrill, but they aren't helpful. People arrive from a very wide area, in a wide range of ways, they have to get home at a reasonable time especially for night games.

What troubles me about the whole nature of the debate is that the point of entry seems to be 'Fans that want to drive are evil, and we're going to make life as difficult as possible for them, ripping them off to park with us, or trying to stop them using street parking.'

Whereas in my view the attitude should be 'They are longstanding fans who have paid upwards of £400 a year to come and support us, and we should be trying to help them in any way we can, including standing up to be counted on their behalf over street parking.'

By all means push the trains/buses/P&Rs, incentivise people and show them it can be better. That's essential. But for some people, on particular games (esp evenings), it isn't better and I know because I've tried them all, unlike some of those wading in.

Ooh, you mean me.
I assure you, I get no thrill by using the word selfish, but how do YOU describe someone who thinks they can park in a place that the football club, blatantly does not want supporters to use? Especially as it mean penalties to future plans.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
let's face it, this is no big surprise, is it? Those of us who knew we might be affected by this raised it a very long time ago, and many of us have tried alternatives, not always successfully.

What troubles me about the whole nature of the debate is that the point of entry seems to be 'fans that want to drive are evil, and we're going to make life as difficult as possible for them, ripping them off to park with us, or trying to stop them using street parking.'

whereas in my view the attitude should be 'they are longstanding fans who have paid upwards of £400 a year to come and support us, and we should be trying to help them in any way we can, including standing up to be counted on their behalf over street parking.'

by all means push the trains/buses/p&rs, incentivise people and show them it can be better. That's essential. But for some people, on particular games (esp evenings), it isn't better and i know because i've tried them all, unlike some of those wading in.

agree 100%

I fail to see what I've said that is so painfully wrong, though. I've been highlighting that the legal right to park is irrelevant if the club has something in the T&Cs to allow them to restrict parking, and that they would likely have made sure it wouldn't be deemed an unfair contract.
I agree with you.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Ooh, you mean me.
I assure you, I get no thrill by using the word selfish, but how do YOU describe someone who thinks they can park in a place that the football club, blatantly does not want supporters to use? Especially as it mean penalties to future plans.

Genuine question. Have these exclusion zones been clearly defined?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would like to be able to find somewhere to park within a 2 mile walk from the Stadium that does not inconvenience anyone as I do not feel this is unreasonable. What I don't like at the moment is the " do as we dictate or we will ban you " policy that the club seems to be threatening. This comes down from how you sit, what you chant, what you do, whether you complain and numerous other things. From the club begging people to come along and support them for a decade to feeling fans are now " disposable " as there is a waiting list is a dangerous path to go down imo. There must be a middle ground and some mutual respect. Brand BHAFC may have to have a rethink somewhere down the line.

ps - am I banned for saying this ?.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I drive to games as my old man doesnt like getting the train or Bus and have been parking in a country lane up the A27, approx 25 min walk from car to ground.

Now it's very quiet, doesnt block driveways, doesnt hold up traffic, isnt on yellow lines and is way away from anything of relevance.

There is a cluster of other cars that park there aswell.

Now for the Hull game there were 2 car loads of Stewards up the lane, they were telling people they couldnt park there, I had a slight altercation with a couple of them and an argument came about.

Now what powers do they have? Can they stop me parking there?

What powers do I have and where does it all stand legally as I personally think its crazy, blocking people's driveways in coldean is an issue, but a quiet country lane is getting out of control for me.

Advice?

Your car will get vandalised if you park there anyway; happened to me at the palace game and it wasn't an isolated incident. Stewards reckoned that many others had reported the same thing

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
The parking bays in Falmer village have time restrictions. Some of them are residents only bays.

As the time restrictions finish at 18.00hrs (and they are not a resident only bay ) ...does that mean for evening games they could be parked in legally for whatever reason the car owner wants be it feeding the ducks .... walking in the countryside .... going to a match (cough)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't know, but I have seen several 'residents only, no football parking' signs on my way to the stadium at main entry points (appledore road, the turning to barcombe just after the train bridge at the bottom of moulsecoomb way)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps you should be sure before you start mouthing off about people simply trying to ascertain what powers a steward has on land that is nothing to do with the club.

Christ, who rattled your cage? I never commented on the legality of the stewards and whether people could legally park. I was making reference to all those that only think of what is their right and ignore what responsibilities come with that. And for that matter, any consequences in relation to the club taking action against those that repeatedly ignore the travel plans.

Agree!
It must come down to how selfish a person you are. It has taken years of hard work to finally build at Falmer. The club have obviously made concessions to villagers and councils by agreeing not to park in certain areas and also for fans not to use the footbridge.
As others have said, it's probably not a legal thing but thousands manage to avoid these areas, why can't the rest?

Barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid. The 'I know my rights' brigade don't care!

If that is aimed at me ... because, having been involved in the planning process for the stadium and having subsequently had conversations with senior councillors in the current administration in Brighton and Hove, I am aware of how sensitive the decision makers are to any failure of the Club to control parking to the satisfaction of local residents.

There seems to be a minority that don't care about that though (although don't call them selfish because they don't like it).

am I missing the point...why do we need further expansion of the stadium? If we stay about mid table, the gates will drop off to around 17k ish, especially now winter is here and its getting cold. If we get up season after next, then yes that is the time to look at increasing the capacity...right now I would like any spare cash to go on strengthening the squad so we stay in this division...bugger extra seats!!

It's called ambition. Clearly you don't have any. Maybe you would like the club to remain a mid table team (this is pre the win against West Ham that takes us up to 4th!!).

Fans that drive are not evil as I drive. However, I also use the park and ride. Works well and whilst I get home later than I did when we were at Withdean, it's about the same time it took when we were at the Goldstone.

I would like to be able to find somewhere to park within a 2 mile walk from the Stadium that does not inconvenience anyone as I do not feel this is unreasonable. What I don't like at the moment is the " do as we dictate or we will ban you " policy that the club seems to be threatening. This comes down from how you sit, what you chant, what you do, whether you complain and numerous other things. From the club begging people to come along and support them for a decade to feeling fans are now " disposable " as there is a waiting list is a dangerous path to go down imo. There must be a middle ground and some mutual respect. Brand BHAFC may have to have a rethink somewhere down the line.

ps - am I banned for saying this ?.

Not yet but you should be!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Good question, to which I don't know the answer. I would expect they want everyone to use the park and rides.
I'm also pretty sure that if stewards are trying to move people away, that would be one of the zones.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

well tough titty. Because all through the planning process and the planning enquiries for the stadium, the thinking was predicated AGAINST people driving to it

I'm afraid that you will just have to jump in with the rest of us into the "sustainable transport policy"

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
From the leaflet "Arriving at the Amex" www.seagulls.co.uk/latest/0,,10433#2385248,00.html
"Due to the huge demand for tickets, we are considering putting in an application for extra seats - so it is important that we make the stadium run as smootly as possible in all aspects, in particular, travel.

"Supporters are asked to travel on foot, by bike or by publlic transport (including park and ride) as opposed to driving to the stadium"

Those of you who have no choice other than to come by car, I remind you that ALL parking close to the stadium and disabled parking must be pre-booked".

Also
"There are no circumstances under which you will be able to use near site parking if you have not pre-booked.

There are no uncontrolled parking areas at either univerity campus or the Brighton Aldridge Academy; entry to these will be patrolled by stewards.
THERE IS NO ON STREET PARKING ANYWHERE CLOSE BY TO THE STADIUM and there are traffic schemes to make sure these are upheld.

"Nearly residential reas will be controlled by stewards and access on matchdays will be available to residents only.

"If you do park in areas around the stadium, you run a very real risk of receiving a parlking ticket or, worse still, having your car towed away."

Clear enough??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports